Bellator Welterweight GP bracket announced. Your picks?

really like these brackets, and I love that the title will be defended throughout.

Why is Rory in it?

What does he do after fighting Gegard if he isn't in it?

Plenty of fresh and interesting matches for him in the tournament.

I mean i'd rather he fight Askren after Gegard and if he were to beat Askren (not happening) he could then fight the tournament winner.

I dunno if I'd call all of those exactly "fair" matchmaking in the context of a tournament, but they're all really good as far as telling a story. Grudge matches in Lima/Koreshkov, and Daley/MVP, up and comers in Ruth/Gracie and longtime veteran Fitch getting a title shot.

The bracket seems pretty straightforward like most of you have said. Ruth screams dark horse and could ruin it for MacDonald and I'd love to see MVP upset Semtex.

Most likely:
Lima, Daley, Ruth, MacDonald.
Lima, MacDonald
MacDonald

Most fun for me:
Lima, MVP, Ruth, Fitch
Lima, Ruth
Ruth

Upset? I bet he will be the clear cut favorite for the bookies. At least I favor him highly above Semtex.

Upset? I bet he will be the clear cut favorite for the bookies. At least I favor him highly above Semtex.

I guess I'm overrating Semtex then. I figure, for better or worse Semtex is far more proven and has faced far more established fighters than MVP.

I guess I'm overrating Semtex then. I figure, for better or worse Semtex is far more proven and has faced far more established fighters than MVP.

You might be right, but MVP looked untouchable so far and Semtex only really ever shined against pure standup fighters - moreover I think he is mentally weak. Don't be suprised to see Semtex get taken down and pounded out.

But why? What has Semtex done? The only impressive win was Larkin IMO. The rest of his losses he looked like a fish out of the water.
I don't know much about MVP's wrestling skills, and his chin has been largely untested in MMA. If Daley gets the better of MVP in the striking then I don't know how MVP can win.

I don't know much about MVP's wrestling skills, and his chin has been largely untested in MMA. If Daley gets the better of MVP in the striking then I don't know how MVP can win.

As you have said MVP's chin has never been even found by his opponents. Why do you think Semtex will find it?! Semtex is a wild slugger with granite fists - that's it.

As you have said MVP's chin has never been even found by his opponents. Why do you think Semtex will find it?! Semtex is a wild slugger with granite fists - that's it.
Well I picked MVP to win, so I don't actually think MVP will lose, but Daley is probably the best fighter he's fought so far. MVP should be able to win with superior footwork and his long reach, but Daley could pressure him well and land a big shot.

I think Ruth and Amasov will do something different to this tournament .

Am I the only one who thinks its absolute BS that this isn't a tournament belt, and a guy who's fighting a 5 round battle with the champ of a higher weight class is THEN EXPECTED to defend his belt multiple times in a tournament immediately after?

This was probably the biggest tournament in Bellator history.

Am I the only one who thinks its absolute BS that this isn't a tournament belt, and a guy who's fighting a 5 round battle with the champ of a higher weight class is THEN EXPECTED to defend his belt multiple times in a tournament immediately after?
I was thinking the same thing.

the initial idea of giving rory a buy and it being a new belt was way better to me.
A champ in the tournament means he will fight a 5 rounder, and the contenders only have a 3 round fight is not fair.

Well I picked MVP to win, so I don't actually think MVP will lose, but Daley is probably the best fighter he's fought so far. MVP should be able to win with superior footwork and his long reach, but Daley could pressure him well and land a big shot.

Sure, he could, but MVP also got his kicks which Semtex never uses. But just our talk shows how interesting that matchup is!

Sure, he could, but MVP also got his kicks which Semtex never uses. But just our talk shows how interesting that matchup is!
let's just hope the fight actually happens

Back