Benefits of getting knocked out.

Thanks dickhead but i was just asking a question, i wasn't stating that knockouts make you 'tougher'.
I also doubt this is the dumbest question on sherdog...i mean cmon, it's full of stupid american rednecks such as yourself.

Hmmm......showing more of that stupidity thats made you famous here on Sherdog huh ?
Thinking everybody online here is a redneck....or American.
Guess what.....Im neither !
:icon_lol:

"I was just asking a question"......you could've asked if the moon was made of green cheese and it would've made about the same sense !

Your question blew my mind, enough to be my new Sig !

There is a benefit to knowing what it is to be hit, but there is no benefit of getting Ko'd.
Knowing hot to take a punch is important, but you can not build up a resistance to getting ko'd.

The thread title is hilarious no doubt about it. But alas, it does not receive the coveted "most moronic thread title" award.

This little gem was created by a sherdogger some months ago

and i quote:

"Does having a thick beard cushion strikes?"

Yes, you read correctly. Does having a thick beard cushion strikes.

Naw not really man. Its not that dumb. Beards do (kinda) protect you from cuts/abrasions. Putting vaseline on it (its legal) will deflect them even more (not a flush punch).
Now im not talking your average 1 week stubble. Im talking a real beard. My hair grows real thick...almost like a brillo pad....and fast plus sometimes i dont shave for a month :icon_chee
Now i wont say it pads a blow but it does feel different when i get hit clean shaven.
for most guys though fighting with a beard on their face is too distracting.

Theres a reason beards are banned in boxing.

so to sum up...no it doesnt pad a blow (anything worth a difference) but its a understandable question.

I would like to point out for some that TS's logic isn't *entirely* insane. Let's assume he has 0 knowledge of brain injury, but some knowledge about exercise. To become stronger, we first have to destroy muscle so that our body can build it back up. Given what he theoretically might have known, it's not that unreasonable for him to speculate that the same might be true for neck/jaw muscles after getting knocked out.

You all act as if concussion knowledge is common sense (which doesn't exist, by the way).

you could've asked if the moon was made of green cheese and it would've made about the same sense !

Not really. One, we can observe visually that the moon isn't green. And before the 1900's, assuming it was made of cheese wouldn't have been that outlandish (at least it couldn't have been disproved, and I'm sure a few charismatic personalities would convince a large portion of the population to join the Cheese Party); we also thought the world was flat, once. There is no way for the TS to visually observe the long-term consequences of being knocked out.

There is tons of literature on the subject that could have been read, sure, but there is tons of literature on every topic imaginable that could be read, but people can't be expected to know everything there is to know. Sometimes people are going to have to ask questions, it's how they learn.

I don't know dick about horticulture. Now, I could read book after book and study after study, but most likely I'll ask someone about it because I'll get the specific answer quicker. I don't understand what is wrong with this, it's how humans have communicated for thousands of years, and it's a more efficient way of passing on small bits of information. Suddenly Google comes along and no one needs to talk anymore.

Why do we have discussion forums at all? Everything we've needed to know about everything is on Google, anyway.

To TS: No, there are no physical advantages. Mentally, knowing what being knocked out feels like will take the fear of being floored out of you. It will also be good motivation to not get knocked out again. But those pros are heavily outweighed by the cons: brain-cell death.

KyleInAction;43567431]I would like to point out for some that TS's logic isn't *entirely* insane. Let's assume he has 0 knowledge of brain injury, but some knowledge about exercise. To become stronger, we first have to destroy muscle so that our body can build it back up. Given what he theoretically might have known, it's not that unreasonable for him to speculate that the same might be true for neck/jaw muscles after getting knocked out.

All that would make sense ...if not for the fact that you would have to believe that the brain is a muscle.

By your logic , does that mean some ppl think drinking alchohol makes your liver stronger ?!!!

You all act as if concussion knowledge is common sense (which doesn't exist, by the way).

any idiot who has watched any contact sports (NFL NBA NHL etc) has heard commentators say so n so is fucked now that he has had his 2-3rd concussion. At number 4 or more they clamour for your retirement.

