Benson Henderson vs. Thiago Alves targeted for main event of UFC's South Korean debut

Thiago has a lot of mileage... Benson might just take it. This is a sick match up though, I want to see how Bendo does against Thiago's leg kicks.

Good fight I think. Will watch it.

Benson will want to strike with Alves, it will be fun.

Great fight!!! I see Bendo taking it by UD.
Thought Alves was moving down to LW, anyway?

Good fight, real good fight. 5 rounds I say Benson.

Great fight. Benson earning back the fans' favor with these brawls after many years of close decisions.

search-bars.gif

PRO TIP: if the story hit nearly 2 hours ago there is a 99.99999% chance there is a thread on this already. Which there is.

Use the search bar, it's really not that hard to use.

sorry I hurt your feelings dude. Another gold star for you. Keep it up. Hope you can exchange it for a life or a woman's cadaver so you can finally get lucky. lulz

Decent matchup but not great as a main event.

Bendo hasn't signed contract extension with UFC and this is the last fight on his contract.
There is a big chance UFC let him go like Davis and Thomson if he loses this fight.

Love it.

Those saying alves won't make weight haven't been paying attention, hes not nearly as big as he used to be. He will make 155 nov problem

According to sources close to the promotion, the UFC is targeting a welterweight fight between Benson Henderson and Thiago Alves to headline the Nov. 28 show at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena in Seoul, South Korea. The fight has yet to be finalized, but if it is, expect it to be announced in the coming weeks.

Henderson (22-5), a former UFC and WEC lightweight champion who's coming off an undisclosed injury, has decided to stay at 170 pounds after his successful debut against Brandon Thatch in February. His team has always maintained that they were open to fighting at 155 or 170 pounds, they just wanted big fights. And for Henderson, whose mother is South Korean, headlining the UFC's first show in the region would certainly qualify as a big deal.
"I'll do whatever it is I physically, possibly can," Henderson said on a May episode of "The MMA Hour" about fulfilling his dream to fight in South Korea. "I will be ready for that Korea card. And you're going to see a whole new beast.

"I think we decided, my coach and I, John Crouch, to go up to 170. We're going to take the time off to rebuild my body. We're going to do a whole new unveiling for 170. I'm trying to walk around at 182 to 185, walk around at maybe six- or five-percent body fat, and just be explosive. Really open some eyes up with my next fight at 170."

As for Alves, he has decided to put his reported plans to move down to lightweight on hold for now, as well. However, sources close to the veteran fighter said recently they wouldn't rule it out in the future. Alves (21-10) recently had his two-fight winning streak snapped when he lost via second-round TKO to Carlos Condit in May.

Awesome stuff.

If Benson comes in significantly bigger than he usually is, and still maintains his awesome cardio then I see Alves being put through hell in this one.

Decent fight in my books, no idea why a few of you would want to see Guunar fighting Bendo tbh. No real name over there I'd imagine, he's ranked #11/10 or so iirc. It'd be a waste of a fight at this time against Henderson.

thatch bigger than alves, right?

Height and reach for sure. Alves is significantly shorter, but thick. Trying 155 would be a last ditch effort for him to remain relavant. He has really struggled to make 170 his entire career.

Holy shit what a fight!

Sad to see one of them lose, but I think and hope Alves is gonna take it. 49-46, both guys look good, Bendo can barely walk at the end of the fight.

Bendos footwork can nullify a lot of striking stretches but I think Alves can deal with that with his kicks. Only loses in an Alves-Kampman like scenario IMO.

I was literally JUST thinking this would be a cool matchup for Benson. Like mere moments ago, and now I see its in the works. I must be psychic.

Now we get to see what happens when Thiago's leg kicks collide with Bensons tree trunk thighs...

Back