bench is not going up AT ALL :(

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by myaa22, Jan 16, 2015.

1. myaa22

myaa22 Yellow Belt

Hi guys so my problem is this:
    I finished SS and I did a bunch of different 5/3/1 programs and also did sheiko( I forgot which one .. did it a year ago) and my best squat is 350 1rm my deadlift is 405 1rm but my best bench attempt is 180 *4 reps .. I should mention that both of my shoulder dislocated in a previous injuries and it happened to me several times in each arm.. I am 172 cm tall and i weight at 77 kg currently ( 5'7" and 170lb I think) what can I do to bring my bench up? should I focus on strengthening my shoulders? or is it going to be like this unless I go to surgery and fix them or is it not big factor at all and I am just genetically has a weak ass bench? I would love to hear what you think guys.
    thank you

'

2. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

meat and potatoes bruther. theres alot of supplement exercies for bench as well look into those and dont rush things.

3. the can

the can fat guy belt

i bench teh 275

edit: seriously though... i have always had a weak bench compared to my curl or squats. it was never something i liked working on. i got nuthin' for ya'

4. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

You should probably get your shoulders looked at.

From a strength standpoint, I've found that 5/3/1 didn't have enough meaningful volume for me to get stronger. I've been using a program based on RPE (rate of perceived exertion). I'm currently using the PIP1 program from PowerliftingToWin.com (the eBook is free), and I've had really great results on it, particularly on my bench, which suffered greatly after rotator cuff surgery. I'd check that out if I were you. My training partner has suffered the same problem as you for the past two years, but he's already put 20 lbs on his bench in about two months using an RPE-based program. It is entirely based on how much you can lift on any given day.

I think part of the benefit of programs wherein certain weights do not have to be hit every time can really take away the mental stumbling blocks caused by prolonged weight stagnation.

Also, looking into fixing any sticking points you may have and using assistance to help with them will be of tremendous value.

5. west42

west42 Brown Belt

Not much info to go on. Are you switching up your sets and reps? Are you benching with your upper arm at a 90 deg. angle to your body, or closer to 45 deg.? Having your arms out like that former will do more for isolation than getting a big lift. Do you have a spotter so you can do 1 rm? Over training? Or like myself and the guy above, your frame may just predispose you to a shitty bench. If your military/overhead press relatively high vs your bench, there's a good chance that's what it is. Some people are put together with strong shoulders, some with a strong chest.

6. RafailNadull

RafailNadull Brown Belt

It's too late. Starting Strength's undue overemphasis on low-bar-rip-style-back squatting necessarily leads to a severe underemphasis of The Bench. You wasted your athletic prime on squatting and must now bear the fruits of the program you chose to pursue. Your Bench potential is irrevocably lowered.

7. RSmith47

RSmith47 Brown Belt

What would high military press vs bench numbers be? Like if you could bench 225 once, what would a high # be for one military press rep?

8. Genghiz

Genghiz Blue Belt

Try benching more frequently. But not at 100% all the time - wave the load/intensity.

As an example, someone mentioned 5/3/1 not being enough volume, and I agree completely. When I ran it, it was just enough to maintain strength levels in my main lifts and that was it. Last year I switched to a program with far more weekly frequency for each of the main lifts (tactical barbell) and my bench and other lifts jumped up by leaps and bounds and I'm still experiencing steady progress.

Simply benching more frequently with a waved load/reps has had more of an impact for me personally than doing any sort of bench 'assistance' exercises with bands, dumbbells, boards etc.

9. west42

west42 Brown Belt

It's subjective, there's not a set percentage I can give you. Myself, I was able to do overhead dumbell presses with 100's for set's of 5, and my bench was maybe 240's for the same reps. since putting a lot more focus on benching technique and strength instead of getting "swole", my bench has gotten a bit further away from my shoulder lifts. Again, subjective and it's on a personal basis. My frame is horrible for benching.

10. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

Sounds like you feel unsure of your shoulders and that might be holding back your bench. I assume when you had your dislocations you saw a doctor. If you don't need surgery I would just focus on mantainig your current bench and strengthening and rehabbing your shoulders first. I had a torn labrum and it was years after surgery that I finally felt like I could really go for it on bench.

11. redbeard

redbeard Blue Belt

Bench 3-6x per week and stop mucking around.

12. Beable

Beable Blue Belt

The Sheiko programs are helping my bench. Benching three times a week is great.

13. rocketskates

rocketskates Black Belt

Hit your back harder. Also there are some good videos on YouTube regarding bench form. Using the right form helps a lot.

14. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

^ gunsrazorsknives?

15. Rex Luger

Rex Luger I can sniff that boot! Platinum Member

Post a video of you benching so we can see your form.

16. rikwebb

rikwebb Purple Belt

Same here, you may respond better to more volume.

17. rocketskates

rocketskates Black Belt

Troof

18. ohdear

ohdear White Belt

This is going back 5-6 years now but I've had both my shoulders reconstructed due to instability issues (repeated sub lux with occasional full dislocations) and my personal advice would definitely be to focus on your shoulders. Prior to the ops I found doing a lot of shoulder stability work certainly helped improve my lifts if only a little.

I found once my shoulders were fixed with surgery my lifts improved enormously but it was a pretty damn long rehab process.

I've only just started lifting again after a long break but I'll always make sure shoulder stability exercises are part of my lifting regime.

Hope that helps.

19. CPP

CPP Orange Belt

This.

Beginner programs teach you bad programming for bench. After noob gains, you need to bench a lot and bench often to progress. 5-10 work sets at least 3x per week.

20. Roca

Roca Banned Banned

The bar should go up, the bench shouldn't move.