Ben henderson best light weight ever

Beating Edgar twice isnt a big deal? Edgar beating Penn twice wasnt a big deal?

What is your definition of beating? For me, its finishing a guy or dominating enough to see a gap in talent levels. (Couture vs Silvia) Edgar v Penn I was not a win for either guy in my book, just like Bendo v Melendez wasn't a win for either guy. I have my own ways I judge fighters just like everyone else, and I don't go solely off official wins or losses.

Ok? He still beat bendo twice. That alone puts him above bendo. Its not like he beat bendo out of his prime. Bendo has the better resume but pettis is the better fighter. You cant be a goat if someone proved they are better.

So you'd rate Dennis Hallman above Matt Hughes when ranking WW greats?

eddie alvarez lol.. nah..
yea lol that's just decision-hating. Alvarez's best wins are Chandler II, Aoki, Crusher and Curran plus the latter two are currently FWs.

No.

BJ Penn is the best LW of all time at the moment, Bendo got beat decisively in a minute in his prime!

GOATS move up in weight class. Penn is still Lw goat.

Pettis is better.

Penn, Alvarez, Edgar, Gomi, Melendez

Penn, Edgar, and Pettis are at least debatable.

Alvarez: Chandler, Patricky Friere(sic?), Aoki, Curran, Huerta, thats about it. Ben has several wins better than anyone on this list.

Melendez:Sanchez, Josh Thompson 2x, Masvidal, Kawajiri, Aoki, Guida. His biggest wins are JT, a win he shares with..... Bendo. Other than that, not on the same level of competition.

Gomi: Sakurai, pulver, Kawajiri, Aurelio, Ludwig, Griffin, I might just be a total JMMA hater, but I would consider wins over Gil, edgar, and diaz to be way more significant.

BJ Penn destroyed people in his victories.

The majority of bensons top wins could be draws

Gomi: Sakurai, pulver, Kawajiri, Aurelio, Ludwig, Griffin, I might just be a total JMMA hater, but I would consider wins over Gil, edgar, and diaz to be way more significant.
No. You're unbiased.

Kawajiri was a huge win back in 2005 though.

I agree with you TS, but it's an argument that has some holes in it.

But I think Bendo beats any era Penn.

BJ Penn destroyed people in his victories.

The majority of bensons top wins could be draws

the majority of his top wins would beat the majority of penn's wins also. it's too difficult to judge because the high points of their respective careers were not at the same time, but that really doesn't mean as much as you're suggesting

What is your definition of beating? For me, its finishing a guy or dominating enough to see a gap in talent levels. (Couture vs Silvia) Edgar v Penn I was not a win for either guy in my book, just like Bendo v Melendez wasn't a win for either guy. I have my own ways I judge fighters just like everyone else, and I don't go solely off official wins or losses.

What? That doesnt make any sense at all. that would make bendos best win Khabilov. and edgars... maynard maybe? maybe not after he damn near was beaten to death in the 1st. otherwise no one for edgar.

No. You're unbiased.

Kawajiri was a huge win back in 2005 though.

Im a total hater, it just so happens that my hate alignes with pretty solid facts in this instance.

Motivated in shape prime Penn would wreck them all.

That mythical beast we hear of so much but never actually see?

I heard he's been training with several Yeti and the Lochness Monster for his next fight.

That mythical beast we hear of so much but never actually see?

I heard he's been training with several Yeti and the Lochness Monster for his next fight.

renan barao and caio magalgaes are not the best looking guys in the world but calling them that is just cruel... shame on you

the majority of his top wins would beat the majority of penn's wins also. it's too difficult to judge because the high points of their respective careers were not at the same time, but that really doesn't mean as much as you're suggesting

Let me start by saying Benson is a great fighter, and I won't be surprised to see him holding the belt this time next year.

However there is a difference in legacy between him and Penn today. Henderson won the belt on a contentious decision that a lot of people felt went the wrong way, and it set the tone for his entire reign. Of his 3 successful defenses, only his impressive beat down of Diaz was a clear cut win. his wins over Edgar and Gilbert were all hotly debated, and for good reason. That is going to taint his legacy

For the record, I thought at the time he had beaten Frankie for the title but I felt he pretty clearly lost the rematch. I did not see his fight with Gilbert though

If we were to create a purely numerical system not taking any sort of outside shit into account, just purely wins and losses, title victories and defenses, who you beat, etc., I could see Benson coming out on top.

There is no LW GOAT. For a time it was BJ but no one has really distinguished themselves at this point. It's either BJ, Edgar, Bendo, Pettis, or Gomi.

They've all got their merits and they've all got strikes against them.

It seems like a lot of people are clamoring on board the Pettis for GOAT train but the dude has yet to defend a single major belt he's won and has, what, 3 top 10 victories? It's entirely premature.

I mean, if you removed the names and just compared Bendo and Pettis' resumes, (belts won, title defenses, top 10 victories), Bendo wins out in a landslide, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'd take Bendo over Pettis.

Shit is complicated.

Pettis hasn't faced enough stiff competition for him to be ranked above Henderson imo.

Back