Rumored Bellator tried to screw over Eddie Alvarez

careto

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Im surprised this has flown under the radar. Bellator offered Patricky to help him prepare for his Eddie Alvarez fight because it was Eddie's last fight and he was bolting.

For context, the fight happened in 2012 under the Bjorn era.

That's it? Are we expecting fight promotions to have high morals?

Thinking more about this and with Bjorn's reputation as a sleazy and underhanded lawyer, I gotta say this is probably not the worst they had planned for Eddie

Last edited:
I'm honestly not that offended by that. No org wants a fighter to jump ship while on top of one of their divisions. The fact that, that KO earned him a title fight and he left the organization as a belt holder is a massive and hilarious backfire.

Last edited:

Im surprised this has flown under the radar. Bellator offered Patricky to help him prepare for his Eddie Alvarez fight because it was Eddie's last fight and he was bolting.

For context, the fight happened in 2012 under the Bjorn era.

Seems a bit unethical, but that's what the industry's like all over. It seems much more unethical to actually be spying on your opponent's preparation though lol.

But this kind of thing isn't unique to any single promotion or promoter, wasn't the president of the UFC (bald guy, I forget his name) personally present in camp and sparring with Chuck Liddell as he prepared for Tito?

People tend to forget how dirty of a promoter Bjorn actually was, you only ever hear stories like this about him

This.

Let's not forget Attila Vegh, who was the LHW champion at the time, not being booked for a fight because of a phantom injury that he himself wasn't aware of.

All so Bjorn can do everything possible to put the title on King Mo. Except Emmanuel Newton still played spoiler with a hilarious spinning backfist KO.

Nobody ever said Bjorn was a great guy.

Putting Bjorn as the figure head for Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association was one of biggest mistakes ever. Once those fighters caught wind of Bjorn being involved and his history they ran from it as quick as they could.

To be fair though, we look at MMA from a fans standpoint and someone like Bjorn its all about business and business can get dirty at times.

Nobody ever said Bjorn was a great guy.

Putting Bjorn as the figure head for Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association was one of biggest mistakes ever. Once those fighters caught wind of Bjorn being involved and his history they ran from it as quick as they could.

To be fair though, we look at MMA from a fans standpoint and someone like Bjorn its all about business and business can get dirty at times.

I'll always remember Bjorn for that promo vid that turned out to be self-aggrandizement

<{hughesimpress}>

Lol Eddie would've beat the shit out of Patricky.

Lol Eddie would've beat the shit out of Patricky.
Would have? It was an epic 1 rounder.

Was an epic card that featured the Bellator debuts of Magomedrasul Khasbulaev, Shahbulat Shamhalaev, and a beatdown of the century performance by Chad Laprise.

Bjorn era of Bellator was legendary. I really regret not going to Windsor to see this live.

edit: Holy shit. Rad Martinez is only 34 years old today. Why the hell did he stop fighting?

Would have? It was an epic 1 rounder.

Was an epic card that featured the Bellator debuts of Magomedrasul Khasbulaev, Shahbulat Shamhalaev, and a beatdown of the century performance by Chad Laprise.

Bjorn era of Bellator was legendary. I really regret not going to Windsor to see this live.

edit: Holy shit. Rad Martinez is only 34 years old today. Why the hell did he stop fighting?

There were definitely highs and lows of Bjorn era, at end of the day the promotion was stalled out because agents didn't want there fighters signing. Coker has his issues but one thing you never hear is fighters having any complaints dealing with him

Not a surprise, I kind of would expect any MMA promotion to do this sort of thing when they know a fighter is leaving their org. I don't think the UFC payed for Maia's camp when he fought Northcutt but they certainly set that fight up so Northcutt would lose his last fight in the UFC.

how horrible. thank god his with One fc now. organization with crystal clear reputation that never been involved in any shady practices.

Bjorn was the CEO of Bellator in 2013. He also would not allow Eddie to leave the Org.

When Coker came in to take over he could've held Eddie just as Bjorn did but Coker allowed Eddie to leave and pursue a championship with the UFC.

So for any of you believing Coker is still running Bellator the same way as it was under Bjorn you're wrong.

Whatever happened behind the scenes sucks, but Bjorn era bellator was must see tv. It's hard to say that these days.

Back