Media Ben Askren destroys Kelvin Gastelum on Twitter

? Go watch rogan's podcast with askren. That reasons for askren being blacklisted are very clear and have been discussed here many times.

He didn't choose to go to one fc, it was his only viable option. If you had done the bare minimum of research you would have known this.

Making statements without even cliffs? Sum it up for me.
It was his only choice because of his personality. As I see it he was a Dick to DW and difficult to deal with. Bellator let him walk as well. He clearly was happy to make $50-$100k to beat up nobodies. He talks a lot with little accomplishments to back it up. He may turn out to be great but I suspect he could easily be another Hector Lombard or Justin Gathje. JG was 17-0 with 15 finishes and is 2-2 in the UFC with 2 KO losses and was nearly KO'd in one of his wins. Vick was even touching him clean.

It was his only choice because of his personality. As I see it he was a Dick to DW and difficult to deal with. Bellator let him walk as well. He clearly was happy to make $50-$100k to beat up nobodies. He talks a lot with little accomplishments to back it up. He may turn out to be great but I suspect he could easily be another Hector Lombard or Justin Gathje. JG was 17-0 with 15 finishes and is 2-2 in the UFC with 2 KO losses and was nearly KO'd in one of his wins. Vick was even touching him clean.

Can't be bothered to provide you cliffs. You are making statements with zero knowledge but thats typical here at sherdog.

And as an fyi if you think askren was making "50-100k" per fight in FC... lol

3RaVIMQ.jpg

Agreed with the post jg is awesome and one of my favs. Dude always brings it and puts on a show and if it leads to a loss he is still great

I plan to pay to watch Kelvin Gastelum vs Whittaker, but I ain't likely to order any Askren PPV.
I have a hard time believing that. If you are ordering one of the weakest PPVs on paper in a long time, that means you order them all basically. Askren co-maining a card isn't going to change that.

Kelvin is a bitch for that. Woodley was nothing but respectful to this dork and didnt even take his money. Fuck em

Can't be bothered to provide you cliffs. You are making statements with zero knowledge but thats typical here at sherdog.

And as an fyi if you think askren was making "50-100k" per fight in FC... lol

3RaVIMQ.jpg
I am sure he made more however his first contract was $50 to show $50- win. You can't even write a sentence to summarize your "Facts" truly indicates your lack of confidence. Perhaps you actually know something that I do not but your argument style is that of a teenage girl. "If you don't know why I am mad I am not telling you."

Really hope Ben lives up to his hype.

Also I am not the only one who reads his twitter and hears his nerdyish voice when reading right?

Hope askren destroys kelvin if they meet

ben destroyed kelvin? i actually thought that last zinger from kelvin, about ben finally having his first ufc fight was a great one! no surprise, it shut the conversation down.

Agreed with the post jg is awesome and one of my favs. Dude always brings it and puts on a show and if it leads to a loss he is still great
Gathje is truly a fun fighter to watch. My point was his status as an undefeated fighter and unbeatable ended quickly. Same thing is going to happen to Askren if he fights the wrong guys. WW is a bit thin now compared to when he left Bellator and ended up in the UFC. Maia is 41 now but I would like to have seen him vs Askren. Would Ben have to stand with him?

Usman, Colby, Thompson would all be interesting fights but when Ben left for One FC the WW division was filled with strong wrestlers who were also well rounded. That was not what Askren was interested in fighting. Fitch, Koscheck, Matt Hughes, Hendricks, Shields are all fighters who had the tools to give Askren fits. He outclassed all of his opponents in wrestling by leaps and bounds.

I am sure he made more however his first contract was $50 to show $50- win. You can't even write a sentence to summarize your "Facts" truly indicates your lack of confidence. Perhaps you actually know something that I do not but your argument style is that of a teenage girl. "If you don't know why I am mad I am not telling you."

If this hadn't been discussed on Shedog ad nauseum over the last year, perhaps I would be a bit more willing to elaborate. I get that people are inherently lazy and don't know how google search works but I will humor you in light of your lengthy tenure here.

It's not a simple one sentence clarification however.

Here we go:

Back in 2013, Askren had contacted the Fertitas and indicated an interest in joining the UFC. His last fight was in July of that year and he was coming off two big finishes. The UFC showed interest but indicated he would have to get out of his Bellator contract.

Meanwhile as a result of a twitter feud with white that started back in August of 2012 when Askren openly criticized Dana and the UFC for crappy drug testing (And the whole Barnett debacle) but primarily about standard drug testing which existed at the time in many other sports, Dana ended up publically talking a lot of shit about Askren. (However Askren didn't approach Dana directly)

Dana took it personally and stated that it was too expensive, logistically impossible due to fighters being in other countries etc (which is pretty ironic because the UFC set up comprehensive USADA testing only 3 years later).

CLkb5PS.jpg

During 2013 Askren went to Bjorn and asked to be released from his contract to join the UFC. Apparently there was some hardball back and forth as they did not want to release their undefeated champ so Askren threatened to sit out his contract and not fight. 4 months later they finally agreet to release him.

B6fTFpB.jpg

Askren flew to meet Lorenzo (while Dana conferenced in) late 2013. A deal was offered which Askren agreed to...

SZWBMiy.jpg

After that, Askren was screwed. He burned bridges with Bjorn as there was no interest in having him back. Rebney even took to social media to mock Dana for not signing Askren. Very bizarre situation.

HzTLsXs.jpg

As such, Askren had nowhere left to go. UFC pulled its offer, Bjorn didn't want him back (And to be fair Askren pulled a dick move threatening to sit out his contract if he didn't get a release so I don't blame Bjorn here).

WSOF was a low pay feeder for the UFC. Rizin didn't start until Sept of 2015, so One FC was really the only place to go other than maybe M1.

? Go watch rogan's podcast with askren. That reasons for askren being blacklisted are very clear and have been discussed here many times.

He didn't choose to go to one fc, it was his only viable option. If you had done the bare minimum of research you would have known this.
True. Bellator didn't want him. UFC didn't want him. Where else could Ben go? It's kind of sad that He was shunned but his fighting style was frowned upon. It was a boring style and Bellator and UFC passed on him. Now that the UFC is desperate for talent they finally sign him years later. Let's see how it works out

True. Bellator didn't want him. UFC didn't want him. Where else could Ben go? It's kind of sad that He was shunned but his fighting style was frowned upon. It was a boring style and Bellator and UFC passed on him. Now that the UFC is desperate for talent they finally sign him years later. Let's see how it works out

That's very true. UFC's 170 division is the worst it has been since it was established. Bellator currently has a better 170 division (including the guy that stomped Woodley).

Bellator didn't pass on resigning him though, truth be told he pissed them off by playing hardball to get out of his contract although Rebney certainly didn't spin it that way publically. Instead he used Askren to taunt Dana and co...

Back