Belt Age Weight equalizers

Your Noodly Master

Selfish and shitty attitude
@Orange
Reaction score
I've always heard that 10 years in age is equal to 1 belt level and every 40 lb is equal to 1 belt level.
Such as a 40yo brown belt is about equal to a 30yo purple belt, or 210lb blue equals a 170lb purple.

Do you find these generalizations to be accurate for most people? I'm trying to find a way to equal out people for a fair Quintet system using various belts.

You've always heard this? How many times is always?

It's accurate enough, I'd use these numbers! Consider that under 30 years old the age difference doesn't work :p

A lot of the ultra heavy guys tends to not be that good.

Real question. I've never heard any of these random variables that you've always heard.

I've heard them too, they're a part of BJJ folklore. If you had a 30 year old 220lbs purple belt against a 60 year old 150lbs black belt, who do you think would win?

Personally I think the comparison is absolutely stupid due to how generalized it is.

I've heard them too, they're a part of BJJ folklore. If you had a 30 year old 220lbs purple belt against a 60 year old 150lbs black belt, who do you think would win?

Was it made up by the same guy that said you need to go at least twice a week to maintain your skills and at least three times a week to improve?

Was it made up by the same guy that said you need to go at least twice a week to maintain your skills and at least three times a week to improve?

Jesus dude how dense are you? It's a rule of thumb for shits and giggles the dude wants to use for what seems to be a random quintet format for casuals, not nuclear physics.

Real question. I've never heard any of these random variables that you've always heard.
Then the answer is 4. 4 times = always. 3 = sometimes. 2 = occasionally. 1 = the number of dickheads who ask questions like that.

Meh. As a 230 lb 38 yo purple belt I'm not sure that I'm equivalent to a 190 lb 28 yo brown belt.

But that won't stop me from trying to leg lock him.

Doesn't work well I think, because at least in europe not rarerly there are former wrestlers, some of them had just a bit not enough points for National team in adults.
Yes, not a champs but imagine for example former some 5 th - 20 th wrestler in his weight class in a large or medium size country?
If there is a guy that had competed in wrestling 14-18 or even 13- 20 - 23 and later switched to another art, for example BJJ....
Plus wrestlers that are learning BJJ with intent use BJJ+wrestling in MMA, pretty popular combo.

Last edited:
Jesus dude how dense are you? It's a rule of thumb for shits and giggles the dude wants to use for what seems to be a random quintet format for casuals, not nuclear physics.

Then the answer is 4. 4 times = always. 3 = sometimes. 2 = occasionally. 1 = the number of dickheads who ask questions like that.

I want to fight both of you, but I keep getting confused on whether I'm going to win or not.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, I do believe those observations are more true than not.

It also depends on the school where the senior belt trains. Larger schools with multiple traininf partners with different bodytypes/games/weights allow for the senior guys to get used to different styles.

If you had been sparring with blue/purples who outweigh you by 30 lbs then a noob that outweighs you by 30 lbs is pretty easy to deal with.

If you are the senior belt and you have ever trained with someone who is 30 lbs heavier than you then its gonna be a shock.

Last edited:
Doesn't work well I think, because at least in europe not rarerly there are former wrestlers, some of them had just a bit not enough points for National team in adults.
Yes, not a champs but imagine for example former some 5 th - 20 th wrestler in his weight class in a large or medium size country?
If there is a guy that had competed in wrestling 14-18 or even 13- 20 - 23 and later switched to another art, for example BJJ....
Plus wrestlers that are learning BJJ with intent use BJJ+wrestling in MMA, pretty popular combo.

There are alot of wrestlers in europe? Which countries?

Back