Belt Systems need to go away

Other grappling arts like sambo and I think catch wrestling does not have a belt system. There are pros and con with belt system.

Belt system is something to aspire to but I get why some people dont like it.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I've been running into some real assholes who have black belts on lately. I could elaborate on my personal situation but it would be redundant. I find more ego's in the higher ranks in belt systems than I ever saw in my 6 years kickboxing.

A black belt the other day at my BJJ club tried to get me to admit to him that he "is capable of doing anything he wants to me" when the truth is this....

Perhaps sir, you could defeat me in a dual. However, with my training in other arts of the martial variety I'd advise you against it. You sir are a competent BJJ practitioner, but in the words of the great Mike Perry "I am a black belt with these hands."

Look, I don't think I'm that dangerous. I do have years of training in kickboxing/boxing with one full contact bout which leads me to believe that is this 45 year old man who only has grappling tried to "do anything to me"... he might get KTFO ....

That is one example of it, but I don't think the belts do anything good for anyone and should have never been adopted to begin with. The white belt was originally meant to hold a GI on and became black after years of training. Not this multicolored, hand out, club politic based, ego inflating garbage it has become.

TL/DR

Getting my black belt this year after 12 years.

Yep, he is a better grappler. He is a black belt in BJJ and I'm a blue belt in BJJ.
He has no experience in striking whatsoever and I have years of that.
He meant it as in a fight, not a bjj match. He genuinely believes that his black belt in BJJ makes him able to "do whatever he wants" to other grown ass men.
If I have to explain to you the ridiculousness of this statement then I don't know what else to say to you.
Only one way to find out, get him to fight you, a little mma sparring will most definitely clear things up

Last edited:
Thank you for being the first to create a real response unlike the other two genius' in the thread so far. It has been bugging me for a few weeks how this black belt has been carrying himself and I did have to speak to the head instructor about it. Some more bullshit happened last night in training. I always felt this way about the belts, but an arrogant black belt has just reminded me of why I feel this way about the belts.

Snolla, the belt color did not make the douche bag a douche bag.

He chose to be a douche bag.

And each time he engages in douchebaggery he makes a conscious decision to do so.

I doubt scrapping belt systems would do anything for the problems you have with how he manages his ego.

Ignore the trash talk. If you really want to spar with him under mma rules, offer to do so politely. If he refuses, no big deal.

A black belt the other day at my BJJ club tried to get me to admit to him that he "is capable of doing anything he wants to me" when the truth is this....

e.
What were the sequence of events that led to him saying this? That isn't something that is just "said" without context...

There are many fights that have no tracks like Sambo, Muaythai and others.
But the hierarchy will always exist.
If you have this metallity that being able to hit a graduate should change academy.

It sounds like this guy has a complex of some kind so you shouldn't worry about it. He's probably constantly trying to measure who's got a bigger dick in every aspect of life. It's only hurting him and pushing people away from him. Sounds like he got under your skin, which he shouldn't have. Guy is a tool.

Back