Ben Askren making the most of his downtime. Wrestling current 2 time NCAA 197lb champ

People pay to watch that shit?

I do, but it's mostly just wrestling coaches (like myself) that are paying for the site i'd guess. In addition to some of wrestling marquee events being shown live the site also gives you 1,000's of technique videos from the best coaches as wrestlers themselves, showing some of their favorite techniques. At only $20 a month or 12.95 a month if you buy it for the year, no head coach should be without it.

Askren had better hope he wins though, beings he bet his hair on the match, I could see him crying if he has to shave off that famous head of hair.

There's Vegas odds on an event like this? Can't believe this stayed in heavyweight topics for two weeks

Ps...someone please post the results

I think it would be hilarious if Wright wins and the UFC signs him right away...would be a slap to both Ben and Bellator

less to risk for Askren by fighting the best at a couple weight classes above. If he loses it will be attributed to size. If he wins he gets uber credit. If he fought the best at his weight class and lost it would look far worse.

There's Vegas odds on an event like this?

Ps...someone please post the results

Will do. Here are the odds and a websites breakdown on the matchups and odds.

Ben Askren 3:2 favorite over Quentin Wright
Jordan Oliver 3:1 favorite over Lance Palmer
Nick Simmons 7:6 favorite over Stephan Abas
Jay Borschel 4:1 favorite over Aaron Simpson

Ben Askren 3:2 favorite over Quentin Wright

The bet to make:

Tough call here. For my money, Askren is a really safe play. There are many who think Askren is the favorite here. In my mind, the bet you make is the guy you think wins. If you think Askren is the guy (as I do) that's the bet to make. If I were setting the lines, I'd say 4:1 or 5:1 Askren. So in my mind, the bet is Askren. If you think this line is junk and Quentin will win, that's obviously good value, I simply disagree.

Throw all conventionality out when it comes to Ben Askren, including making odds. Is Quentin Wright bigger? Yes. Is Quentin Wright explosive? Yes. Have explosive athletes been problematic for Ben historically? Yes. Is Quentin actively training to wrestle at a high level? Yes. All that being said, Askren is the favorite in this match. The 9 minute match favors the man whom I’ve never seen show a sign of fatigue. The 9 minute match favors the man who scored at nearly unprecedented rates in his college career. Askren is no stranger to an exhibition match against a wrestler in the prime of his career (we all recall the beating he put on Herbert the year Jake made the Olympics). Askren is an extremely cerebral wrestler, he’s not going to lock up with Quentin, he’ll dive on a crappy single leg, and find a way to convert it to points. Quentin is a great bottom wrestler, so we’re reluctant to predict much nearfall, but ruling it out would be foolish on our part. Quentin’s shot at this match is to launch him. We don’t see Askren engaging in those ties, and we see Askren victorious. Score one for the fighters.

Jordan Oliver 3:1 favorite over Lance Palmer

The bet to make:

I think they got these odds just about right. I think Oliver is a comfortable favorite here, and I think I'd bet him to win, but in my opinion this may be the bet to avoid. I don't see that huge of a payoff with Oliver considering the odds you'd have to lay to pick him. Nor do I see Palmer as a significant enough underdog (odds wise) to merit a bet for him.

Jordan comes in hot off his 2nd NCAA championship. He continues to train year round in Stillwater with the hopes of World and Olympic Titles. Palmer has been training MMA exclusively since his graduation from Ohio State. We feel that even if both were in their wrestling primes (Jordan is, Palmer isn’t) Oliver would still be the favorite. Combine his full time wrestling focus and Palmers hand in a few styles we think Oliver will have the edge this match from neutral and won’t struggle with Lance’s top game. 30 seconds on top probably won’t be enough time for Lance to get his legs in and turn.

Nick Simmons 7:6 favorite over Stephen Abas

The bet to make:

I think the bet to make is Simmons. I think he's a way bigger favorite here than the odds indicate. I like a blow out match here for a variety of reasons. Take Simmons all the way to the bank.

