Bench Press ?'s

TheLionsDen240

Mayhem McEndree
Reaction score
3 Questions:

How many bench press reps should I be doing?
And how do I determine what weight to stay at?
Should I just do 1 like they do on weight lifting contests or more?

3 questions:
for what goals?
how much do you squat and deadlift?
what the hell are you talking about? in bench comps you usually get at least three attempts (not including warmups) and training for them is a lot different than competing in one.

and have you read the stickies?!

They only bench press once, then get the 2nd and 3rd attempt. I jus want to become stronger. I really don't deadlift or squat.

soooo... you're not interested in getting stronger for MMA, or muay thai, or anything... just in increasing your bench numbers?

Just fyi, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me whenever somebody asks about bench but then says they don't squat or deadlift... I mean really, if you want strength for ANYTHING besides benching, bench is the least important of the big three.

I lift at my house and all I have is a bench and like maybe 200lbs of weights. I just moved to Ohio and haven't found anywhere to train yet.

Even at your house with 200 pounds you can do deadlifts. Cleans, powercleans, clean the weight up then do front squats, bears etc. Without oing threse gaining stregth in the bench will come. But it will come slower, and sooner or later stagnate much quicker as well.

TheLionsDen240 said:
I jus want to become stronger. I really don't deadlift or squat.
Now that's a contradiction if I ever heard one.

REad the stickies and after that create yourself a routine.
Post this routine + your stats + your goals.
After that been done everybody will help you to improve your routine, based on his knowledge and own experience.

graedy said:
REad the stickies and after that create yourself a routine.
Post this routine + your stats + your goals.
After that been done everybody will help you to improve your routine, based on his knowledge and own experience.

Exactly Graedy! (Graedy hits the nail on the head every time and keeps us coming back for more!)

Fedorable said:
Exactly Graedy! (Graedy hits the nail on the head every time and keeps us coming back for more!)

:icon_excl

you should try alternating db presses, incline/dceline & flat. Why not improve your puching power at the same time.We dont punch with both hands.

eljabo said:
you should try alternating db presses, incline/dceline & flat. Why not improve your puching power at the same time.We dont punch with both hands.

Terrible logic. That's like saying "Don't squat - we don't run with both legs."

Bench press isn't a major improver of punching power because the muscles worked by the bench aren't the major drivers when punching.

But take a person who has good punching technique and a good core, and add the strength gained from heavy benching, and you do create an even more powerful punch.

...oh, and I've seen guys punch with both hands, a la Sakuraba, so you're wrong anyway.

eljabo said:

What???

Take your asinine advice and go home.

eljabo said:

i punch laying down on a bench as well.

Back