Benson Henderson: "Let's see who's game at 170 lbs???"

where did pirlo go?

Took some time off... He'll be back don't worry!

Andrea-Pirlo.jpg

not just his striking, his whole style changed. Ben dosnt come forward with the "Dominate" mindset anymore. He dosnt seem to try to make the fights grueling so he can wear down his opponents and batter them. Even with his striking you can tell....the last shots that wernt kicks ben committed to were the elbows against gil.

guys like thompson,RDA,and cowboy are backing ben up with forward pressure, when that used to be bens forward pressure. Although ben shoud have beat cowboy

Yeah, definite change.

Not that I'm completely against it, certainly more calculated and easy on body.

But completely ditching what made him successful just doesn't seem smart, and it is showing.

If he had shown at least some aggression after tagging Cowboy, he would probably have better decision.

Tough to say if he'll do better or worse. Only actually doing it will give us the answer. He's a huge LW. Maybe not being drained by the cut will make him perform better and help his finishing ability because he won't be sapped. Cerrome is tall. He didn't struggle with the height difference.

lw and ww both tend to be populated by people of similar height. It's mw where they get tall. Or so it seems to be for some reason.

I actually thought Benson won that close fight. But yeah, he will make some noise at 170, you can bet on that.

Well, he is the same height as Bigg Rigg so it is possible. Henderson is an exceptional athlete.

Yeah, definite change.

Not that I'm completely against it, certainly more calculated and easy on body.

But completely ditching what made him successful just doesn't seem smart, and it is showing.

If he had shown at least some aggression after tagging Cowboy, he would probably have better decision.

yeah i can see what your sayin. Easier to use speed and well timed strikes from distance, but machida showed some judges just dont give a fuck....

easy for me to say "just go forward"....but even in the Gil fight...it seemed hard for ben to try to fight "mean". Maybe frankie's style rubbed off a little

I've always seen WW as the cut-off point for smaller frame fighters, the absolute heaviest and strongest they can get while keeping within optimal frame requirements. Not really sure why Bendo thinks he can bully this lot, but I'm guessing he knows better than me.

Even with success, he's gonna need more than razor close decisions to get a WW titleshot. He needs his "in your face" style back.

He's complained that the weight cut takes too much out of him since forever. He might feel 1.5 weight classes stronger going up to 170 and he will be better off.

It's karma that he for once lost a decision, he lost to gilbert and the second fight to frankie imo. He would get smashed against anybody in the top10 at 170. I think his best bet is to stay at 155, as a former champion, he's never going to be to far away from a titleshot anyway. The problem is that he lost to Pettis twice, and now he's coming off to losses in a row, one fight where he got stopped and another where he lost a close fight.

He was not even the best wrestler at 155, at 170 you have monsters like Hendricks, Lombard, Woodley, Rory, Ellenberger, Maia, Koscheck is making a comeback as well and I still feel like he could be a top 10 guy.

Last edited:
I will become his fan if he does that....fight at him natural weight.

I like Ben I think he's an effective fighter at LW at 170 you have to be more than effective. Ben will get wins at 170 could even crack top 10 but he would have to up his finish game to level lethal because trying to out point guys at 170 is a tall task with the hitters in that division.

Terrible idea. hes not that fast at 155. Thigh punches and shitty side kicks will do even less up there.

I don't like this decision. He's doing fine at LW. I feel like WW is not the best choice for him.

Give him Koscheck or Rick Story. Or even better, Nick Diaz after he loses to Silva.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm in the minority here .. But I think he can be Top Ten in WW. I am a Brown fan but Bendo would go for his Body and could win that fight I believe (Browns Top ten) , he could outwrestle Wonderboy and Mein (just outside Top Ten fighters).

I don't see him beatling Rory , Lawler or T-wood .. But I don't see why he can't beat the Mythical Lombard .. Lombard didn't look great against Burkman and while he Has 1 punch KO power .. I think Bendo could get a decision against him.

On the other hand except possibly Mein and Wonderboy .. I doubt Bendo would get many finished in WW .. But I think by the end of next year he'll be Top Ten for sure .

Time will tell.

Back