belt composition of your school?

Deathnever

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So i was wondering what the usual make up of your school student body is?

I live in the suburbs

at my school i would say its like split about half and half of whitebelts and blue belts
theres only 1 purple belt and 3-4 brown belts who train regularely at my school and 1 blackbelt.(school owner brownbelt)

usually the open classes are like 40% white belts and 60% blue belts

Is this normal for schools to have so little higher belts that attend class? I know that bluebelt is one of the belts that people tend to quit on but is it that much of a difference?

So like i said whats the usual make up of your school? What are the make up of your classes? also state whether you live in the city or in the suburbs

my gym is located right on a the edge of a college campus

we have about 54% white belts, 30% blue belts, 10% purple belts, 1% brown, 5%black belts // basically we generally have at least 4 purple belts on the mat at any given time at least 1-2 black belts there all the time ( we only have 1 brown belt now) after recent promotions. and about 20-30 white and blue mix

I live in the suburbs

at my school i would say its like split about half and half of whitebelts and blue belts
theres only 1 purple belt and 3-4 brown belts who train regularely at my school and 1 blackbelt.(school owner brownbelt)

Is this normal for schools to have so little higher belts that attend class? I know that bluebelt is one of the belts that people tend to quit on but is it that much of a difference?

So like i said whats the usual make up of your school? What are the make up of your classes? also state whether you live in the city or in the suburbs

When the school I attend opened up, we were a young school. I mean like your school. I was the only one of 2 blue belts. The rest of the school was white.

Now we are purple belts and blue belts, a couple of brown belts and the instructor who is a black belt. We have our white belts too. If you guys stick it out you will advance and grow the school.

The one I go two has only been open about 6 months. Black Belt instructor, a few blue belts that came over when he opened, and a bunch of white belts ranging from brand new to a few guys that trained elsewhere, quit, or w/e, and decided to try this new place out.

I've been training for 5 years now, almost exclusively with the instructor at this school, and I gotta tell you, even with how small we are, watching these new guys come up has been awesome. Much faster progress than me, or anyone else, at the last school I was at. It's nice to see my instructor finally get to run classes his way, rather than under the watchful eye of another owner.

Edit: There's also a Judo program at this facility that is well established in the area, so we have picked up a few guys from that, as well. Brown and black belt judoka that wear a white belt in JJ. It's been great fun learning to roll with those guys, too. They do everything just a bit different than we do, so its made things interesting.

15-20 white belts
10 Blue Belts
4 Purple
1 Brown (Owner/Instructor)

30-50 white
20-30 blue
15-20 purple
12 brown
7 black

Everyone seems to be taking the summer off here, lol...

Last night
2 whites
1 Blue
1 Black - The instructor

In class 2 nights ago here is what we had

2 Whites
1 Blue
1 Purple
1 Black - the instructor

It was like having privates. Our instructor said lets roll all night, no technique drills since classes was so small. Our instructor rolls with us all the time too. I feel sorry for the guys that come on here and says their BB's don't roll much with the students.

30-40 white
20 or so blue
10 or so purple
7 or so brown
5 or so black

That's just one of three of his locations, though.

The open mat I go to seems to center around purples, with many browns and some blacks as well. Many blues but sometimes only a handful of whites show up.

Pretty perfect mix for me. Maybe it's like 10-30-30-20-10 % from white to black.

1-2 browns, 1-2 purples, 4-8 blues, 4-8 whites.

For suburb in Wisconsin , probably about average.

I don't think it has to do with location.
It has to do with how long the school been open and how good his instructor is at retaining customers.
I know some schools that open 15 years and he pissed off everyone. You would think he opened 6 months ago.

• 1 Black
  • 4 Brown
  • 7-8 Purple
  • 12 Blue
  • Bunch of White

my school is really big. i really dont know how many to be exact. prob 9 blacks, 10 browns, so many purples prob like 25+, 30+ blues, 25+ whites.

thats just the ppl i see that train regularly as i switch up my sched, sometimes morn/afternoon/night. if you dont you can go years without seeing certain ppl and just come in and be like who are all these blues/purps/browns?? lol

i know my club has something like 400 members but i cant verify how many train regularly or how many train kickboxing exclusively or w/e. On any given night the composition can change so its hard to say. seems more high belts (and ppl in general) on weekends/nights. way less ppl in the morn and a decent mix in the afternoon

I live in the suburbs

Yes, most people quit at blue belt so that's why you see much more white belts compared to others. As the ranks go up the numbers diminish. I've been to a few bjj gyms and they consist of mostly whites followed by a few blue and maybe something higher.

I've been to ones where its only whites and blues and taught by a purple/brown belt.

My Judo school is pretty small.

2 Black (Both instructors)
3 Brown
3 Green
1/2 Orange
3/4 Yellow
5/6 White

On an average night.
We have 2 bb: 1 degree and no degree bb.
2 blue Belts.
8 white belts.

One black, Three Brown, One Purple, 30ish Blue, 50ish white.

We are a relatively new school at 2 years and among the adults we have approximately 25 white belts, 20 blue, 12 purple, 2 brown and 2 black belts.

bunch of white belts
~12 blue
~9 purple
-5 brown
-2 black

In terms of those who consistently attend:

1 black
3 brown
~8-10 purple
~8-10 blue
~10-15 white

Though we're growing fast. It is crazy when you go to a really big school to see the level...I was at Draculino's in Houston over the weekend for a promotion ceremony and he made 7 new brown belts that day, and had probably 15 more already on the mat. Insane level.

Back