Bendo's sidekicks to Cerrone's thigh, Significant or just point fighting?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by standandtrade7, Jan 19, 2015.

1. standandtrade7

standandtrade7 Blue Belt

I've trained Muay-Thai for 4 years + now under some very talented guys. That being said, I have never been side kicked to the thigh.

I don't want to be ignorant here so maybe you can help. For those of you with more experience with these kicks, do you consider these significant, damaging strikes? Or were they just busy work and point fighting as Edgar called in on the post fight? I mean particularly the way Bendo was landing them. I know from watching Jones that Jones damages people with them but Bendo's didn't have that same effect as far as I can tell.

2. SnowBlynd

SnowBlynd Red Belt

It's good if you can time it so you lock the guys leg up with it while he's stepping or interrupt a kick early. But it didn't look like what bendo was doing with it was going to have a significant impact on hurting Cerrone. He looked to just score with it from what I remember.

3. Elysianwing

Elysianwing Mr. Mojo Risin' Belt

Looked like they worked great for disrupting the rhythm of Cowboy, the way an inside kick does(but quicker to land).

4. Toxxus

Toxxus The Ancient One

Really depends on how hard they're landing and if he's getting most of the force on his heel or not.

If he hits with his arch then it's just going to be a pushing soft blow. If he gets most of the force on his heel is can really hurt and do fun things to your quads.

I got the sense that they were mostly used to screw up Cerrone's distance and timing. If he takes a big step forward to unload punches then gets jammed in the thigh he's not able to get the shots in.

5. Rob_M.

Rob_M. Brown Belt

I thought it was just point fighting. But the judges didn't see it that way.

6. standandtrade7

standandtrade7 Blue Belt

I got that same sense, I wonder how significant they should be scored then?

7. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

It didn't look like they did damage because Benson throw powerless strikes. He's not concerned with hurting anyone just being the busier fighter.

8. M Raid K

M Raid K Black Belt

They were like leg jabs, designed to keep Cerrone at bay and prevent him for pressing forward. It worked greatly because Cerrone stood still for the most of the time and if you see Cerrone fighting, you know that it's a rare commodity.

9. Mma Adiction

Mma Adiction Brown Belt

They are just point kicks, you can use them to keep the distance if you have reach advantage (I use them that way, im a long guy so i keep other people at distance with them and then attack). Those kick doesnt hurt, just keep you there, I've use it plenty of time in training, those were effective kicks to an opponent like Alvarez who is a gremlin, but not to Cerrone, he was just trying to add significant strikes for the decision. That sucked

10. LongTermLurker

LongTermLurker "Et tu, Brute?" Platinum Member

neither. It was to keep Cowboy guessing and in range for Benson's attempts at high kicks etc.

11. ScarfaceJr

ScarfaceJr All praise honor & glory to the most High

It looked as though they were throwing Cowboy off his rhythm a bit. It was also used by Bendo to set up that headkick in the 3rd that rocked Cowboy. Just switching levels constantly.

12. effedup

effedup Silver Belt

There is a chance that you can have your knee hyper extended but Bendo wasn't putting any mustard behind it. While it was stopping Cerrone from doing anything significant, I'd imagine they need to be weighed in but.

It's Benson's problem, was Frankie's etc, you can't point fight and expect to win these days. BH needs to seriously rehaul his game plan as it's no longer working, may even need to switch camps. He's losing to guys that he should be beating and it's not going to be any easier at 170.

13. The ScorpioN

The ScorpioN "GET OVER HERE!"

Those weren't Jon Jones kicks, that's for sure. But they did get Cerrone stuck a couple of times when he tried to move in but got push kicked.

14. CarbonIsotope**

CarbonIsotope** Green Belt

He has been playing EA sports UFC. Annoying ass lead leadkicks

15. basherofbrains

basherofbrains Green Belt

THis is the correct assessment. They were useful for keeping Cerrone from beating the shit out out of henderson, but otherwise they lacked any value. Everyone that henderson threw combined together would equal about 1 of Cerrone's body kicks. The back leg thigh kicks on the otherhand scored nicely. It was still pretty easy 30-27 for cowboy. Benson just didn't do anything effective the entire fight.

16. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

A bit of both, they didn't do a lot of damage to Cerrone, but in a five rounder they will add up, but yesterday, they were just used to throw Cerrone off.

17. Project 86

Project 86 Silver Belt

pretty disappointed how can donald just let him keep doing same technique

reminded me of overeem getting killed with brownes 100th front kick

18. JT RIPPER

JT RIPPER Black Belt

Mainly for distance, timing and frustration

At the same time, they can add up eventually do some damage like Jones did to Rampage if thrown hard enough

19. Point fighting at its finest. One Aldo leg kick is worth 15 of those.

I think as more fighters master their footwork you'll see less of those. But vs a guy like cerrone who just keeps coming forward without many angles they're perfect to score with.

20. God_Emperor_Of_Mankind

God_Emperor_Of_Mankind Let's Palaver! Platinum Member

Lol i thought those were supposed to be career ending lethal techniques.

I guess if it's Jones that's the case eh ��