Ben Askren outlines what it will take for him to come out of retirement

YyslyNA.jpg

This is why Ben is must see TV​
damn, i forgot some of those 'moves' were in rounds 1 and 2. i kept thinking it was all later when he was gassed or something

<6>

Why would anyone want to watch, though? He's literally done nothing in the UFC other than getting ko'ed in record setting time, getting ko'ed, and winning a controversial stoppage after almost getting finished.

Watching him lose is pretty entertaining though.

He needs a new hip first.

Speaking recently on his own podcast, Askren revealed that he would be willing to come out of retirement under certain circumstances.

“So here’s the deal: I would never make like full-fledge, ‘Hey, I’m gonna go fight, I’m gonna chase the title,’” Askren said. “But I love combat. I enjoy wrestling. I enjoy fighting. So yeah, if someone said, ‘Here’s some money, go fight one time. Here’s the right opponent, let’s have some fun.’ I probably would, you know?”

UFC and the organization would certainly be happy to have Askren keep fighting if he so wished. And while it won’t happen this year, Askren does hint that next year might be a possibility.

“I feel like I’m gonna have to do something to make sure I don’t get too heavy,” Askren said. “So I’m gonna have to compete in some way, shape, or form, might as well get paid for it. So I don’t see why not. And obviously, I’ve told you the UFC has expressed interest in giving me another fight but dude, my hip is so bad. So yeah, in a year or so.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
Would watch Askren - Masvidal 2 for sure

LOL @ people acting like Askren is trash and can't beat anyone in the UFC, or that he is likely to get KO'd again because it happened once in his entire career...you guys are ridiculous.

Didn't he need (or already get) a hip replacement though? I'm no expert on the implications of that for athletics, but I've got to assume that continuing to train and compete in professional cage fighting may not be the *best* idea at this point, regardless of his current ability.

Am i the only one who likes Ben? He's hilarious

One and only way you are allowed back Ben...upload_2020-8-5_11-20-31.png

*timestamped

giphy.gif

I have a feeling Askren is angling for a rematch with Masvidal. Now that Masvidal is a big PPV star, Askren might see an opportunity to avenge the KO loss and make some money at the same time.

At this point there's no reason for the UFC to pay him well. It's all on him to prove his worth.

Rather see him stayed retired because it's pretty clear he isn't cut out for the top 10

You can keep saying that all day, doesn't change what happened. Askren got KTFO'd in 3 seconds flat. That's a loss, whether you choose to accept reality or not
And I like Askren but you’re right

LOL @ people acting like Askren is trash and can't beat anyone in the UFC, or that he is likely to get KO'd again because it happened once in his entire career...you guys are ridiculous.

Didn't he need (or already get) a hip replacement though? I'm no expert on the implications of that for athletics, but I've got to assume that continuing to train and compete in professional cage fighting may not be the *best* idea at this point, regardless of his current ability.
He could go Brazil like Rey Mysterio, Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan did to get their surgery’s done dirt cheap. Rey’s knees were dust and thanks to whatever he had done over there he’s moving like a man 20 years younger.

I'd love to see a match between him and Colby or Leon.

He could go Brazil like Rey Mysterio, Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan did to get their surgery’s done dirt cheap. Rey’s knees were dust and thanks to whatever he had done over there he’s moving like a man 20 years younger.

Yeah, it would be interesting to learn more about it and what the implications are for a variety of things, like range of motion, movement, speed, and whether there is any additional potential for injury.

A lot of guys are competing with what we would normally think are severe limitations. Usman's knees are apparently shot and he seems to be doing rather well for himself lol

Unironically I would like him to fight Johny Hendricks. Hendricks had one of the best high school and collegiate wrestling careers ever and beat Askren in their high school senior year.

This guy is straight up delusional. Does he still think he is some undefeated fighter, that the UFC is afraid to sign, or something? What makes him think he's worth any amount of money to put on "fun fights", like he's some legend or something?

If you want to fight, then just fight. You aren't some retired legend like GSP, who gets to muse about coming back for money fights. You're just another fighter.

Back