Ben Askren: "I think he lost me as a fan" (talking about Adesanya)

It was a great performance by Israel, but it was also boring in the sense that Paulo didn't do anything. I'd much rather see a back and forth war like Romero vs. Costa, then a lopsided fight like this.
That's why it was so amazing. Costa plodded forward against Romero to hit him with everything. Israel dismantled Costa in every way. He took out Costa's legs, stabbed him with jabs and landed his hardest punches whenever Costa closed the distance. It wasn't that Paulo didn't do anything, he was nullified.

I used to be an Adesanya fan, but he lost me too. Not during the fight though, but through being a douchebag over time.

Askren is so boring even he falls asleep 3 seconds into his fights

11-2.jpg
lol never seen this angle. Mas looks concerned for Ben here

Not a really a sucker punch. Dude walked across the room making eye contact with him the entire time. He wasn't going over there to get his autograph.

How often do professional UFC fighters actually sucker punch each other when they walk up to each other though? And after all that Masvidal is now evading a fight with the higher ranked Edwards. Masvidal claims he wants to fight Diaz in a money fight instead of fighting a higher ranked opponent in Edwards - a thing he mocked Conor for doing. I really do not know why ppl like this tasteless Masvidal.

You can be a fan of who you want for whatever reason you want. Same applies if you not to be fan. I often get in conversions with friends who are curious why I'm not a Lebron James fan. No doubting his greatness but I'm not a fan. Adesanya is great and Askren or anyone else don't have to be a fan.

That's why it was so amazing. Costa plodded forward against Romero to hit him with everything. Israel dismantled Costa in every way. He took out Costa's legs, stabbed him with jabs and landed his hardest punches whenever Costa closed the distance. It wasn't that Paulo didn't do anything, he was nullified.
I don't disagree with that. My point is that although it was a great performance by Israel, it wasn't a great fight. His fight vs. Gastelum for example was way more fun to watch because there was some back and forth.

So why is Askren tweeting Izzy hump memes then?

American wrestlers can't hang with Nigerian kickboxers.

How often do professional UFC fighters actually sucker punch each other when they walk up to each other though? And after all that Masvidal is now evading a fight with the higher ranked Edwards. Masvidal claims he wants to fight Diaz in a money fight instead of fighting a higher ranked opponent in Edwards - a thing he mocked Conor for doing. I really do not know why ppl like this tasteless Masvidal.
Nothing to do with liking him, I'm just addressing what you said. It wasn't a suckerpunch, it wasn't cool but it wasn't a sucker punch.

Found himself cheering for Costa who literally didnt connect 1 punch the whole fight and taunted more than he actually threw?

Welp Askren's opinion is officially worthless from now on.
Pretty much. Adesanya has been a POS forever. If you liked him before this fight, odds are you aren’t bothered by his typical behavior.

Costa also talked shit and taunted far more than Adesanya during the fight. That was surprising, considering he was getting his ass handed to him. Kinda got what was coming to him.

Costa was the only one who came off looking bad in that fight. Adesanya was very professional from the first second of the fight until the last second of the fight. The hump afterwards was not the fight, it was over. Costa didn't even fight back, all he did was blow kisses and make stupid lame faces and put his hands behind his back, so lame and he clowned himself while being a punching bag.

Nothing to do with liking him, I'm just addressing what you said. It wasn't a suckerpunch, it wasn't cool but it wasn't a sucker punch.

Sucker punch according to Merriam Webster dictionary:
"to punch (a person) suddenly without warning and often without apparent provocation"

I think that is what happened. Jorge walked up to Leon and no one thought that Jorge would suddenly punch Leon in the face. That is no one but Jorge.

I love watching Izzy's fights, but yeah can't be a fan of dbags. Bad blood is normal in MMA, but to disrespect the loser continuously like that, it takes a special POS.

Not a really a sucker punch. Dude walked across the room making eye contact with him the entire time. He wasn't going over there to get his autograph.

Mas was walking toward Leon, with hands behind his back. Then he sucker punched him.

Mas was walking toward Leon, with hands behind his back. Then he sucker punched him.
Lol he stopped mid interview and took a B line towards the dude that was talking shit to him. Just because Leon has horrible instincts don't make it a sucker punch.

Found himself cheering for Costa who literally didnt connect 1 punch the whole fight and taunted more than he actually threw?

Welp Askren's opinion is officially worthless from now on.
I am so confused by what Ben is saying. I usually like and understand what he says, but I’m not sure what He saw in that fight that caused him to stop rooting for Izzy, considering the beat down he administered on Costa

Last edited:
Back