Beneil Dariush teaches his open guard

Sebastian trains at my gym and is a real monster. He complimented Beneil on his guard in an interview he gave after winning the Mundials, which means a lot coming from a guy who passes and dominates pretty much EVERYONE from the top.

What's the reason for starting with the hook/leg lasso when pulling this guard from the knees, versus putting the foot immediately on the hip?

wonderful match... thanks for sharing

This guy has a great guard, but unless I am missing something, the "Dariush" guard is the most generic, basic of all open guards -- cross collar, same sleeve, feet on hips. That's not to say it isn't extremely effective ... Margarida for example was a demon with it .... but it's the most basic open guard.

He sets it up from the arm lasso, which is more modern for sure, but the guard itself is like open guard 101.

Strange that open guard has gone through so many evolutions that the most fundamental kind is now seen as something novel.

This guy has a great guard, but unless I am missing something, the "Dariush" guard is the most generic, basic of all open guards -- cross collar, same sleeve, feet on hips. That's not to say it isn't extremely effective ... Margarida for example was a demon with it .... but it's the most basic open guard.

He sets it up from the arm lasso, which is more modern for sure, but the guard itself is like open guard 101.

Strange that open guard has gone through so many evolutions that the most fundamental kind is now seen as something novel.

Fair enough!

As I mentioned before its more the way he organized and combined positions that makes it more modern. I share a similar point of view about your comment about techniques coming full circle.

None of which he invented or made popular. He just uses them together very well and have been successful. The leg lasso to upside down guard back to hand in the collar always attacking. Beneil is very humble. I am going to change the title of the youtube video to not rub anybody the wrong way.

Trumpet dan can you do a video about how he adapts the guard to nogi? Or does he just play a different guard?

Great video. Any particular reason why he sets it up with the leg lasso first?

I'm also interested in how he adapts his game to no gi. Be kind and share?

i noticed his nogi success as well. i'm curious about benny's nogi game too. i know it's probably not in the cards for a video, but i'd like to hear what you have to say dan.

Cool. Been using this guard for a couple of months.

The biggest problem I have is when my opponent controls my left leg (the one on his right hip) with his right hand by gripping my gi pants at the knee or just at my thigh just above the knee. This control prevents me from shooting my left leg up for the triangle or omoplata because he keeps my hips far from his right armpit with the control.

I have trouble breaking his right hand grip because it's controlled right above the knee and I can't just kick it off like I would if it was controlled at my pant cuff.

Any ideas?

benny and I were joking about how everybody was asking how you do this no gi. I thought about making a troll video on how to adapt it to no gi with a whole bunch of bs about invisible collars. haha...too bad im too lazy...it was a pretty funny idea in my head at least.

Benny doesnt use this no gi. I dont even think benny knows what he does no gi thats different from the gi aside from a few things here and a few things there. He said today "I dont know what I do no gi! I just do it!" I notice he goes inverted more, circles the legs more, uses flexible hips and still just as annoying with all of his attacks.

Most of the time, benny trains without the gi only 1 time a week. More when hes doing MMA but its MMA no gi. More in the few weeks leading up to no gi worlds too. I guess this surprises many people still because message boards tend to embrace eddies philosophies.

Just ask benny I guess. Find him on FB

Back