Bendo is a cool dude and was absolutely hated in his reign

He was disliked because he won a bunch of close decisions that he probably shouldn't have and he talks about god a lot and about how he uses god/jesus to win or that god/jesus wants him to win. That sort of thing makes him come off as self-important.

When you put yourself on a pedestal people aren't going to like it.

I think he just struggled at communicating his love for God. I think crediting God for your wins does show a sort of humility because it does make it about something other than himself. So if people think Benson was placing himself on a pedestal, it is because there was a misunderstanding of what he was trying to say. He was placing a higher power on a pedestal.

And as for his close decisions, I think the Gil win was legit, the Edgar rematch and the Thomson fight are two fights where I can see the argument that he was gifted the decision but for God's sake let's at least not call his win against Edgar for the title a gift decision. He legit won that fight for sure. If that was a robbery for Edgar, than clearly so was Edgar's first win over Penn as well.

Yeah people saying he should thank his coaches instead. Thats between him and his coaches. Why would anyone care who the fuck he thanks?

I would think sports fans would be more appreciative of athletes thanking anyone other than themselves, even if they personally feel that the guy being thanked is just Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy for adults.

I hate him because my brother died choking on a toothpick and Bendo sets a poor and dangerous example.

Yeah people saying he should thank his coaches instead. Thats between him and his coaches. Why would anyone care who the fuck he thanks?

Think about how it comes across, how much of an ego do you have to have to think that god personally helped you win. To me I would think you would have to have a pretty damn large ego to think that the creator of everything took time to help you win a fight.

He got couple of decisions that I definitely disagreed with and those left a bad taste in my mouth

However I never hated him, quite the opposite. Also, he has been in some very exciting fights, he is not a boring fighter.

I think he just struggled at communicating his love for God. I think crediting God for your wins does show a sort of humility because it does make it about something other than himself. So if people think Benson was placing himself on a pedestal, it is because there was a misunderstanding of what he was trying to say. He was placing a higher power on a pedestal.

And as for his close decisions, I think the Gil win was legit, the Edgar rematch and the Thomson fight are two fights where I can see the argument that he was gifted the decision but for God's sake let's at least not call his win against Edgar for the title a gift decision. He legit won that fight for sure. If that was a robbery for Edgar, than clearly so was Edgar's first win over Penn as well.

I would think sports fans would be more appreciative of athletes thanking anyone other than themselves, even if they personally feel that the guy being thanked is just Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy for adults.

I think it's the opposite, I don't believe in god but if I did and then thought that god personally helped me win, then I would say i'm being an arrogant person because I think i'm so important that the creator of everything took time to help me personally.

Think about how it comes across, how much of an ego do you have to have to think that god personally helped you win. To me I would think you would have to have a pretty damn large ego to think that the creator of everything took time to help you win a fight.

All he said is "I do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and said the same thing after he lost.

It's not an ego to say that your lord and savior is the reason you woke up with 4 limbs, 10 fingers, 10 toes, and have the blessing to push yourself and perform. It's not an "ego" thing when you're giving your strength and power to another.

Grow up

I think it's the opposite, I don't believe in god but if I did and then thought that god personally helped me win, then I would say i'm being an arrogant person because I think i'm so important that the creator of everything took time to help me personally.

He never said "God helped me win", he was saying God gave him the ability to perform and through him he can win if he pushes himself.

He also thanked God the moment he lost.

I have met a lot of fighters and Bendo or Pat Barry were the nicest and most down to earth of all of them.

Always been a fan since probably the most underrated fight of all time Cerrone-Bendo 1 that's like a contender for top-5 fights all time if you haven't seen it.

He's coming for that title wether he decides 170 or to stay at LW.

I just thought he was corny as hell. Plus his face reminded me of a guy I didn't like in middle school. So that totally justified it.

Also the hate for his religion is literally as petty as you can get. He says one thing about thanking God after his fights and that's it. Stop crying.

Other than being Chris Tucker religulous it's hard to find anything dislikable about Bendo. And that comes from someone who thinks Frankie beat him twice.

If your point is that Sherdog hates fighters for no reason and especially champs well no dur. Benson is still one of the best in the world and it's a pleasure watching him fight even if I don't like the dude. That's not going to stop bitches from bitching.

I hate him because my brother died choking on a toothpick and Bendo sets a poor and dangerous example.

I'm sorry to hear that, my friend. People never stop to think about the kind of messages they may be sending. So thoughtless we are.

He was a boring point fighter up until he submitted Khabilov. Wall and stall, pitter-patter strikes. He's one of the biggest guys in that division and he doesn't throw that weight around, he uses it to hug guys against the cage.

IDK, this sport is hard to watch when you know you're watching someone who wants to go to decision.

All he said is "I do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and said the same thing after he lost.

It's not an ego to say that your lord and savior is the reason you woke up with 4 limbs, 10 fingers, 10 toes, and have the blessing to push yourself and perform. It's not an "ego" thing when you're giving your strength and power to another.

Grow up

You need to be able to view things from another person's perspective and not take things personally that aren't personal.

I can see both sides to how thanking god is viewed but you can't, that's not my problem, it's yours.

People have different opinions than you, that doesn't mean they need to grow up, maybe you should take your own advice.

I have met a lot of fighters and Bendo or Pat Barry were the nicest and most down to earth of all of them.

Always been a fan since probably the most underrated fight of all time Cerrone-Bendo 1 that's like a contender for top-5 fights all time if you haven't seen it.

My friend is a UPS driver in Bendo's district and delivers packages all the time; says Bendo lives in a really small house and he's out training in his garage. Said he doesn't have an aura or an ego, just speaks to you like a person.

Spoke to him when he was in the WEC and he was a sweetheart. I'm not religious, but I respect men like him who truly believe what they're saying and just want to make their lives and the lives of those around them better.

That said, Frankie 1,3,5 and I hope Jesus comes back soon so Frankie can 50-44 him

Pat Barry is awesome man. Wish some more top guys in ufc had that personality

Because he's a filthy cheater!
A9zhS4RCUAA1KPe.jpg

No but seriously, I felt he was underwhelming with how many close fights he had. He didn't feel dominant at all. And there was no compelling element to his becoming champion. It's not that I didn't like him, far from it, but his reign was underwhelming.

You need to be able to view things from another person's perspective and not take things personally that aren't personal.

I can see both sides but you can't.

People have different opinions than you, that doesn't mean they need to grow up, maybe you should take your own advice.

I don't take it personally and you and I have the same opinion on religion; I am the literal other side you're speaking of.

Your understanding of simple concepts is lacking and you just generally don't know what the hell you're talking about and are maligning someone else's beliefs through your own ignorance, so I can either say "Get smarter" or the more polite yet more dismissive "Grow Up"

Either way, you just don't sound like an adult who has thought hard about this very simple topic.

He was disliked because he won a bunch of close decisions that he probably shouldn't have and he talks about god a lot and about how he uses god/jesus to win or that god/jesus wants him to win. That sort of thing makes him come off as self-important.

When you put yourself on a pedestal people aren't going to like it.

Bingo.

Anyone who thinks god cares about their MMA career while millions of children are dying of starvation, being murdered, dying of disease and cancer, and all the horrible things going on in this world... is a terrible person imo.

You can thank god if you want, but Bendo took that shit to a ridiculous level.

Didn't care for his fighting style or personality. Glad he lost the belt.

Back