Bendo is a cool dude and was absolutely hated in his reign

He beat fan favourites in frankie, Gil and Nate
But for me.. It was the cringey shit he used to do e.g the in ring proposal..

Sherdog loved him when he beat Edgar. You guys were pretty tired of Frankie by then. if Pettis keeps getting injured you will probably turn on him as well.

Yeah the hostility towards Frankie was even more confusing. Especially after the maynard fights.

He beat fan favourites in frankie, Gil and Nate
But for me.. It was the cringey shit he used to do e.g the in ring proposal..

It was the way he beat Frankie and Gil. Dude showed up not to lose and just kind of pawed at nothing. His best moment in the first Frankie fight was the upkick.

Bendo was the prime example of the judges picking the fighter who looked angrier as he punches, regardless of hitting the target.

He absolutley bamboozled nate though, I thought Nate was going to kick his ass.

His fight with Edgar wasn't exciting, people outside of NJ didn't want to see the rematch, and people didn't want to see another Edgar rematch on top of that. Then the rematch wasn't exciting, and was close, so it was hard to see him as a clear champion. The atheists didn't like his religiousness, the yuppies didn't like that he didn't dress for success, and Diaz brothers fans didn't like that he threw Nate around like a little brother. Then he won a fight against Gil that was close, so it continued to be hard to see him as the clear champion.

Yeah the hostility towards Frankie was even more confusing. Especially after the maynard fights.

BJ Fans are the square root of 76% of hurt feelings and anger on sherdog

He praises His Lord and Savior after fights as well as having close fights which he took the decisions every time.

His fights got boring really fast and the gift decisions were annoying. The whole jesus crap, toothpick, wool hat indoors and all that...just annoying. Can't like some personalities I guess. To me he seemed fake in some ways, but I'm sure he's a much more pleasant person to be around than say Jon Jones.

Oh and the constant hair fixing...get it under control dude!

He was disliked because he won a bunch of close decisions that he probably shouldn't have and he talks about god a lot and about how he uses god/jesus to win or that god/jesus wants him to win. That sort of thing makes him come off as self-important.

When you put yourself on a pedestal people aren't going to like it.

Well maybe not "hated" but he wasn't very popular. Heck i even disliked him and i dont even remember why. I think it was because i have the hots for Edgar.

Anyway, the guy always shows up in shape and ready to scrap.

No, he always show up in shape and ready to do as little as possible to pointfight his way to a split decision victory.

lol @ hating someone for thanking Jesus in win and defeat.
It's so petty and stupid.

It was the way he beat Frankie and Gil.. Dude showed up not to lose and just kind of pawed at nothing. His best moment in the first Frankie fight was the upkick.

Bendo was the prime example of the judges picking the fighter who looked angrier as he punches, regardless of hitting the target.

He absolutley bamboozled nate though, I thought Nate was going to kick his ass.

Oh man the nate fight.. Thought nobody would beat bendo after that. That card was very depressing

A lot of people were butthurt about him winning close decisions (I had him winning all of those fights).

And the cringeworthy religious shit in the post-fight speeches probably didn't help.

I've always been a big fan of him though. He's always fun to watch.

It is interesting how fighters who really stand out amongst the rest of their division get backlash and fighters who cannot really stand out but rely on having higher fight Iq and being better at swaying the judges to win really close fights also get similar backlash. As an MMA champ, you can only avoid it by being just right. If Pettis finishes RDA and Khabib like he did Melendez, he's gonna be getting the same level of backlash as well, particularly if his injuries flare up after that.

I wasn't a fan of his "[...] is just an average slow white boy" remark either.

Racism is bad, hhhhhmmmkay?

Didn't like the way he took the title from Frankie, who was pretty disliked during his reign.

The worst thing you can do in MMA these days is win the title, from a PR standpoint

I think you're ok as long as you don't win it by a very close/controversial decision.

It's part of what make BJ vs. Edgar I and Edgar's subsequent close matches with Bendo such hate inspiring events.

When 1/2 or more of the fan base thinks you didn't earn the belt it's not going to be a PR win for you.

he was not hated at all, just a bit dislike :)

lol @ hating someone for thanking Jesus in win and defeat.
It's so petty and stupid.

Yeah people saying he should thank his coaches instead. Thats between him and his coaches. Why would anyone care who the fuck he thanks?

A lot of people were butthurt about him winning close decisions (I had him winning all of those fights).

And the cringeworthy religious shit in the post-fight speeches probably didn't help.

I've always been a big fan of him though. He's always fun to watch.

This, i like him.

Back