Beneil Dariush vs Michael Johnson

Johnson via KO. Dariush is getting overrated based on winning some good stylistic matchups for him over 2 washed up guys: Cruickshank who is likely cut and Miller who has been on a noticeable decline for over 3 years now (guy was Pat Healy's only win in the octagon).

Dariush got ko'd by Nijem ffs. Johnson sprawls, brawls, and avoids a few butt scoots on his way to a dominant victory and a title eliminator

Not saying Dariush will win, but can fighters not improve? Come on son. Michael Johnson is a great example of that.

Rooting for Dariush.

I can't believe he's co-main for a UFC card. I still remember I was a blue belt and he was a brown belt at Ralph Gracie back in the days.

Dariush's opponents have an 18-25 UFC record. Darish's last 6 opponents are 9-16 in prev-4 bouts. Johnson's have a 42-20 and 17-7 respectively.

The big concern for Johnson is his history of being subbed (6 times), as Dariush is a ground fighter. Johnson's been taking on strikers. He hasn't had to show he's improved in that department. But, to be fair, four of his six submissions losses come prior to 2010.

I'd set the fight at +120 for Beneil, -140 for Johnson. Over/Under at 2.5 for -170/+130

Dariush's opponents have an 18-25 UFC record. Darish's last 6 opponents are 9-16 in prev-4 bouts. Johnson's have a 42-20 and 17-7 respectively.

that is an interesting factoid

that is an interesting factoid

I do my work :)

This card has actually been one of the best (most frustrating) when it comes to matchups where an advantage is negated by another fact. Johnson v Dariush is all counter-arguing facts that make it hard to bet. I'll be siding with Johnson, but if I lose the intuitive nagging part of my brain will be satisfied with an "I told you so", lol.

Didnt realize this fight is so soon! Hope Dariush wins this

Not saying Dariush will win, but can fighters not improve? Come on son. Michael Johnson is a great example of that.

I would hope he has improved, Johnson that is. He's been tapped 6 times

Ill be rooting for Johnson but Dariush is a very difficult matchup for him. MilesAbove pretty much nailed it

There's something about Dariush I just dont give a shit about which is making me not give a shit about this fight.

You have no soul. The guy has it all. If you dont give a shit about Dariush, you don't give a shit about watching high quality MMA imho.

Johnson via KO. Dariush is getting overrated based on winning some good stylistic matchups for him over 2 washed up guys: Cruickshank who is likely cut and Miller who has been on a noticeable decline for over 3 years now (guy was Pat Healy's only win in the octagon).

Dariush got ko'd by Nijem ffs. Johnson sprawls, brawls, and avoids a few butt scoots on his way to a dominant victory and a title eliminator

So you're basing Johnson winning of the fact Beniel got KO'd by a fighter, but yet Johnson has been submitted 6 times and twice in the UFC by lesser grapplers. And he's facing a ground guy here.

I would hope he has improved, Johnson that is. He's been tapped 6 times

Only by Medadi in even semi-recent memory. Before that it was Sass in 2011. Prior to that, four subs came from the previous decade. But.... like I said.... he hasn't had to prove himself since Medadi. Lauzon has been his toughest ground test since Medadi. Tibau, Guillard, and Barboza don't test one's rolling.

Like I said, it's a bout filled with contradicting strengths/weaknesses.

Both fighters have been trending, but at different levels, look for MJ to land his patented reverse ridge hand shovel punch and end it in the second.

I think Dariush is going to struggle with the footwork and speed of Johnson. Johnson chews him up with body work and makes him pay for attempts to clinch and shoot enroute to a late T/KO or clear dec.

Beneill def. can win if he can get it to the ground. MJ's ground game has been his biggest hole and it hasn't been tested much since his last loss.

The big concern for Johnson is his history of being subbed (6 times), as Dariush is a ground fighter. Johnson's been taking on strikers. He hasn't had to show he's improved in that department. But, to be fair, four of his six submissions losses come prior to 2010.

I'd set the fight at +120 for Beneil, -140 for Johnson. Over/Under at 2.5 for -170/+130

He has show his TDD is much improved as witnessed by the Tibau fight. Tibau outwrestled Kabib and has some of the best wrestling in the UFC and he couldn't get near MJ. Dariush is good on the ground but I dont give him much chance of getting the fight there.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-stats

Select grappling and look whos on top of the takedowns landed list.

He has show his TDD is much improved as witnessed by the Tibau fight. Tibau outwrestled Kabib and has some of the best wrestling in the UFC and he couldn't get near MJ. Dariush is good on the ground but I dont give him much chance of getting the fight there.

Select grappling and look whos on top of the takedowns landed list.

Tibau also has more fights than anyone in the UFC. And the bout wasn't much of a showing when you look at it objectively for Johnson. Tibau is not a finisher and is even less of a submission artist.

I'm not trying to take away from Johnson as far as a win, because he damn-sure earned it. But when looking at capping this bout, it has less weight than one might thing on face value.

Easy win for Johnson honestly. MJ will make Dariush look bad, mark my words.

Back