Benson "Smooth" Henderson vs Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez

SmilingBuddha

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about this yet and it's official for UFC on FOX 7.

I'm a huge Benson fan but i'm not such a huge fan of Gilbert after the latest Thomson fight and how he reacted.

But that being said I can see Ben winning this fight fairly easy, I think he sticks with the same gameplan that he used against Nate Diaz, but maybe we will see a even better Gilbert now that he is the UFC. I'm hoping for a great fight either way!

Your thoughts?

People are way underestimating Gil. He's not going to beat Gil easily by any means.

Interesting fight for sure.

Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu!

Love this fight.

It's too bad that whoever loses was never that good to begin with and should just go back to WEC or Strikeforce since they can't hang with UFC, I mean WEC or Strikeforce fighters.

So I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about this yet and it's official for UFC on FOX 7.

I'm a huge Benson fan but i'm not such a huge fan of Gilbert after the latest Thomson fight and how he reacted.

But that being said I can see Ben winning this fight fairly easy, I think he sticks with the same gameplan that he used against Nate Diaz, but maybe we will see a even better Gilbert now that he is the UFC. I'm hoping for a great fight either way!

Your thoughts?

It absolutely can't be the same gameplan since Gil and Diaz have totally different skillsets. Gil has the boxing and more importantly, the wrestling, to keep this very interesting. Let's not forget that Gil has excellent cardio too.

Bendo is going to run right over Melendez...

Caesar Gracie fans are some of the most uninformed dolts...and I thank them...they inflate the odds...

I actually got Bendo over Nate diaz at -140...thanks to dumb ass fans..

these are the same uninformed idiots who thought Jake Shields was going to dethrone GSP...LOL...

Bendo defeats Melendez easily....

Gilbert has been fighting underwhelming competition over in Strikeforce for a while and his performances have mirrored that of his excitement level in regards to his match-ups. It's been apparent that Gil thinks he should have been in the UFC a long time ago and in my opinion, he lost his last bout.

Whether it is actually Gil not being as good as we thought when he looked merely decent against Masvidal, demonstrating paltry combinations (nothing but one-twos) and meandering through a fight where Jorge messed his face up despite not throwing many strikes, and in my eyes, losing a close decision to Josh Thompson, Gil better hope this lights a fire under his ass or it's going to be a long night against Benson.

A long while ago, Benson used to be an after thought, the guy who got more strife for asking if he could get an amen, not what he had done in the cage. Now, he's the undisputed UFC lightweight champion, coming off his most impressive win and second title defense. People always say fighters have improved when they win, but Benson is a much different fighter than he used to be and is consistently showing more facets of game and how to properly utilize them.

I think he bullies Gilbert around, utilizes his size and tires Gilbert out, slightly mixing in his ability to abuse range with his kicks. Gilbert is used to fighting slightly better than average guys while Benson has been fighting the best guys there is. I think he'll drop a decision to Benson. This has the potential to be a great fight if Gilbert fights up to his, but Benson is on a roll and is a much tougher match-up than anyone Gilbert has fought in a long time, if ever.

Gilbert's key here is to take advantage of Benson's striking defense liabilities and use his massive power to hurt Benson and take control of the fight. However, Benson is notorious for his recovery, so that might not be an option. For a lightweight, Gilbert does have cement in his fights, though.

It absolutely can't be the same gameplan since Gil and Diaz have totally different skillsets. Gil has the boxing and more importantly, the wrestling, to keep this very interesting. Let's not forget that Gil has excellent cardio too.

Yeah that's for sure, you have a very good point. I just see Ben being a little more well rounded and stronger then him, but like you said I could be easily wrong.

Gilbert has been fighting underwhelming competition over in Strikeforce for a while and his performances have mirrored that of his excitement level in regards to his match-ups. It's been apparent that Gil thinks he should have been in the UFC a long time ago and in my opinion, he lost his last bout.

Whether it is actually Gil not being as good as we thought when he looked merely decent against Masvidal, demonstrating paltry combinations (nothing but one-twos) and meandering through a fight where Jorge messed his face up despite not throwing many strikes, and in my eyes, losing a close decision to Josh Thompson, Gil better hope this lights a fire under his ass or it's going to be a long night against Benson.

A long while ago, Benson used to be an after thought, the guy who got more strife for asking if he could get an amen, not what he had done in the cage. Now, he's the undisputed UFC lightweight champion, coming off his most impressive win and second title defense. People always say fighters have improved when they win, but Benson is a much different fighter than he used to be and is consistently showing more facets of game and how to properly utilize them.

I think he bullies Gilbert around, utilizes his size and tires Gilbert out, slightly mixing in his ability to abuse range with his kicks. Gilbert is used to fighting slightly better than average guys while Benson has been fighting the best guys there is. I think he'll drop a decision to Benson. This has the potential to be a great fight if Gilbert fights up to his, but Benson is on a roll and is a much tougher match-up than anyone Gilbert has fought in a long time, if ever.

Gilbert's key here is to take advantage of Benson's striking defense liabilities and use his massive power to hurt Benson and take control of the fight. However, Benson is notorious for his recovery, so that might not be an option. For a lightweight, Gilbert does have cement in his fights, though.

Yeah, this is how I see the fight happening. I just think Ben has improved so much more then most of the Lightweights out there, and Gilbert hasn't shown me that he has what it takes to take on such a high level fighter in Benson. I completey agree with you.

Love this fight.

It's too bad that whoever loses was never that good to begin with and should just go back to WEC or Strikeforce since they can't hang with UFC, I mean WEC or Strikeforce fighters.

This is awesome. AGREE

I'm with Substance on this. Although he is just a bendo nut hugger. War Bocek.

I will be rooting for El Nino.

Think they should have built some hype around Gilbert first,the casual fan doesn't know who he is.

I'm with Substance on this. Although he is just a bendo nut hugger. War Bocek.

I will be rooting for El Nino.

Gilbert has the tools to win this and if there was ever a fight for him to come out and demonstrate what he has, this is it. I just think Benson is on a roll, continues to improve and is better approaching fights, being smarter and using his physical attributes to win fights and no longer putting himself in as much danger. I think Gil is going to be surprised how strong Benson is.

And yes, I am a Benson hugger. Represent. I'm one of the few who have been for a long time.

Ben by being, bigger ,stronger, faster, smarter ,and just a better fighter than gil

WAR Melendez !!! "El Nino" by 4th round TKO Referee Stoppage via strikes !

Back