Benson Henderson vs. Thiago Alves targeted for main event of UFC's South Korean debut

vkram

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The UFC is close to finalizing the main event for its debut event in South Korea.

According to sources close to the promotion, the UFC is targeting a welterweight fight between Benson Henderson and Thiago Alves to headline the Nov. 28 show at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena in Seoul, South Korea. The fight has yet to be finalized, but if it is, expect it to be announced in the coming weeks.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/2...-thiago-alves-targeted-for-main-event-of-ufcs

Unsure if it will be at WW or LW

If it's at LW, it will be Alves first loss at LW.

Benson via submission

So Benson wants to fight at WW and Alves wants to fight at LW but they get matched up against eachother? Interdasting

Is Bendo going full-time to the WW division?
And didn't Alves say he was dropping down? He wants to test himself against a former LW before dropping?

What the fuck kind of ME is that? FFS, Bendo via sub or grapplefuck. Stupid.

Im goin with alves via lay and pray. you know what.....ima bet my house on it

odd fight. You have a LW who wants to fight more at WW and a WW that's never made LW but wants to debut there.

Just give Alves a fight with Tibau as a mean joke and have Bendo headline against someone fun like Gunnar.

odd fight. You have a LW who wants to fight more at WW and a WW that's never made LW but wants to debut there.

Just give Alves a fight with Tibau as a mean joke and have Bendo headline against someone fun like Gunnar.

Tibau and Alves are both ATT

lame. just lame. No desire to watch Boring Bendo headline.

Is Bendo going full-time to the WW division?
And didn't Alves say he was dropping down? He wants to test himself against a former LW before dropping?

The UFC is close to finalizing the main event for its debut event in South Korea.

According to sources close to the promotion, the UFC is targeting a welterweight fight between Benson Henderson and Thiago Alves to headline the Nov. 28 show at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena in Seoul, South Korea. The fight has yet to be finalized, but if it is, expect it to be announced in the coming weeks.

Henderson (22-5), a former UFC and WEC lightweight champion who's coming off an undisclosed injury, has decided to stay at 170 pounds after his successful debut against Brandon Thatch in February. His team has always maintained that they were open to fighting at 155 or 170 pounds, they just wanted big fights. And for Henderson, whose mother is South Korean, headlining the UFC's first show in the region would certainly qualify as a big deal.
"I'll do whatever it is I physically, possibly can," Henderson said on a May episode of "The MMA Hour" about fulfilling his dream to fight in South Korea. "I will be ready for that Korea card. And you're going to see a whole new beast.

"I think we decided, my coach and I, John Crouch, to go up to 170. We're going to take the time off to rebuild my body. We're going to do a whole new unveiling for 170. I'm trying to walk around at 182 to 185, walk around at maybe six- or five-percent body fat, and just be explosive. Really open some eyes up with my next fight at 170."

As for Alves, he has decided to put his reported plans to move down to lightweight on hold for now, as well. However, sources close to the veteran fighter said recently they wouldn't rule it out in the future. Alves (21-10) recently had his two-fight winning streak snapped when he lost via second-round TKO to Carlos Condit in May.

I might be the only one who likes this fight. The outcome will most likely depend on what weight they fight at. I don't see Benson beating Alves if it's at 170 I think Thiago is just too big for Benson to get down and he is also a better technical striker, however if this is Thiago's first fight at 155 Benson could possibly wear him out and make his seriously regret the weight cut if he can push it past the first couple rounds.

A catch weight of 162 or so would probably be ideal here, like what they did for Franklin and Wanderlei's first fight. Silva was moving down to middleweight and Rich was moving up to LHW so they fought in the middle at 195. I'd like to see the same thing happen here. Before Thiago moves all the way down to 155, let him test out the weight cut at a catch weight first.

Back