Not really. One, we can observe visually that the moon isn't green. And before the 1900's, assuming it was made of cheese wouldn't have been that outlandish (at least it couldn't have been disproved, and I'm sure a few charismatic personalities would convince a large portion of the population to join the Cheese Party); we also thought the world was flat, once. There is no way for the TS to visually observe the long-term consequences of being knocked out.

There is tons of literature on the subject that could have been read, sure, but there is tons of literature on every topic imaginable that could be read, but people can't be expected to know everything there is to know. Sometimes people are going to have to ask questions, it's how they learn.

I don't know dick about horticulture. Now, I could read book after book and study after study, but most likely I'll ask someone about it because I'll get the specific answer quicker. I don't understand what is wrong with this, it's how humans have communicated for thousands of years, and it's a more efficient way of passing on small bits of information. Suddenly Google comes along and no one needs to talk anymore.

Why do we have discussion forums at all? Everything we've needed to know about everything is on Google, anyway.

To TS: No, there are no physical advantages. Mentally, knowing what being knocked out feels like will take the fear of being floored out of you. It will also be good motivation to not get knocked out again. But those pros are heavily outweighed by the cons: brain-cell death.

Lord i dont know how shit works in Kansas but you ever heard of sarcasm ?
Plus u really think pre-1900s anybody but an inbred potato eatin peasant thought the moon was made of cheese ?
Even in the middle ages it was a joke yet this joker just put up a wall of text on it !

so pre-google all of us were mind-numbed ignorants huh ?

gtfo :rolleyes:

Lol NuTzOnSwOll, you like must like this thread, half of the comments are from you. i've heard what you have to say and you're obviously a prick. Fuck off will ya?

I assume there are not physical benefits to getting ko'ed,
just like there are no benefits to getting choked out.

I assume there are not physical benefits to getting ko'ed,
just like there are no benefits to getting choked out.

unlike KOs , getting choked out has no real dangers....unless you're doing it in a closet with a Thai whore !
*cough* David Carradine *cough*

ooooooh was that too soon ?

Lol NuTzOnSwOll, you like must like this thread, half of the comments are from you. i've heard what you have to say and you're obviously a prick. Fuck off will ya?

sure im in this thread...you're like the one in a million moron who brings light n humour with your moronic actions (or questions)

Im sure this thread has left many a Sherdogger and/or Guest scratching their head in wonder.

Im still pretty sure Darwin will get ya.....eventually.

No physical benifits. Didn't read the whole post, once the flaming starts i tend to just skip to the end, so if this has been stated already I'm sorry.

Try to build muscle in your neck, stronger neck = more resistance to head snapping.

work out with a mouth peice & keep your mouth closed.. weight lifting, cardio, sparring.. an open mouth = easy to get put to sleep by a punch.

keep your head down and hands up! not all the way down of course, just enough to where your chins tucked; punches will tend to glance off your head more... never take your eyes off your opponent!) 90% of the times i've been clocked was on a counter coming in for a combo. Keeping your chin tucked when you strike helps a little :icon_chee

I'm not a boxer, just a big southpaw with a decent hook. The guys I train with are boxing/striking ANIMALS, so for the last year i've been learning the hard way :redface: this has been helping me.

and most importantly you got to remember a good punch is still a good punch though, somtimes its just not your day, train harder and move on to the next fight... just my two cents :icon_chee

sure im in this thread...you're like the one in a million moron who brings light n humour with your moronic actions (or questions)

Im sure this thread has left many a Sherdogger and/or Guest scratching their head in wonder.

Im still pretty sure Darwin will get ya.....eventually.

Yet you claim to have gained your knowledge from watching the NFL, NBA etc.

unlike KOs , getting choked out has no real dangers....unless you're doing it in a closet with a Thai whore !
*cough* David Carradine *cough*

ooooooh was that too soon ?
hahaha how dare you insult Grasshopper...

Americans are the smartest who ever hate son us are just JEALOUS

It's like a drug, the more you get, the more your body likes it.

Back