Ben Henderson: "I was never asked or even told I was fighting Cowboy."

Poor form by the UFC.

I wonder if there is something written into fight contracts that says that they're allowed to change opponents without consent? Seems odd.

More and more people not afraid to complain publicly. I thought his comments on staying at 155 were mature and realistic. Obviously no one is going to come out and say that 170s are huge and difficult for them.

How about asking the involved fighters before agreeing to anything? Because apparantly Bendo didn't agree to the bout.
Makes the UFC look stupid like the Little Nog vs Gustafsson thing.

I think it should look this way:

1: Cerrone wants to fight asap
2: Ask Benson Henderson if he wants to fight Cerrone in like 16 days notice.
3. Ask Cerrone if he wants to fight Benson
4. Announce the fight

Number 4 shouldn't happen before #2 or #3, that's just stupid, leads to confusion and maybe gets fighters/fans mad.
And yeah #3 should probably not happen before #2, because you see what happened.

The things the UFC does are sometimes so unnecessary and avoidable without breaking a sweat. It's stupid and they're missing common sense.

I think it should work like this:
1. Ask any fighter (including Cowboy) if they can step up and fill in. Otherwise what's the point of asking Bendo if he's willing to fight someone if they are going to say no.
2. Tell Bendo they found a replacement.

Wonder if they had told his manager and his manager dropped the ball?

Unless I skipped over that part.

If Jon Jones was offered Cerrone on a two week notice, Jones (on the advice of Greg Jackson), would decline the fight saying not enough time to prepare for a lightweight contender, maybe a flyweight, but not a dangerous lightweight.

You make up a terrible hypothetical, just to bash Jones in a thread that has nothing to do with him. Hmmmm...

Hey Dana and co....

TrFCNvi.gif

Bendo taking it very well. BUT, if Dana and company keep this up, a they're going to have some disgruntled employees. If it keeps going this way, Sherdog's dedicated UFC forum will get relegated to a tab in the "Worldwide MMA" forum.

They probably suspected Bendo would agree, and used this technique for manipulation in case he had reservations. It would look really bad if the fight was announced and Bendo said no after the fact, so they manipulated while stroking his ego a bit and saying

"We knew you'd say yes so we went ahead and announced it".

Classic employer manipulation.

this

Bendo taking it very well. BUT, if Dana and company keep this up, a they're going to have some disgruntled employees. If it keeps going this way, Sherdog's dedicated UFC forum will get relegated to a tab in the "Worldwide MMA" forum.

Disgruntled UFC employees, never! It's not like their lhw champ would ever refuse to fight, and then they would have to create an interim lhw title belt. And it isn't like the guy who won that interim lhw belt would ever move back up to hw, become hw champ, and would then refuse to fight, and they would need to create an interim hw title belt.

UFC did it this way because if Benson refused after the fact they could shit on him publicly and say he pulled out of the fight, cover's their ass better than losing another big fight to injury

They did similar things to Overeem, Wanderlei, Nate Diaz and called their courage into question when they didn't play ball. Some idiotic fans actually believed that these guys were scarred to fight.

Scummy.

Definitely not the first time someone found out their opponent on the internet and probably won't be the last.

Trips me out how website reporters know a fighter's opponent before the fighter. UFC should buy Joe Silva a better cell phone maybe?

i am rooting for cowboy, but i must also applaud bendo for his attitude here. he is up 2-0 against one of the best lw fighters on earth. Cowboy has never looked better. I hope the ufc remembers this if bendo is the number one contender and they are feeling reluctant about giving him another shot. Bendo's losses to pettis are very similar to his wins over cowboy.

1-1

Hans, bubby, the first fight was a robbery.

man Bendo is a thumper. But you gotta admit, guys pretty wicked.

Back