1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Bench Press Form Check

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by PowerHungry, Aug 13, 2010.

1. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

For starters, let me say that I've watched the Dave Tate video plenty of times and have it on my ipod.

FORM: Well, my ass was off the bench some. Also, my elbows were not tucked. I land the bar high on my chest. I'm not sure how many of these need to be fixed or are just particulars to my individual style. It's weird though that on bench everything feels more pronounced than it does on the video. My back arch feels massive, I feel like i'm going down very low on my chest while I'm doing the rep, etc. It looks like I may just slightly lose some tension in my lats from the unrack but its minimal if any.

PAIN and DIFFICULTY: I had some lingering right lower back pain from squatting. I have been icing on and off the past couple of days. No heat, no NSAIDs. I wasn't even sure when I woke up that I was going to lift today. I decided to warm up and just see how it felt. I felt little to no carryover in pain to added difficulty on the lift except for maybe 250 and above. I know when I tried to really tighten my lower back on my second attempt at 285 it hurt and I had to compensate by just relying more on leg drive than arch. Honestly, though, I don't think the pain was why I failed the lifts. I also tried 285 for a third time and 280 and failed both. I have some mild shoulder discomfort that may have been affecting my bar path or where I placed the bar on my chest but I can't be certain.

I swear I had that first 285 rep if he doesn't touch the bar.

225x1

250x1

285xfail (5 lb PR attempt)

285xfail again

185x17 rep pr

2. DEVILsSON

DEVILsSON Black Belt

-I'd roll up more on the traps.. with as much setting up as you were doing, I am not sure that you ultimately got up on the shoulders/traps
    -You're not nearly tight enough as your chest sinks when you touch the bar to the chest
    -I would work on bringing your hips a smidge more towards your shoulders, creating a bigger arch
    -I'd work on getting your feet more under you....level with hips if you got the flexibility and planted flat on the ground

3. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

+1 on all of these. Plus a hair cut. Again, take a bit more time with your set-up.

4. speedtech

speedtech White Belt

The most glaring issue right now is that your legs don't go back as far as they should to help with extending that arch. I wouldn't keep your feet up on the bench while you setup, just keep working them back.

5. PCP

PCP Guest

There are so many things wrong with your form here...

-You have no arch -- you need to try to touch your ass to your traps. There should only be two contact points on the bench -- your traps and your glutes
    -Start with your head off the bench and slide into a strong arch while holding the bar
    -Bring your feet back, to support the arch, spread your feet wide and in a straight line, and drive your heels into the floor.
    -Flare your elbows if the bar stalls at the top like that
    -Flex your hips up at the start of the rep to gain leg drive. If you set up properly your ass will not come off the bench.
    -Work on your tricep strength. You are touching too high because your triceps are weak and a poor arch

6. PCP

PCP Guest

Read this.