Ben Askren predicts a Montreal fight with GSP in late 2019

VanMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://mmajunkie.com/2018/02/ben-askren-predicts-late-2019-showdown-with-georges-st-pierre-montreal

On his motivation:
“My main motivation is to prove I’m No. 1 in the world,” Askren recently told MMAjunkie Radio. “I think it will happen, at the Bell Centre (in Montreal). Me vs. ‘GSP,’ probably somewhere in late 2019. … I don’t need to make any more money from fighting, and there’s only one thing left to prove. I’ve been No. 1 for the past five years, and I’ve unfortunately never had the chance to prove that fight. It’s the one thing that interests me.”

Why he stopped pursuing UFC:
“(My first UFC negotiation) was so dirty, it left such a bad taste in my mouth,” Askren said. “I already didn’t want to talk to Dana. I don’t trust a damn word that comes out of his mouth. I don’t trust a word. It’s like, why did I never pursue that again? Well, it’s because the first time I got screwed over – it was just about as dirty a deal as anyone could give you. I don’t want to have that discussion again. I don’t trust them one bit.”

On his health:
“I’m 33, and I’ve taken very good care of my body,” Askren said. “I’ve never taken PEDs, so there’s no ill affects from that. I’ve never had a very major injury since college, and that was my neck, and it’s been over a decade, so I’m fine there. I’m very healthy. I’m planning on staying in good shape – not fighting shape. But I don’t see myself as being one of those guys that’s going to age very quickly.”

This isn't the first time I've heard him say he doesn't need anymore money. I'm curious to know how much he made fighting over seas and elsewhere. Pretty cool if he is that well off.

I'd watch for sure but I doubt it happens!

The only way that happens is if Askren starts taking some risks and goes to the ufc and somehow make a massive name for himself and wins the ww belt.

In other words, ain't gonna happen.

Gsp is not going to just change his bum life comming straight from the bush leagues like that. Why the hell would he?

WAR ASKREN!!!!!

Ben_askren.jpg

temp-320-31483945_medium.gif

SmartHeftyDunnart-size_restricted.gif

temp-320-23817866.gif

EZX8ua5.gif

Ben-Askren-CTT_4010-1200x800.jpg

Last edited:
I think Askren is on to something. If GSP has a choice to fight not much of a draw at WW but get the UFC title for decent money or fight someone nobody has ever heard of (Casuals) and nobody considers remotely one of the best WWs ever for not very much money, GSP will surely take Option #2. I am a huge GSP fan and have seen all his Montreal fights live and there is no way I would go to see that and I wouldn't even order the PPV. I would check it out on the interweb after the fact at some point.

So a "retired" guy is predicting a fight with a "formerly retired" guy.

I'm so sick of all these fighters saying that they are going into "retirement"

Just say you are taking a fucking break... actually GSP was like the one dude that got it fucking RIGHT.

Better stack that card with great fights because Askren vs GSP would put casuals to sleep. I would watch it because it would be a epic grappling match

I think Askren is on to something. If GSP has a choice to fight not much of a draw at WW but get the UFC title for decent money or fight someone nobody has ever heard of (Casuals) and nobody considers remotely one of the best WWs ever for not very much money, GSP will surely take Option #2. I am a huge GSP fan and have seen all his Montreal fights live and there is no way I would go to see that and I wouldn't even order the PPV. I would check it out on the interweb after the fact at some point.

i think that is a great fight, Ben Askren is no joke. Great matchup

This isn't the first time I've heard him say he doesn't need anymore money. I'm curious to know how much he made fighting over seas and elsewhere. Pretty cool if he is that well off.

Made good money there, but also makes steady income through his youth wrestling academies, and thats income that he can count on coming in for the next 20 or so years at least. Also makes some money from flosports. His wifes family also made a killing on some sort of pyramid scheme.

I like Askren a lot but he lacks experience against the really top guys (through no fault of his own). The likely scenario is GSP keeps him at bay and spams 1-2's like he did against Koscheck.

i think that is a great fight, Ben Askren is no joke. Great matchup
Askren is a complete joke. He has great wrestling and nothing else. GSP has better wrestling (MMA wrestling). Askren is fighting FWs like Aioki and GSP fights killers and just beat the UFC MW champion. Aside from no one in the world knowing who Askren is (Casuals) no one can even consider him to be in the top 10 WWs of all time and GSP is the #1 WW of all time by a very wide margin. Askren says he doesn't need money but he clearly WANTS money. He can beg all he wants but it will never happen and it wouldn't be competitive, not remotely.

Made good money there, but also makes steady income through his youth wrestling academies, and thats income that he can count on coming in for the next 20 or so years at least. Also makes some money from flosports. His wifes family also made a killing on some sort of pyramid scheme.

Smart dude who knows how to manage his money.

I strongly doubt that is going to happen. Strongly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back