Ben Askren takes on Olympic Gold Medalist Jordan Borroughs tonight.

Ok that it explains it thanks: But have to say thats a little cheap from him especially if he owns part of it. The match had no relevance regarding the sport and was imo even a little disrespectful to Burroughs.
Like a Celebrity Boxing match with Errol Spence. Maybe a little too hard as Askren is an acomplished wrestler but it has been a long time and really he cant hold a candle to any top50-100 freestyler nowadays.

Don't see it as disrespectful. It brought a lot more attention to Burroughs than he saw for winning any international tournament aside from the Olympics would have. It also helps show people that there are levels. Most of the leadups had Been saying that if he can't find a way to pin him he is going to lose.

Was good exposure for JB and possibly introduced him to some new fans

Last edited:
Wasn't it for charity
It was for charity for New York inner city wrestling coaching and participation opportunities. Guessing the wrestlers were still at the very least paid housing and transportation though.

It was for charity for New York inner city wrestling coaching and participation opportunities. Guessing the wrestlers we're still at the very least paid housing and transportation though.
Did not know that thx.

Is Usman a complete moron? When did Askren shit talk Burroughs ever? Hell he was on Helwani's podcast a few hours before talking about how great Burroughs is and that he essentially is going to get owned.

Maybe Usman should shut his trap and try doing some charity work himself.

Ok that it explains it thanks: But have to say thats a little cheap from him especially if he owns part of it. The match had no relevance regarding the sport and was imo even a little disrespectful to Burroughs.
Like a Celebrity Boxing match with Errol Spence. Maybe a little too hard as Askren is an acomplished wrestler but it has been a long time and really he cant hold a candle to any top50-100 freestyler nowadays.

The event wasn't supposed to be even remotely relevant? It was for charity and that's it. Askren hasn't been a ranked wrestler since 2012.

A bunch of top present and past wrestlers got together to promote a charity. I don't think anyone should take it too seriously.

And that made Brimage or Kamal ranked? They had zero top 15 wins and were not ranked when they fought Conor and Khabib. Are you actually disputing that???

Lawler was ranked #5 just prior to the Askren fight.

I was comparing the levels of competiton they fought. But I guess in your educated opinion that Shalorus and Brimage were just as dangerous as Robbie Lawler for a first fight.

People will argue about anything on here. I say, two guys got unranked opponents and one guy fought a top 5 guy and someone just has to find a way to dispute a simple fact.

Wasnt a fact

Get fighters' records straight instead of making up numbers

I don't get why this had to be freestyle instead of folkstyle? At least it would've been competitive if it was folk and we could have had a better indication of how JB does on the mat. At this point, Askren wouldn't have stood a chance with the #100 ranked guy in freestyle, let alone someone of JB's pedigree.

It's like throwing in Brock Lesnar in a sumo match against Hakuho or DC in a greco match vs. Aliakbari then going

Surprised_Pikachu.jpg

when they get crushed.

The post match interview between Jordan and Ben was great. Both men smiling the whole time with nothing but love for each other and wrestling. Ben knew he was outmatched and did this event anyway for charity and to bring attention to the sport. That's sacrifice and giving back. Amazing.

I'd say the best amateur wrestler is Sadulaev, by the amount of points scored/against him, it isn't really close. With one more world title, he will have matched the number of world titles that Burroughs has. Plus, Sadulaev isn't even 23 yet lol

I did say arguably

Strikes from his back? Because he's not getting top position on Burroughs.

LOL, it's not wrestling match on a mat my friend. There are whole bunch of other variables involved in a mma fight than a wrestling match. Considering you're a fan of this sport I would expect you to know this. Are we really discussing a guy with no pro or amateur fights who wrestles vs a top mma WW with 10 years of fighting?

Strikes and damage play a huge factor, the fact its a mma fight there are other forms of grappling that are implemented. Askren being a pro fighter for 10 years and training with gyms like Roufus and Evolve mma he's going to pick up skills in other grappling forms, not only that, adapt and learn how to implement them in an actual mma fight. Buroughs is an amateur in the grappling element of a mma fight and other forms of grappling, he would be lost in there. You have to consider the cage plays plays a factor in a mma fight. A wrestling match is about scoring points and starting over, in a mma fight it's all about control and a continuing action....again Burroughs is an amateur in that element of a fight.

Askren could take the game plan to pressure him against the cage, dirty box, attempt submissions. These are all things that Buroughs does not know how to do. He would eventually get him on his back and pound him out or submit him.

Brimage was 6-1 (3-0 UFC) when Conor debuted and fought him
Kamal was 7-2-1 when Khabib debuted and fought him
Askren fought Lawler who was coming off of a loss from former LW RDA lol

He tore his ACL.

Which one of those guys was a UFC champion? Oh yeah LOL

What an embarrassing performance that was
{<jordan}
Almost as embarrassing as Conor trying to box Floyd, but at least he had some minor success <45>

What an embarrassing performance that was
{<jordan}
Almost as embarrassing as Conor trying to box Floyd, but at least he had some minor success <45>

Anyone that thought that would be close was an idiot.

If it was an actual contest where people tried then UFC would not allow him to participate. they wouldn't let anyone do something that could cause them to get hurt out of competition

Askren has the biggest chin I've ever seen, the only other chin that big was the fake one in that movie Mask with Cher.

If it was an actual contest where people tried then UFC would not allow him to participate. they wouldn't let anyone do something that could cause them to get hurt out of competition

Eh, he was at decent risk of being hurt. Shoved off the stage. Doubt Dana was aware of the terrible setup when he signed off.

I don't get why this had to be freestyle instead of folkstyle? At least it would've been competitive if it was folk and we could have had a better indication of how JB does on the mat. At this point, Askren wouldn't have stood a chance with the #100 ranked guy in freestyle, let alone someone of JB's pedigree.

It's like throwing in Brock Lesnar in a sumo match against Hakuho or DC in a greco match vs. Aliakbari then going

Surprised_Pikachu.jpg

when they get crushed.
It's not really like that at all. Brock Lesnar has probably never competed in a sumo match nor trained specifically or it. DC I would guess has wrestled a greco match, but most likely never focused on the style. Ben Askren was an accomplished freestyle wrestler with significant amount of training time dedicated it. Since he graduated from college in 2007, he only focused completely on freestyle for the one year before the 2008 Olympics and didn't try to make the team in 2009 when he started fighting MMA, but hat doesn't mean he only did it for one year. He competed at junior nationals in freestyle all 4 years in high school placing 4th in 2001 and winning it in 2002. In college he trained and competed in freestyle in the off season and was 6th at 84kg at the 2004 Olympic trails and US national champion and Olympic trials champion at 74kg in 2008. He probably completed between US nationals and the trials a handful of times in college. He also has a freestyle win over Hrovat who won the 2008 Olympic trials at 84kg.

It wouldn't have been competitive in folkstyle either. Askren would have a better chance, though it would still be very small and the difference in scoring would make make the score closer and not a shutout, but no less dominant.

Back