1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Benson Henderson says B.J. Penn is lightweight GOAT.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Karl_Hungus, Oct 13, 2021.

1. campbecc Gold Belt

But the facts remains Cerrone (who was by far the bigger name at the time) wanted to fight Khabib multiple times and Khabib pulled out multiple times. Khabib is the reason the fight never happened. Khabib had multiple times to fight Cerrone and he always refused to do so.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. campbecc Gold Belt

So then why did he pull out of multiple fights with Cerrone? Cerrone was pushing hard for the fight, Khabib pulled out of every possible fight with Cerrone.

3. Rauf Saraçlı White Belt

Bj penn isn't even top 2 lw lmao dustin is above him for sure

4. Rauf Saraçlı White Belt

Dude no goat of any combat sports can't be ko'd in streets by a guy who can't even punch shut your bullshit when did you see a guy like manny pacquiao getting ko'd in street no one in street wouldnt even touch boxing greats and weight doesnt even matter if you are goat of a combat sport bj penn getting ko'd in street is the proof of him fighting at bunch of bar fighters with blue belts era

5. kenetics Gold Belt

Sorry kid. You must never been drunk. I would ko professional fighter who drunk stubbling everywhere.

6. Dr Retro White Belt

In all Goat talks, recency bias is king. BJ penn is a multiple division champ, and Khabib retired while he was on top so people will say that he left the division before it got stronger (unfair, but people will say it in the future). I'm disappointed about the lack of respect for both fighters.

7. Rauf Saraçlı White Belt

You wouldn't do anything to current mma champs while they are drunk but maybe you can ko some pre mcgregor era bums

8. waldywaldy lol motherfuckers

Preach Benson!

9. kenetics Gold Belt

Yup. I would , sorry kid.

10. Madeline Chelsea Orange Belt

It was one of the most one-sided shellacking of a legend we’ve seen in recent memory. And make no mistake, Penn is a legend. The former two-division UFC champ is like the honorary Governor of Hawaii or something.
    [​IMG]

11. Aberlour Green Belt

I'm assuming the 'BJ Penn is lw goat' supporters base this on everything prior to the first Frankie loss...so let's just take a look at that period:
    21 fights of which only 13 were at lightweight (so not sure where Bendo comes from with his argument that Khabib didnt have enough fights )
    Wins against
    Sanchez, Florian, Sherk, Stevenson, Pulver, Gomi, Serra, Creighton, Uno, Thomas, Gilbert
    Loss against Pulver
    Draw against Uno

Sorry but that isnt a lw goat career. I'd put Khabib's, Frankie's, Dustin's & Tony's wins all above those. Penn was great, but not goat.

12. bigwaverider ✌️ SHOOP MOD ✌️ Staff Member Senior Moderator

Benson has more. He also has 3X WEC LW belts.

Fioretti and Rebelfett like this.
  13. ki11ian Green Belt

Ofc he is entitled to have an opinion, even of it is dead wrong.

14. Dirty Frank el ballsbreaker

All fighters, huh? It's not like BJ holds the record for most consecutive losses, right?

<Dany07>

15. Dirty Frank el ballsbreaker

Nostalgia train running smoothly here

16. Madeline Chelsea Orange Belt

He's the GOAT lightweight, sherdog told me so.

17. Madeline Chelsea Orange Belt

I know what’s happening... BJ is trying to look like shit to diminish the fact GSP beat him twice. It all makes sense now...

18. Fioretti Beef

Oh, I know. I'm not a fan of cutting big weight. Most I ever cut myself was like 17 pounds. My point was Conor at 170 still looked cut and muscular, compared to BJ who looked soft and bloated. Then look at his record at 45 compared to above. Cutting big weight attributed greatly to his success.

19. snaportap21 Purple Belt

His weight cutting wasn’t that extreme at fw. Volkanovski entered the cage at 166lbs for ufc 232. Imagine his walk around. Ortega walks around at 185. Holloway was 178lbs on fight night for one of the Aldo fights. Edson Barboza is a FW. Giga is Edson’s size if not bigger than Edson. All of these guys besides volk have about 2 inches on Mcgregor. He was smaller than Dustin when they fought at FW as well. Don’t forget Siver was a WW as well. I don’t feel Mcgregor was out of place at FW. His record got worse after he got distracted with boxing training and became rich. I feel his decline can be attributed to this instead of weight.

Alexander_GOATanovski likes this.
  20. Fioretti Beef

I disagree. He's 3-4 above FW, finished in all 4 losses. Most think he should be 2-5.