Ben Askren takes on Olympic Gold Medalist Jordan Borroughs tonight.

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score

Don't think legit betting odds exist, but hard to imagine Askren won't get killed tonight. Wish the match was collegiate Folkstyle instead of Freestyle. Would be more competitive.

FB_IMG_1557166625981.jpg
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6471571-the-complete-beat-the-streets-2019-preview
Official match preview:

Finishing us off will be one of the biggest matches in the history of the sport. While Ben Askren is long past his wrestling competing days, he is actively in pursuit of a UFC belt. One of the big questions in retrospect when looking back at Burroughs career is what would have happened had Askren continued wrestling through the London Olympics in 2012. While we'll never know that for sure, we still get this.

Burroughs has an "Undertaker at WrestleMania" like-streak going at Beat the Streets, with a 9-0 record in the past eight years (wrestling twice in 2013 when the sport was trying to fight its way back into the Olympics). The four-time world champ and 2012 Olympic gold medalist has knocked off four Russians, a Cuban, an Iranian, a world silver medalist from Japan, and last year defeated Frank Chamizo in what would set up an incredible trilogy that would end in the bronze medal match in Budapest.

Since making the 2008 Olympic team, Ben Askren has wrestled sparingly, but has amassed a 19-0 record in MMA and dabbled in jiu jitsu. He's one of the most polarizing athletes in mixed martial arts, and will likely finish out his career in the UFC. The MMA crowd has long been fascinated with wrestlers, in particular guys like Kyle Snyder and Jordan Burroughs. This Monday, the Askren/Burroughs match should introduce UFC fans to one of the best American wrestlers of all-time.

Last edited:
Subscription based viewing viewing online from www.flowrestling.org today at 6p.m. eastern time.

Preview of the event is a good read, stacked wrestling event for charity.

Don't think legit betting odds exist, but hard to imagine Askren won't get killed tonight. Wish the match was collegiate Folkstyle instead of Freestyle. Would been more competitive.

View attachment 578241
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6471571-the-complete-beat-the-streets-2019-preview
Official match preview:

Finishing us off will be one of the biggest matches in the history of the sport. While Ben Askren is long past his wrestling competing days, he is actively in pursuit of a UFC belt. One of the big questions in retrospect when looking back at Burroughs career is what would have happened had Askren continued wrestling through the London Olympics in 2012. While we'll never know that for sure, we still get this.

Burroughs has an "Undertaker at WrestleMania" like-streak going at Beat the Streets, with a 9-0 record in the past eight years (wrestling twice in 2013 when the sport was trying to fight its way back into the Olympics). The four-time world champ and 2012 Olympic gold medalist has knocked off four Russians, a Cuban, an Iranian, a world silver medalist from Japan, and last year defeated Frank Chamizo in what would set up an incredible trilogy that would end in the bronze medal match in Budapest.

Since making the 2008 Olympic team, Ben Askren has wrestled sparingly, but has amassed a 19-0 record in MMA and dabbled in jiu jitsu. He's one of the most polarizing athletes in mixed martial arts, and will likely finish out his career in the UFC. The MMA crowd has long been fascinated with wrestlers, in particular guys like Kyle Snyder and Jordan Burroughs. This Monday, the Askren/Burroughs match should introduce UFC fans to one of the best American wrestlers of all-time.

I don’t really follow the scene. Is this a stacked card worth watching the entirety of, or is it a “just watch the main event” type of thing?

I don’t really follow the scene. Is this a stacked card worth watching the entirety of, or is it a “just watch the main event” type of thing?

Matches 5-13 have my full attention. First four are ok.

Really hoping Askren can pull off the miracle. The other matches are excellent. Yianni vs Punia is what I’m excited about most. Hopefully this event pulls more mma fans into wrestling.

I kind of thought this would be a folkstyle wrestling match, that's disappointing to hear that it's freestyle(since Askren is the underdog and never really did freestyle).

No one can ever say that Askren doesn't have huge balls... Fights a top 5 killer (and former champ) in his UFC debut.

