Ben Askrens next opponent?

Maia has one fight left on his contract and it might be the last. Give him a name like Askren, someone who won't be afraid to grapple with him. They're only a couple spots away from eachother in the rankings too.

Hmm..

Run it back with Masvidal imo

First fight was some fluke shit

Maia would be the most interesting imho.
That's an interesting idea. Problema is testing Dana's thesis of how a wrestling style alone can fare in the UFC's mixed martial arts environment.

It's not a question of skill; it's a question of the MMA sporting art. Maia really doesn't provide that test. More like extended training. Plus it would entirely embarrass the UFC if Askren lost. Loss to a mediocre striker and to BJJ. BAck to square one, mixed martial arts wise.<33>

Feed him Chiesa, Askren needs a gimme fight. He started his UFC tenure by fighting killers, he deserves a tune-up fight.
Yeah, the UFC really put Ben's feet to the fire.

Robbie has the reputation of a warrior, five round wars the whole nine yards. Masvidal can put people away. KO'd Cerrone, for instance. While both these competitors have inconsistencies, stains on their records,,, they are both highly experienced professionals in a full contact striking context w extensive track records.

However one wants to look @ the UFC's matchmaking logic, Ben's not getting any free ride.<VinceShock>

Last edited:
I like a match with Chiesa.

Someone who has grappling he has to respect to some degree but who can also strike a little bit.

This fight makes the most sense imo. Plus the grappling should be amazing to watch regardless of the winner.

You don't like that option?

I think it’s interesting for sure. It’s certainly one of the most relevant matches for Demian that are left to be done as of now. It’s an interesting challenge, diferent than all other fights against top wrestlers we had IMO, and intriguing to see how it would unfold. We respect him a lot as a grappler and a fighter.
Still, I honestly have no idea what the UFC thinks about it, or even Askren for that matter.
Chiesa would also make sense now, more than before I guess, for both their moments and his fighting style.

But we will see, I think it’ll depend a lot on what are the UFC plans for São Paulo in November, and also Demian’s plans of continuing for one or two more fights after this or not, etc , In terms of UFC’s plans and how they want to matchup fighters.

Back