Benson Henderson: "Let's see who's game at 170 lbs???"

I don't see things going well for him there

In fact, I can see Ben's wish to retire within a few years coming true sooner than he thought. At LW, he won't take that belt back - Pettis has beaten him twice, RDA TKO'd him in 1st round, Khabib would be a fucking nightmare for him considering Rustam gave him a tough 4-round fight. Cerrone is capable of it going either way, if they fought again.

Ben's been found out. Great A-Level athlete, great game-planner, great at implementing a strategy, tough, good everywhere....but not a great fighter. I've said this for a while, Ben doesn't fight like 'a fighter' he fights like a strategical game-planner who's aim is to win on points.

That can get you places, but you'll peak out once top, top guys realise that you aren't trying to finish them, so they can get more aggressive. Josh Thomson should've won, Edgar should've won fight #1.

Melendez was close, but I thought Ben did enough.

Truth is, when your only gameplan is to out-work and out-point the other guy, sooner or later you'll be found out. He doesn't pose a threat in terms of a finish, if you're a top level guy. So you can go for broke and try to exploit his weaknesses.

WW will be even tougher for him. He'll get a few solid, winnable fights but once hits the top deck of contenders, his lack of A-Game will once again be exposed massively by big, strong wrestlers and KO artists.

It's probably a good move in terms of opportunities for big fights. He's been set back too far at LW with his recent losses; his choices are to either resign himself to spend years crawling back up from the bottom at LW or get a fresh start at the only other weight class he can realistically compete at.

If he wants to test the water at 170 maybe Doomsday would be a good fight to start off with?

He has nothing to lose

His position as a top ten fighter, his ability to take punches due to many dangerous fights at WW and even his place in the UFC if this losing streak continues. Do you think the UFC will want to give him a decent payday as guy that can be boring at times and on a big losing streak. This man needs a win most of all and can't risk taking a losing streak four deep.

I have no doubt the cut for him to get to 155 is brutal and he's in a weird spot due to recent losses, but this is a bad idea. He will be hugely out-sized. Big time weight cutting is just part of the game now.

IDK mayne, Love some Bendo but man he wasn't able to finish at LW and wasn't necessarily a big LW at that. He'd probably be 10lbs undersized at WW and there are some killers in there.

Oh well good luck to him and hopefully he can make waves.

Who loses a fight by judge's robbery then goes up a weight class?

Bendo, you're supposed to drop down after a loss!

Benson seems to have lost his fighting focus since his marriage.

IDK mayne, Love some Bendo but man he wasn't able to finish at LW and wasn't necessarily a big LW at that. He'd probably be 10lbs undersized at WW and there are some killers in there.

Oh well good luck to him and hopefully he can make waves.

I'm pretty sure that in 170 both fighters will scale approximately 170 at weighins. He is (according to wiki) same height than Johny Hendrics so I don't think he will be that small.
After few months of proper eating he can change his name to Benson "Big Rig" Henderson and he will be quoted as biggest man in division :)

i dunno, benson doesnt seem to have gas tank issues like RUmble did at WW. how does he benefit

I'm pretty sure that in 170 both fighters will scale approximately 170 at weighins. He is (according to wiki) same height than Johny Hendrics so I don't think he will be that small.
After few months of proper eating he can change his name to Benson "Big Rig" Henderson and he will be quoted as biggest man in division :)

f_b69d2e74ef.jpg

Weigh-in weight and height have nothing to do with it. Benson cuts from mid 175ish to get to 155 while the guys that are seasoned at 170 cut from about 190 if not more. So to give you an example of a hypothetical fight

Benson would come in fight night fully hydrated at around 175 meanwhile Hendricks (since you included him) would weigh around 205-210.

i dunno, benson doesnt seem to have gas tank issues like RUmble did at WW. how does he benefit

Benson also isn't a natural LHW

I don't have any interest in seeing him fight at WW. He gets wrecked by the top 10

I don't like the idea.
But who knows, maybe he Will have some succes

I would love to see what happens if he tries punching Lawler in the thigh

Ah, the BJ Penn method. Lose two in a row at LW then move to WW where the competition is easier.

Then retire on a 3-fights skid.

Back