bench, elbows tucked in or out?

Keep your elbows in. Pays off in the long run.

Mr. Dave Tate says tucked in and make sure they don't go below the bench I would listen to him.

I think it's a rhetorical question lol.

Dave Tate offiers some of the best advice around on the internet. I think he softened up the language a bit as of recent, foregoing all or almost all profanity. I am still waiting for him to make a video series on the squat or deadlift.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tucking in the elbow for incline dumbbell bench presses? The weights tend to fall off balance when I tuck my elbows in.

I have recently been having issues with my right AC joint on the bench press. I found that by flaring out my elbows a bit more and arching a bit less than I used to there was less stress on the AC joint. By "flaring out a bit more" I am talking about ~45

Does anyone have any suggestions on tucking in the elbow for incline dumbbell bench presses? The weights tend to fall off balance when I tuck my elbows in.

just change the angle of your grip to neutral or almost neutral

Clay Brandenburg (high 600 raw bench) told me that the correct way to bench raw is to try to push the bar up in a straight line as long as you can until the bar stalls out, then flare the elbows to keep the bar moving. Ideally a straight line is best, but most people do not have strong enough triceps to do this.

Also, when benching raw, use a relatively close grip to protect the shoulders in training as well as to build tricep strength.

Clay Brandenburg (high 600 raw bench) told me that the correct way to bench raw is to try to push the bar up in a straight line as long as you can until the bar stalls out, then flare the elbows to keep the bar moving. Ideally a straight line is best, but most people do not have strong enough triceps to do this.

Also, when benching raw, use a relatively close grip to protect the shoulders in training as well as to build tricep strength.

This is interesting. I find myself doing the above naturally when the bar stops moving about halfway to lockout. I always thought this was a serious flaw in my benching but you're saying it may be preferable? Is it a safe assumption to say that flared elbows are not as much of a problem the further you are away from the bottom of a bench?

This is interesting. I find myself doing the above naturally when the bar stops moving about halfway to lockout. I always thought this was a serious flaw in my benching but you're saying it may be preferable? Is it a safe assumption to say that flared elbows are not as much of a problem the further you are away from the bottom of a bench?

Ideally you want to be able to move the weight in a straight line, and this is what usually happens when you aren't moving maximal weights. Many people will not be able to do this, however, because it takes very strong triceps to keep that path. If you find your elbows flare out a lot, or especially if they flare out near the bottom, it means your triceps are giving out early and they are a weakness for you.

Ideally you want to be able to move the weight in a straight line, and this is what usually happens when you aren't moving maximal weights. Many people will not be able to do this, however, because it takes very strong triceps to keep that path. If you find your elbows flare out a lot, or especially if they flare out near the bottom, it means your triceps are giving out early and they are a weakness for you.

So would the solution be to lower the weight and work the triceps more to achieve this straight path? Or should I just keep doing the same and work the triceps and it'll catch up? Or is the solution something entirely different altogether?

don't tuck them out...wait is that possible

just tuck them

So would the solution be to lower the weight and work the triceps more to achieve this straight path? Or should I just keep doing the same and work the triceps and it'll catch up? Or is the solution something entirely different altogether?

I could very well be wrong, but I think Dave Tate mentioned in one of his articles that it was very difficult to build a big Bench without training the Triceps heavy, ISTR he recommended CG Bench and Skull-crushers.

There's a Finnish(?)Bench Press program that alternates heavy Bench with heavy Close Grip Bench. Can't remember the name of it.

I could very well be wrong, but I think Dave Tate mentioned in one of his articles that it was very difficult to build a big Bench without training the Triceps heavy, ISTR he recommended CG Bench and Skull-crushers.

There's a Finnish(?)Bench Press program that alternates heavy Bench with heavy Close Grip Bench. Can't remember the name of it.

There's this routine that alternates bench and narrow grip bench:

Tsampa.org: Patrik Nyman's Prilepin Bench program

Is that what you were thinking of?

I wouldn't lower the weight. Instead, work on bringing up the triceps. Barbell skullcrushers, JM presses, dumbbell extensions, close grip benching, boards, etc.. Upper back and rotator cuff work may also help if you are flaring right off the chest.

Yeah, that's the one, Tosa. Have you tried it?

No, I haven't. But I like how it looks, and will probably give it a go in the future. I'd have to commit to more assistance work than usual though.

No, I haven't. But I like how it looks, and will probably give it a go in the future. I'd have to commit to more assistance work than usual though.

I'm on SS at the moment and will be for some considerable time, so it's a moot point for me. But I'm curious as to how one would works Squats and Deadlifts into that program.

I don't like that bench program. I was told that the closest grip that should be done heavy raw is thumbs from the smooth, and pinky on the ring in a bench shirt. Too close and you risk shoulder and wrist problems. That having been said, I doubt you will actually see much of a difference in the weights you can move with that grip vs pinky or ring finger on the ring, and benching with the index finger on the ring heavy each week sounds like a good way to develop RC problems. Basically what I am saying is the movements and weights used are just a little bit too similar. I think the program would work better if you performed a close grip floor press instead on the 2nd day.

Back