Compare other big name signings debuts:

Conor McGregor - 7-7 Marcus Brimage
Khabib - 9-5 Kamal Shalorus
Gaedjthe - Michael Johnson (Who at the time they fought had recently fallen out of the top 10)
Pettis - Got Guida for his first fight (Guida at the time was on the cusp of top 10)

And then goes into a wrestling match with the odds stacked heavily against him. He is fighting at his walking around weight which is 184 pounds. Compare that to a guy like Woodley who walks around at 210. Hell Lawler, walks around north of 200 pounds as well.

I agree with your assessment. It's tough to imagine Askren not getting thrashed in freestyle. I would have liked to see this as a folkstyle match. Askren was always better on the mat than standing.

There are a lot of big names that make it exciting for fans of wrestling. Some of the matches aren't very even, though.

I hope Borroughs slams Askren on his corny curly head.

My picks (for the matches I’m interested in):

Green
Snyder
Gwiz
Colon
Taylor
Cox
Yianni
Burroughs

I think Ashnault is more of threat than he’s given credit for but right now I’m going with the experienced Green especially in FS. I think it’ll be close though.

Matches 5-13 have my full attention. First four are ok.

I agree with your assessment. It's tough to imagine Askren not getting thrashed in freestyle. I would have liked to see this as a folkstyle match. Askren was always better on the mat than standing.

There are a lot of big names that make it exciting for fans of wrestling. Some of the matches aren't very even, though.

Cool I might tune in for this if I’m not busy later.

No one can ever say that Askren doesn't have huge balls... Fights a top 5 killer (and former champ) in his UFC debut.

Compare other big name signings debuts:

Conor McGregor - 7-7 Marcus Brimage
Khabib - 9-5 Kamal Shalorus
Gaedjthe - Michael Johnson (Who at the time they fought had recently fallen out of the top 10)
Pettis - Got Guida for his first fight (Guida at the time was on the cusp of top 10)

And then goes into a wrestling match with the odds stacked heavily against him. He is fighting at his walking around weight which is 184 pounds. Compare that to a guy like Woodley who walks around at 210. Hell Lawler, walks around north of 200 pounds as well.
Brimage was 6-1 (3-0 UFC) when Conor debuted and fought him
Kamal was 7-2-1 when Khabib debuted and fought him
Askren fought Lawler who was coming off of a loss from former LW RDA lol

Ben Askren is the hero of MMA, the best fighter, the funniest man, and very arguably the most sexually attractive fighter male or female in the UFC.

I look forward to his inevitable destruction of Burroughs tonight.*

*Not really, he's probably going to lose

Last edited:
I heard you have to pay $150 to get started? That it's an annual subscription, not a monthly? That's like the price of ESPN+ with the 1 UFC PPV given, plus an additional UFC PPV.

Not sure if they offer a monthly, can anyone let me know?

Brimage was 6-1 (3-0 UFC) when Conor debuted and fought him
Kamal was 7-2-1 when Khabib debuted and fought him
Askren fought Lawler who was coming off of a loss from former LW RDA lol

And that made Brimage or Kamal ranked? They had zero top 15 wins and were not ranked when they fought Conor and Khabib. Are you actually disputing that???

Lawler was ranked #5 just prior to the Askren fight.

I was comparing the levels of competiton they fought. But I guess in your educated opinion that Shalorus and Brimage were just as dangerous as Robbie Lawler for a first fight.

People will argue about anything on here. I say, two guys got unranked opponents and one guy fought a top 5 guy and someone just has to find a way to dispute a simple fact.

Good on Askren for taking this match for charity knowing very well that he's due for a L and that casuals won't let him hear the end of it.

I heard you have to pay $150 to get started? That it's an annual subscription, not a monthly? That's like the price of ESPN+ with the 1 UFC PPV given, plus an additional UFC PPV.

Not sure if they offer a monthly, can anyone let me know?

Assumed this had to be inaccurate (I have a yearly), but turns out you are right. That is disappointing, they used to offer $150 a year or $20 a month. Bummer, wouldn't have posted this if I knew Sherdoggers couldn't do a month sign up.

Back