Ben Askren "I can't stand when a wrestler gets a takedown"

I love watching good active wrestling with decent GnP or transitions. But I fail to see how you can win on points by proving your abilty to pin somebody. Its not a freestyle wrestling match is meant to be a fight.

Oh but I don't think Maynard is that bad for stalling I just don't think he's capable of finshing a decent fighter.

He's right. Guys have to be more active, either pass, submit or strike. Just holding them sucks, especially when the guy on bottom is just waiting too. Makes for a very boring fight.

It's Ultimate Fighting not ultimate Positioning.....but wait it's position over submission....I'm so confused.

Oh but I don't think Maynard is that bad for stalling I just don't think he's capable of finshing a decent fighter.

after his florian fight he basically admitted he didn't really engage and just waited to get a takedown for points as the clock ran out each round.

Everyones answer seems to be penalize wrestlers for inactivity, but in many cases that is completely subjective. For as much shit that Fitch is given for "lay and pray" when does he ever stop trying to advance? For example in the Alves fight, he was criticized for "just holding Alves down." What is he supposed to do with Alves tried to get up? Let him? Why wasn

after his florian fight he basically admitted he didn't really engage and just waited to get a takedown for points as the clock ran out each round.

He came a lot closer to finishing Huerta than Florian did. And why wasn't Kenny attacking being down 2 rounds?

If you look at the guys Maynard has fought who has finished them?

Jim Miller, Nate Diaz, Florian, Edgar, Huerta.

This guy was thrown in with quality opponents right away.

I blame the guy on the bottom. It is your job as a fighter to escape the bottom, change the fight, punish your opponent, have an active guard, work on your takedown defense and/or win! Lay and pray is pathetic but at the end of the day it's the losers fault for not being able to change the outcome of the fight.

its mma. everyone is training striking. everyone is training bjj/nogi.

how many are training wrestling seriously? GSP

mma guys need to train wrestling at least 3 times a week.

Everyones answer seems to be penalize wrestlers for inactivity, but in many cases that is completely subjective. For as much shit that Fitch is given for "lay and pray" when does he ever stop trying to advance? For example in the Alves fight, he was criticized for "just holding Alves down." What is he supposed to do with Alves tried to get up? Let him? Why wasn

I just don't understand why more guys don't give up thier back.

I understand in BJJ that is huge no-no and much more dangerous with the gi, but if you are loosing the the fight why not take the chance.

Edgar gives up his back, looks for wrist control and explodes, He even did it against BJ.

I think if you took away standups you would see more risks to get up leading to more scrambles and more exciting fights and ground exchanges.

I just don't understand why more guys don't give up thier back.

I understand in BJJ that is huge no-no and much more dangerous with the gi, but if you are loosing the the fight why not take the chance.

Edgar gives up his back, looks for wrist control and explodes, He even did it against BJ.

I think if you took away standups you would see more risks to get up leading to more scrambles and more exciting fights and ground exchanges.

he did a frekkin situp, balancing ontop of a guy, a guy who is one of the best BJJ in the world (arguable nowadays I guess) who had his back!

bloody marvellous

he did a frekkin situp, balancing ontop of a guy, a guy who is one of the best BJJ in the world (arguable nowadays I guess) who had his back!

bloody marvellous

Yes it was.

I have a name for that move DETERMINATION! That kid was not going to be held down.

you gotta hate this. i think they should revamp the score system..

i mean getting the takedown is great and all but more and more you see fighters playing the system and using them to just score points.

i wouldn't be upset if they scored strikes from a top position more heavily than if your on your feet and did away with takedown points all together. it would benefit the stronger wrestler who has good ground and pound and also benefit the better grappler who isn't afraid to fight off of his back. it would also produce more exciting matches both on the ground and standup and you wouldnt see as much stalling...

Last edited:

Ben Askren just came to my gym for a seminar... it was awesome.

good post.

even better for ending with atlas shrugged. getting inked next month and my first tat is themed around AS.

great interview TS. i was not a big follower or fan of askren before but i think the interview was very good, and definitely makes me want to root for him. he seems to have a very positive mentality towards learning and improving. he has nice terse responses and keeps it real.

Yup, I had my penis tatooed with "Made From Reardon Steel".

Just kidding. It only says "Made from Rea

I ran out of room.:icon_cry2

But seriously, do you notice how the (at the time) absurdly exagerrated political speech by the "looters and moochers" is now almost spoken verbatim by politicians and media?

Ayn saw it coming.

Back