Bent over rows

LZD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've searched all over the internet. Many instructional videos of these don't teach you to place the bar on the ground, but some do.

From a strength-building point of view, which way is the best? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I just want to hear what you guys think because I can't get a clear answer from all my google searches... as a beginner I have no way of knowing which sources to trust.

thanks,

I feel that when i put the bar down, i have to start it every time i lift it which builds explosivity (compare with box squats). When putting the bar down you need to be wary of your back angle so that you still get full ROM, not bending so far down that the shoulders aren't completely in the "forward" position when starting the lift.

To be honest, it's really not too important. Some people reset, some don't. Some people do them dynamically, some strict. There is no "best" way, as they will all accomplish the same thing.

Personally, I reset after every rep. It allows me to make sure I stay straight and tight for every rep. I also do them strict, as it's easier to tell if I'm getting stronger, where as with a dynamic row, you can move more weight by getting sloppier.

You'll be fine just doing whichever you prefer.

Thank-you for your answers guys. This one was particularly helpful for my situation:
To be honest, it's really not too important. Some people reset, some don't. Some people do them dynamically, some strict. There is no "best" way, as they will all accomplish the same thing.

Personally, I reset after every rep. It allows me to make sure I stay straight and tight for every rep. I also do them strict, as it's easier to tell if I'm getting stronger, where as with a dynamic row, you can move more weight by getting sloppier.

You'll be fine just doing whichever you prefer.

Back