Ben Askren takes on Olympic Gold Medalist Jordan Borroughs tonight.

This sounds awesome!

giphy.gif

200.gif

They should call the event "Oil Check"

Why did you feel the need to shit on a bunch of the lightweights in order to try and put Ben over?

Why are you ignoring his clear delineation that those were high profile signings. It's not about weight. He's not sitting there saying that Askren would wreck LWs.

Brimage was 6-1 (3-0 UFC) when Conor debuted and fought him
Kamal was 7-2-1 when Khabib debuted and fought him
Askren fought Lawler who was coming off of a loss from former LW RDA lol
Are you seriously comparing Robbie Lawler to Brimage and Kamal? Askren has some huge balls, and that's it.

Why are you ignoring his clear delineation that those were high profile signings. It's not about weight. He's not sitting there saying that Askren would wreck LWs.

All this thread is about is Ben's wrestling match tonight! There was no need to bring up and discredit those fighters it was a stupid post. imo

All this thread is about is Ben's wrestling match tonight! There was no need to bring up and discredit those fighters it was a stupid post. imo

Ah so you are stating that Askren's first fight in the UFC was not against a much tougher opponent than Conor, Khabib and Geadtjhe got? Tell me more...

Are you seriously comparing Robbie Lawler to Brimage and Kamal? Askren has some huge balls, and that's it.
No Im not, Im talking about the records of their opponents when they debuted in the UFC and not shitting on them

Ah so you are stating that Askren's first fight in the UFC was not against a much tougher opponent than Conor, Khabib and Geadtjhe got? Tell me more...

People didn't know about Conor or Khabib before UFC yeah sure some hardcores did but more people knew about Askren i am sure.

What is your point anyway that Askren has huge balls? lol gtfo he didn't choose the fight that's what was offered and he barely made it out alive.

Don't think legit betting odds exist, but hard to imagine Askren won't get killed tonight. Wish the match was collegiate Folkstyle instead of Freestyle. Would be more competitive.

View attachment 578241
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6471571-the-complete-beat-the-streets-2019-preview
Official match preview:

Finishing us off will be one of the biggest matches in the history of the sport. While Ben Askren is long past his wrestling competing days, he is actively in pursuit of a UFC belt. One of the big questions in retrospect when looking back at Burroughs career is what would have happened had Askren continued wrestling through the London Olympics in 2012. While we'll never know that for sure, we still get this.

Burroughs has an "Undertaker at WrestleMania" like-streak going at Beat the Streets, with a 9-0 record in the past eight years (wrestling twice in 2013 when the sport was trying to fight its way back into the Olympics). The four-time world champ and 2012 Olympic gold medalist has knocked off four Russians, a Cuban, an Iranian, a world silver medalist from Japan, and last year defeated Frank Chamizo in what would set up an incredible trilogy that would end in the bronze medal match in Budapest.

Since making the 2008 Olympic team, Ben Askren has wrestled sparingly, but has amassed a 19-0 record in MMA and dabbled in jiu jitsu. He's one of the most polarizing athletes in mixed martial arts, and will likely finish out his career in the UFC. The MMA crowd has long been fascinated with wrestlers, in particular guys like Kyle Snyder and Jordan Burroughs. This Monday, the Askren/Burroughs match should introduce UFC fans to one of the best American wrestlers of all-time.

I know jackshit about wrestling coming from the UK, what is the difference between collegiate Folkstyle and Freestyle?

People didn't know about Conor or Khabib before UFC yeah sure some hardcores did but more people knew about Askren i am sure.

What is your point anyway that Askren has huge balls? lol gtfo he didn't choose the fight that's what was offered and he barely made it out alive.

Most of Sherdog had no clue who Askren was until he fought in the UFC. I assume the casual fans in North America had even less of a notion who he was.

And were you even around when Conor joined? He came in with tons of hype into the UFC and so did Khabib. Gaedjthe was the WSOF champ (and undefeated) again tons of hype. Pettis was branded the future LW champ when he joined from the WEC.

Askren agreed to fight Lawler and yes that's an example of huge balls. He was retired, stated flat out the only way he would come back was if he could fight GSP. They offered him Lawler (probably with some vague promise that if GSP stayed in MMA, he could fight him) and he accepted.

Askren knows he has a shelf life and fighting a low level B fighter or two makes it even tougher for him to get at the belt.

Robbie came in with a strategy. Beat the shit out of Askren with ruthless aggression. It was a “finish in the first 2:30 or you’re fucked” type of thing. Askren not only survived he finished Lawler with a pretty sick sub. Controversial, but still sick.

