Benson Henderson says B.J. Penn is lightweight GOAT.

How about why did he fight Frankie Edgar for a third time standing straight up on his tippy toes? What was it about those first two beatings he took from Edgar that would lead him to think this strategy was a good idea?

Unmotivated Penn was robbed in the first fight
The robbery caused further motivation to be lost and he actually lost the 2nd fight
The 3rd fight was not Bj Penn but an impostor that fights on his tippy toes.

Khabib has 4 high level opponents: RDA, Conor, Poirier and Gaethje, but aside from those 4 very impressive fights his competition is really low for a guy that people are talking about as an all time great.

How many "high level" opponents does Bendo then have in his UFC run? RDA, Edgar, Pettis, Melendez, Thomspon? He lost twice to one of those guys, got Koed by another, and sqeeuuked out wins vs others.

If the rest of Khabib's competion is not high level, then I fail to see how Bendo's is either.

Penn largely made a career off of reaching beyond his means and losing impressively.

He was the McGregor of his day but with more freedom to have freakshow fights because of the era (though, i think, he was better than McGregor is).

Eh, no. He won in impressive fashion when the odds were against him. I dont even like the guy, but you're a moron.

Khabib fought @ WW he was just content fighting cans in Russia and not testing himself at welter like BJ did

Bagov and Eldarov are WWs and are certainly not cans.

He's looked pretty skeletal at 45. Do I really need to post the pics? I don't think he ever missed weight, but that doesn't mean he wasn't cutting a lot. He's fought twice at 170 without looking fat, soft, or bloated, unlike BJ. Come on, now.
Remember when Aldo looked awful for a ton of 145lb weigh ins? Now he fights at 135lbs. Mcgregor just had undisciplined cuts. Not enough dieting and mainly water cutting. Aldo was no different. Mcgregor and many others wing their weight cuts for some reason.

How many "high level" opponents does Bendo then have in his UFC run? RDA, Edgar, Pettis, Melendez, Thomspon? He lost twice to one of those guys, got Koed by another, and sqeeuuked out wins vs others.

If the rest of Khabib's competion is not high level, then I fail to see how Bendo's is either.
Cowboy for one is an obvious one, Khabib pulled out multiple times against Cerrone. Prime Cerrone was a tough fight but Benson showed up to fight him multiple times while Khabib for some reason kept pulling out and refusing to fight Cerrone in his prime.

If Khabib was always so great then why did he duck Cerrone? He always ducked anyone he thought might be a tough fight.

Last edited:
“Who cares about my opinion?” he prefaces his take. “But I’m not gonna put Khabib up there for the greatest ever of all time. You can maybe consider him one of the greats for 155, but as far as one of the greatest of all-time in all weight classes, nah. You might have to miss me on that one. That’s saying something. Greatest of all time, I think there are a good 10 or 15 above him. I’m one of those purists who is about longevity as well. Somebody who has been there and competed at the top level. Not somebody who is 35-0 but only has really 10 fights against the top-level guys.

“For me, B.J. Penn is the greatest lightweight of all time. He’s up there for one of the greatest fighters of all weight classes, period. All-time. He did it against the best in the world, at the time they were the best in the world. You can’t complain about he didn’t fight this guy or that guy. At the time that he was fighting, in his heyday, he was fighting the best in the world and he was putting them away. For me, B.J. is up there...”

https://www.mmamania.com/2021/10/12...at-p4p-benson-henderson-bellator-ufc-mma-news
i agree about khabib and longevity, and that his undefeated record has lots of cans, etc., but how is bj a suitable alternative? i mean yeah, khabib crushed a few cans in his day, but for the last decade or so, bj has basically been a can. hate to say it, but it’s true. who cares if bj fought “the best” if he almost always lost to them? khabib and bj just don’t belong in same conversation.

Cowboy for one is an obvious one, Khabib pulled out multiple times against Cerrone. Prime Cerrone was a tough fight but Benson showed up to fight him multiple times while Khabib for some reason kept pulling out and refusing to fight Cerrone in his prime.

If Khabib was always so great then why did he duck Cerrone?

LMAO at the notion that Khabib ducked a guy like Cerrone.
Khabib demolished multiple people who crushed Cerrone.

Injuries happen man, stop reaching for an absurd hypothesis.

But the facts remains Cerrone (who was by far the bigger name at the time) wanted to fight Khabib multiple times and Khabib pulled out multiple times. Khabib is the reason the fight never happened. Khabib had multiple times to fight Cerrone and he always refused to do so.

Last edited:

So then why did he pull out of multiple fights with Cerrone? Cerrone was pushing hard for the fight, Khabib pulled out of every possible fight with Cerrone.

Umm any older fighter who's drunk can get beat up by a bigger person lol. I would've ko bj too.
Dude no goat of any combat sports can't be ko'd in streets by a guy who can't even punch shut your bullshit when did you see a guy like manny pacquiao getting ko'd in street no one in street wouldnt even touch boxing greats and weight doesnt even matter if you are goat of a combat sport bj penn getting ko'd in street is the proof of him fighting at bunch of bar fighters with blue belts era

Dude no goat of any combat sports can't be ko'd in streets by a guy who can't even punch shut your bullshit when did you see a guy like manny pacquiao getting ko'd in street no one in street wouldnt even touch boxing greats and weight doesnt even matter if you are goat of a combat sport bj penn getting ko'd in street is the proof of him fighting at bunch of bar fighters with blue belts era

Sorry kid. You must never been drunk. I would ko professional fighter who drunk stubbling everywhere.

In all Goat talks, recency bias is king. BJ penn is a multiple division champ, and Khabib retired while he was on top so people will say that he left the division before it got stronger (unfair, but people will say it in the future). I'm disappointed about the lack of respect for both fighters.

Sorry kid. You must never been drunk. I would ko professional fighter who drunk stubbling everywhere.
You wouldn't do anything to current mma champs while they are drunk but maybe you can ko some pre mcgregor era bums

I'm assuming the 'BJ Penn is lw goat' supporters base this on everything prior to the first Frankie loss...so let's just take a look at that period:
21 fights of which only 13 were at lightweight (so not sure where Bendo comes from with his argument that Khabib didnt have enough fights )
Wins against
Sanchez, Florian, Sherk, Stevenson, Pulver, Gomi, Serra, Creighton, Uno, Thomas, Gilbert
Loss against Pulver
Draw against Uno

Sorry but that isnt a lw goat career. I'd put Khabib's, Frankie's, Dustin's & Tony's wins all above those. Penn was great, but not goat.

Back