Ben Askren "I can't stand when a wrestler gets a takedown"

I just don't understand why more guys don't give up thier back.

I understand in BJJ that is huge no-no and much more dangerous with the gi, but if you are loosing the the fight why not take the chance.

Edgar gives up his back, looks for wrist control and explodes, He even did it against BJ.

I think if you took away standups you would see more risks to get up leading to more scrambles and more exciting fights and ground exchanges.

The old sakuraba defense. He was a master at it.

Let's all go read Atlas Shrugged and become a little dumber.

Gotta love pop philosophers.

WHOAH! I am wondering if anyone READ the article. The article said nothing about wrestlers who take an opponent down and counter stand ups, it said NOTHING about wrestlers who go in and try to advance or try to submit or try to strike. In fact I read no where in that article that said anything negative about wrestlers or wrestling that tried to do anything.

All he said was that he didnt like guys who scored the takedown and did NOTHING with it.

I am a huge fan of wrestling, I am a big proponent of getting on top and staying there but at the same time I feel that there should be some action, especially if it is clear the bottom man is working too.

I think too much is being made out of nothing. He said something specific and we are trying to spin it into something else.

If the UFC feels a need for change they'll instruct the refs to stand them up more quickly in that Lay N pray position or change the scoring for takedowns. Them feeling a need for change will probably be a result of community backlash or a decrease in ratings... more likely the ratings.

Ben Askren has as good of chance as anyone I've seen to be a UFC champion. Maybe I'll eat my words down the e-Road but there are amazing athletes in the UFC and i don't believe 95% of them are near the athletic level required to be a fucking olympic wrestler.

Last edited:
WHOAH! I am wondering if anyone READ the article. The article said nothing about wrestlers who take an opponent down and counter stand ups, it said NOTHING about wrestlers who go in and try to advance or try to submit or try to strike. In fact I read no where in that article that said anything negative about wrestlers or wrestling that tried to do anything.

All he said was that he didnt like guys who scored the takedown and did NOTHING with it.

I am a huge fan of wrestling, I am a big proponent of getting on top and staying there but at the same time I feel that there should be some action, especially if it is clear the bottom man is working too.

I think too much is being made out of nothing. He said something specific and we are trying to spin it into something else.

I read the article but the first post lead me to believe that at one point Ben said Maynard pissed him off.

Still though how many guys get atakedown and do nothing? Rashad Evans scores takedowns for points but Maynard had a full on Kimura on Huerta and I thought he was working hard on his GnP against Kenny.

Again if you are on the bottom and you are losing it is your responsibility to take the risks to win.

If you were down 10-0 in a match would accept the loss or would you go for the big throw (take out the team aspect of not wanting to give up 6)

Kenny should have been going for broke.

Again Me and you are usually on the same page and your right about the article but I just don't think there is much of what he was talking about.

When you have standups you have guys on the bottom stalling hoping for standup.

I blame the guy on the bottom. It is your job as a fighter to escape the bottom, change the fight, punish your opponent, have an active guard, work on your takedown defense and/or win! Lay and pray is pathetic but at the end of the day it's the losers fault for not being able to change the outcome of the fight.

I agree some guys on the bottom need to be a lot more active. I guess there afraid of being put in an even worse position.

i think u guys arent giving wrestling enough credit. people always say BJJ is the best grappling art but u guys are all crying about how wrestlers dominate everyone. i think most pro fighters dont train enough wrestling if any and the ones that do are some of the best. ORTIZ, COUTURE, LIDDELL, GSP, KOSCHECK

I actually like watching good wrestlers get takedowns. When I see a huge pickup double leg I yell out "OHHHH!!!" It's exciting to watch.

And yeah, if you're losing fights to wrestlers, you need to learn how to wrestle better.

There is exciting wrestling and boring wrestling, but stalling of any type is always boring in any kind of competetive sports match. I'm not principally changing the scoring guidelines in some way to avoid this, but I've yet to hear a suggestion I don't see as problematic in some way.

I actually don't think stalling is currently a huge problem.

But in short, wrestlers don

I did. It was tedious, extremely poorly written, and not what I'd consider a moral or philosophical compass. Also the title makes no sense, which annoys me much more than it really should have. Atlas carried the heavens on his shoulders, not the Earth.

I read somewhere that bioshock's decision engine was based on Rand's libertarian ethical precepts

Main-Bioshock-image-bioshock-523361_1280_960.jpg

fuck yeah! check the sig baby....

But the losers still need to wrestle.

I actually like watching good wrestlers get takedowns. When I see a huge pickup double leg I yell out "OHHHH!!!" It's exciting to watch.

And yeah, if you're losing fights to wrestlers, you need to learn how to wrestle better.

why aren't more people drilling switches like crazy?

why go out to fight when you can go out to avoid fighting and make an equal amount of money

why go out to fight when you can go out to avoid fighting and make an equal amount of money

Some of that is on the other guy. Seriously if you think about it, you can train for years maybe decades and be totally neutralized?

that means you have things to work on.

Is stalling allowed in grappling competitions? If it isn't there, I can't see how it should in MMA. If anything the rules should be stricter on stalling.

Everyones answer seems to be penalize wrestlers for inactivity, but in many cases that is completely subjective. For as much shit that Fitch is given for "lay and pray" when does he ever stop trying to advance? For example in the Alves fight, he was criticized for "just holding Alves down." What is he supposed to do with Alves tried to get up? Let him? Why wasn

Back