I didn’t like Askren before the fight, but I sure do now

Most of Sherdog had no clue who Askren was until he fought in the UFC. I assume the casual fans in North America had even less of a notion who he was.

And were you even around when Conor joined? He came in with tons of hype into the UFC and so did Khabib. Gaedjthe was the WSOF champ (and undefeated) again tons of hype. Pettis was branded the future LW champ when he joined from the WEC.

Askren agreed to fight Lawler and yes that's an example of huge balls. He was retired, stated flat out the only way he would come back was if he could fight GSP. They offered him Lawler (probably with some vague promise that if GSP stayed in MMA, he could fight him) and he accepted.

Askren knows he has a shelf life and fighting a low level B fighter or two makes it even tougher for him to get at the belt.

How can i compete with such a fucked up narrative.

<{vega}>

enjoy the rest of your day in that dream world of yours, I'm out!

No one can ever say that Askren doesn't have huge balls... Fights a top 5 killer (and former champ) in his UFC debut.

Compare other big name signings debuts:

Conor McGregor - 7-7 Marcus Brimage
Khabib - 9-5 Kamal Shalorus
Gaedjthe - Michael Johnson (Who at the time they fought had recently fallen out of the top 10)
Pettis - Got Guida for his first fight (Guida at the time was on the cusp of top 10)

And then goes into a wrestling match with the odds stacked heavily against him. He is fighting at his walking around weight which is 184 pounds. Compare that to a guy like Woodley who walks around at 210. Hell Lawler, walks around north of 200 pounds as well.
conor and khabib weren't really " big " names when they got signed, they were known but definitely not big. askren already had wins over guys like lima, koreshkov and aoki before coming over.

also brimage was 3-0 in the UFC and 6-1 overrall before conor beat him.

My picks (for the matches I’m interested in):

Green
Snyder
Gwiz
Colon
Taylor
Cox
Yianni
Burroughs

I think Ashnault is more of threat than he’s given credit for but right now I’m going with the experienced Green especially in FS. I think it’ll be close though.

Yianni looks great right now but I'm still picking Bajrang. Foster vs. Taylor is a comical mismatch.

Don't think legit betting odds exist, but hard to imagine Askren won't get killed tonight. Wish the match was collegiate Folkstyle instead of Freestyle. Would be more competitive.

View attachment 578241
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6471571-the-complete-beat-the-streets-2019-preview
Official match preview:

Finishing us off will be one of the biggest matches in the history of the sport. While Ben Askren is long past his wrestling competing days, he is actively in pursuit of a UFC belt. One of the big questions in retrospect when looking back at Burroughs career is what would have happened had Askren continued wrestling through the London Olympics in 2012. While we'll never know that for sure, we still get this.

Burroughs has an "Undertaker at WrestleMania" like-streak going at Beat the Streets, with a 9-0 record in the past eight years (wrestling twice in 2013 when the sport was trying to fight its way back into the Olympics). The four-time world champ and 2012 Olympic gold medalist has knocked off four Russians, a Cuban, an Iranian, a world silver medalist from Japan, and last year defeated Frank Chamizo in what would set up an incredible trilogy that would end in the bronze medal match in Budapest.

Since making the 2008 Olympic team, Ben Askren has wrestled sparingly, but has amassed a 19-0 record in MMA and dabbled in jiu jitsu. He's one of the most polarizing athletes in mixed martial arts, and will likely finish out his career in the UFC. The MMA crowd has long been fascinated with wrestlers, in particular guys like Kyle Snyder and Jordan Burroughs. This Monday, the Askren/Burroughs match should introduce UFC fans to one of the best American wrestlers of all-time.

Askren bout to get worked.
Folkstyle wouldve been way more fun.

conor and khabib weren't really " big " names when they got signed, they were known but definitely not big.

Sorry but maybe you should watch McGregor's first fight or the lead up to the event. He got a ton of press and was heavily promoted out of the gate.

Anyone that followed European MMA knew all about Conor coming into his first appearance.

And my point which seems to keep getting obscured it that Lawler was a far tougher first fight than anything close to what McGregor or khabib had for their first fights. I don't recall either of them fighting a guy that was ranked much less a former champ in their first tilt.

conor and khabib weren't really " big " names when they got signed, they were known but definitely not big. askren already had wins over guys like lima, koreshkov and aoki before coming over.

That guy is clearly a huge Askren dickrider don't bother.

You are correct tho..

Back