BellatorMMA breathing life into UFC's yesteryear stars?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by [insert_name_here], May 18, 2014.

1. [insert_name_here]

[insert_name_here] Better than the best, Ooh Yeah!

Say what you want, Bellator is headed in the right direction... By using established names to promote cards featuring talent like Chandler, Brooks, Newton, etc. They peeked my interest! We are talking less expensive PPV's, a chance to relive the glory days of MMA, and a forum for legitimate new talent.

Every knock against tonight's card shouldn't count against the brand.*
    You are gonna tell me in the UFC, Tito wasn't beating glorified middleweights during his protected reign?*

so maybe Rampage didn't win that fight? - in his hometown, going to decision, what do you expect? Scripted or not, I'm ready for a rematch

Let me ask you this... You would rather see our heroes like Chuck Liddell be fed to the elite? I've said time after time again, we need a senior circuit. A place where champs of yesteryear can either compete against each other or a crop of B level fighters.*

I would much rather see guys like Chuck end up in organizations like Bellator, adding a couple more W's to an accomplished career, than witness the diminishment of their skills by being fed to the divisions elite.*

note: chuck is a company man and I only bring him up as an example... Say what you want, but is was wrong, the way the UFC allowed him to go out...

UFC drop 'em, Bellator pick 'em back up!*

2. ryun253

ryun253 Black Belt

Sounds good, wouldn't mind seeing fighters like Wanderlei, Big Nog in Bellator after their UFC stint.

3. Gorkle

Gorkle Purple Belt

It depends whether or not Bellator wants to become "that league".

I can't imagine they really want to be known as an organisation of washed up former stars pitted up against sub par competition. Sure get a couple here and there, but the same happens in the UFC, just some hang around the top too long.

Also it really runs the risk of ruining a fighters reputation. Shlemenko just gave up a 13 fight win streak to a guy with 9 losses in his last 11 fights. Regardless of the weight class difference, this just looks bad on Bellator that their champions are being beaten by someone who left the UFC as it was clear he no longer had it.

4. rolex

rolex Black Belt

I paid for it, and was happy to do so.

I think overall it was absolutely professional.

5. Level One

Level One Blue Belt

Rampage and Tito, to an extent can still take a punch, the skills have regressed but the hin not so much, that's not the case with Chuck. He actually looked really good against Rich but then his chin gave up on him.

6. MrKilroyT

MrKilroyT Brown Belt

Geriatric MMA. Great idea.

7. WallyBear

WallyBear I am the liquor.

But they still have room for improvements. Better communication for example. I was pretty pissed, when they didn't show the first two prelims, without giving any reasons. The prelims stream just started 45 minutes later, that's unprofessional in my opinion. And all of a sudden, this was the first event where the prelims stream was geo-blocked, for whatever reason.

8. sangreporsangre

sangreporsangre Gold Belt

Ready for a rematch? You actually want to see Page and Mo stink up the arena again?

9. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

i dare you to try and put some Bjorn spin on this to make it sound like he has the best fighters in the world.... i double dare you :icon_chee

but seriously, Page was a great signing. but the idea of Bellator signing the washed up former greats, is not the best model if your goal is to be the top MMA org.

10. MrKilroyT

MrKilroyT Brown Belt

'Reconstructed knees' Page and 'Healthy neck' Tito are easily the 2 best LHWs in the world.

Bones, Gus, and DC ain't shit compared to those 2.

11. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

:icon_chee

12. SynthMMA

SynthMMA Orange Belt

Unfortunately for Liddell fans, this ship has already sailed years ago.

13. ThatBJJGuy

ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

minotauro for bellator champ in 2015 i believe :D lol

14. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Im not sure sacrificing your can crusher MW champ, that you worked hard to build up, to a washed up Tito who probably only has 1 or 2 fights left in him is going to be a long term viable model. Rampage gives them some juice to get eyeballs i guess but its kind of sad watching him at this point.

15. [insert_name_here]

[insert_name_here] Better than the best, Ooh Yeah!

Shlemenko was in a lose/ lose situation. If he won, well, he beat an over the hill sub-par Tito Ortiz. If he losses than there goes his win streak, but I don't think it looked all that bad. The guy has talent, he just got beat by a bleach blond heavyweight.

When Sato got beat by Ortiz in ADCC it hardly derailed his career.*
    Now, Shlemenko is no Rumina, but as long as he doesn't get too distracted, he'll bounce back. What, Beltran couldn't fight Ortiz?

And who wants to see washed up competitors? *It's difficult for an athlete past his prime to hang up his gloves. When your reflexes are gone, your timing is shot. No one wants to see guys like Coleman, Kerr, Shamrock come back for a paycheck, but guys like Kongo, Mo, and Rampage still have a little fight left in 'em and Bellator is the perfect vehicle to complete a career in a fighters twilight.*

Let's be honest, Bellator is never going to take over MMA. The tournament format is passe, and they need to focus on homegrown talent, but it can be a place where guys like Mir, Stann, Griffin can go and compete a few last times.

Note: I realize guys*that I mention took over key roles w/ in the UFC brand and some moved beyond that such as to ESPN.*