Simmons is still in the midst of his wrestling prime and is competing on the Senior level. He’s just 2 years removed from placing 5th in worlds. While his Freestyle credentials are lacking compared to Abas, time is still undefeated. Abas was probably in his wrestling prime in 2004. He retired in 2008. Now 5 years removed from his retirement, we can’t expect him to be able to compete with someone who is A) World Class and B) Still in his athletic prime. Simmons for 9 minutes will wear out the legendary lightweight. Simmons top game will be problematic as well.

Jay Borschel 4:1 favorite over Aaron Simpson

The bet to make:

The safe bet here is Borschel. I like him comfortably here. Yeah, it's pretty fat odds for Borschel, but I'm struggling to find the scenario where Simpson wins. So bet him for a modest gain.

We view this similar to the JO/Palmer match up. Two guys who, in their primes would have been a dream match, but right now the primes are not lining up. orschel would probably be a slight favorite in a match if they both wrestled at their best. But Borschel continues to keep himself involved with the sport as an assistant coach at Northwestern University. He is not an active competitor like Oliver is, so the question of how battle tested he may be is legitimate. That being said, we think Jay Bo’s offense is underrated and view him as the favorite in this spot.

Thanks for posting Meathead.

I love these types of wrestling matches.

Sucks I won't be able to watch it live.

I imagine it will be on the USAWrestling YT later, I hope.

There are no odds out for this on any online book, the guy who wrote the article was talking out of his ass. There's also no book in Vegas having lines up for this either (they have a smaller selection of events when it comes to fighting anyway, so them having lines up for this is lol).

First match (of 4) over. Jay Borschel wins over Aaron Simpson 15-3. Kind of funny to me that Simpson needed a 20 second injury timeout because his knee was hurting. Was fairly close going into the 3rd period, but Borschel broke Simpson and wore him down in the end.

Urijah Faber and Daniel Cormier are both on hand and have been interviewed and helped with commentary. Both very complimentary towards Ben.

This is the reason why they pulled wrestling from the Olympics...no one even knows this event is on.

They are charging $20 bucks and no one is buying that outside a couple of people in the wrestling community. I mean are you telling me they couldn't even get some of the biggest names in wrestling on ESPN 3 or something like that?

What chance do they have of drawing the the masses to tune in for acceptable rating during primetime when the Olympics come around again?

If you can't bump women's volleyball, badminton, the world strongest man competition, bowling, softball, and all the other stuff they put on ESPN 3 how the hell are they going to compete for a spot during primetime on NBS the next time the Olympics come around?

If you can't put asses in seats you ain't going to make it

Jordan Oliver over Lance Palmer: 8-0

Oliver looked a lot better out there than Lance, just overall quicker. Next week Oliver wrestles Bubba Jenkins; i'll take Oliver in that matchup too.

This is the reason why they pulled wrestling from the Olympics...no one even knows this event is on.

They are charging $20 bucks and no one is buying that outside a couple of people in the wrestling community. I mean are you telling me they couldn't even get some of the biggest names in wrestling on ESPN 3 or something like that?

What chance do they have of drawing the the masses to tune in for acceptable rating during primetime when the Olympics come around again?

If you can't bump women's volleyball, badminton, the world strongest man competition, bowling, softball, and all the other stuff they put on ESPN 3 how the hell are they going to compete for a spot during primetime on NBS the next time the Olympics come around?

If you can't put asses in seats you ain't going to make it

Are you implying that only sports that "put asses in the seats" are Olympic worthy? Because I'm sure there's plenty of events in the Olympics that aren't watched by many at all.

Abas over Nick Simmons 2-1. Real close match, exciting 3rd period. MMA gets on the board.

Wrestlers lead 2 to 1 over MMA fighters.

Main event time now Askren vs Wright, time to see if Askren can even the score or if the wrestlers when the night 3-1.

Are you implying that only sports that "put asses in the seats" are Olympic worthy? Because I'm sure there's plenty of events in the Olympics that aren't watched by many at all.

but wrestling was pulled

Abas over Nick Simmons 2-1. Real close match, exciting 3rd period. MMA gets on the board.

Wrestlers lead 2 to 1 over MMA fighters.

Main event time now Askren vs Wright, time to see if Askren can even the score or if the wrestlers when the night 3-1.

what rules are they wrestling under?

Back