Ben Askren Says He Was Winning Before He Got Caught

Which rounds did Askren win?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“I would have liked to [have gotten] a Muay Thai clinch more often, but he was able to stay out of that. But I was landing the punches I wanted to land; I was landing my uppercut really well. And then I was getting takedowns; I think I had four or five takedowns.

“And then I made a really bad decision. I remember thinking I won the first round. . . . I felt like I won the first two rounds. And when I got reversed in the third round, I looked up at the clock and thought,
I have a minute left . . . I have to get a reversal to win this round.

“And we had obviously trained so much back in camp [for BJJ] and I had a really good jiu-jitsu guy. . . I guess I was overconfident. . . . I was fairly confident that when I went for that reversal I was going to get it. But I didn’t; I failed.”

Last edited:
Got caught? stole someones line.....
992628848.jpg.0.jpg

Oh the old " I was winning before I lost." argument, pssh typical.

He won the 2nd but I think that's it, I'd give the first to Demian

I thought so. First round could have gone either way but I thought Askren won it.

Oh the old " I was winning before I lost." argument, pssh typical.
I mean I like to see this guy losing too, but they did ask him what he remembered of the fight and what went wrong. It's not an argument nor an excuse, he is just asnwering the question and telling what he thought.

That said, I thought it was 1-1 at that point

His plan was to keep it striking, go for a takedown towards to end up the round to ensure he won it, and wait til Damien gassed

the master submission artist submitting you is NOT you “getting caught”

The Guy that spent months drilling the Same technique to ktfo you isn’t a “fluke”

fuck off ben

sure he was. but it won't make a difference now. he's on a 2-fight losing streak, ending up unconcious in both fights.
he blew his chance, i don't think he'll manage to climb his way back up to a titleshot now.
but it was an entertaining ride, as long as it lasted

I mean I like to see this guy losing too, but they did ask him what he remembered of the fight and what went wrong. It's not an argument nor an excuse, he is just asnwering the question and telling what he thought.

That said, I thought it was 1-1 at that point
I know, I know, I'm just mucking around.

Ben won the 2nd round easily
1st round was maia's though

Benjamin should have kept it standing. K1 Ben was starting to have some success on the feet

It was clear that he was really outclassed on the ground, the sub was inevitable

To be fair he was winning the fight with Jorge too before he got caught.

Benjamin should have kept it standing. K1 Ben was starting to have some success on the feet

It was clear that he was really outclassed on the ground, the sub was inevitable
...... He swept Maia when Maia had mount on him, took down Maia, and passed Maia's guard multiple times......the fuck?

He started gassing and getting sloppy and gave up a bad position.

don't know how the judges had it, but seems like most sherdoggers think he was winning the fight, i do too

He's wrong. Two judges had it even after 2 rounds. The other judge had it 2-0 maia.

I think he was starting to take over. I remember saying "why did you do that!?" as soon as I saw him look up to his shoulder which allowed Maia plenty of space for the choke.

So was Chael Sonnan v Anderson 1 but who cares

It's irrelevant

Your thread title makes it look like a chuck quote, but what he said is not wrong, he failed ...

He won the 2d
On the other hand, I find Maia's shape and cardio very suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets USADA'd.

Back