Bellator Roster is Looking Good

Dunno what the source of info that Sidelnikov is signed but during broadcast of the event where Viktor Nemkov's last fight happened commentators anounced that he (Viktor) is signed with Bellator.

That would be a nice addition to the Bellator roster!

Last edited:
I am not much of a fan of the FLW division or WMMA either. I also like less weight classes so talent is not cut so thin. I think the rules would be better with 20 lbs between each division like the division between MW and LHW. I would like to see:

125 & Under: FLW
145: FW
165: LW
185: MW
205: LHW
265: HW
Above 265: Super HW

It's not your place to ignore the Bellator champions just because you don't like WMMA, fact is they have a women's champion at Featherweight & Flyweight, even if you don't like it, this should be on your list, they both have headlined shows that did bigger ratings than some of the men's cards.

Fernando Gonzales and Brennan Ward deserve mentions in the WW section.

It almost rivals UFC's WW roster.

Those are two other solid WWs.

I agree, the WW division is solid. It is a good time for the GP they are having.

It's not your place to ignore the Bellator champions just because you don't like WMMA, fact is they have a women's champion at Featherweight & Flyweight, even if you don't like it, this should be on your list, they both have headlined shows that did bigger ratings than some of the men's cards.

We are not ignoring WMMA. This thread was mainly to show the highlights. The women could be added, I agree.

Last edited:
Good thread, TS. The hard work in pulling together that list is appreciated by this Sherbro and probably many others.

The major problem for Bellator, in my mind, is the difficulty they have experienced under Coker in building any indigenous stars - in other words, not UFC castoffs (some of whom are still very good, of course, and Rory might be the best current WW on the planet given how easily he handled Woodley). That remains their Achilles heel in terms of making hardcores excited for their cards, generating buzz that will attract casuals, and building a sustainable future. Bjorn was actually more successful at that aspect of the business due to his tournament format.

Coker has invested in a lot of young talent. The next 12-24 months are critical to see if several of them emerge as must-see TV in the MMA space.

LOL at ‘not your place’. If the guy doesn’t want to include something on his fucking list he doesn’t need your permission.

Good thread, TS. The hard work in pulling together that list is appreciated by this Sherbro and probably many others.

The major problem for Bellator, in my mind, is the difficulty they have experienced under Coker in building any indigenous stars - in other words, not UFC castoffs (some of whom are still very good, of course, and Rory might be the best current WW on the planet given how easily he handled Woodley). That remains their Achilles heel in terms of making hardcores excited for their cards, generating buzz that will attract casuals, and building a sustainable future. Bjorn was actually more successful at that aspect of the business due to his tournament format.

Coker has invested in a lot of young talent. The next 12-24 months are critical to see if several of them emerge as must-see TV in the MMA space.

Thanks man. It was actually put together by a fellow poster over at Global-MMA. We do monthly rankings there as well focusing only on outside UFC fighters. Below are the September rankings:

http://global-mma.forumotion.com/t15138-global-mma-rankings-september-2018

Fernando Gonzales and Brennan Ward deserve mentions in the WW section.

It almost rivals UFC's WW roster.
Gonzales was released after he failed to make weight like twice in a row or something.

Unless you mean the other Fernando Gonzalez, who recently lost. I guess that guy could get a mention in the prospect part, even if his ceiling is really low.

Gonzales was released after he failed to make weight like twice in a row or something.

Unless you mean the other Fernando Gonzalez, who recently lost. I guess that guy could get a mention in the prospect part, even if his ceiling is really low.

Yeah, Gonzalez lost 2 straight, as did Ward. Ward lost 3 of his last 4.

Great list.

Galore Bofando is another one just signed that I think could make waves.

its a huge improvement from 1-2 yrs ago, hopefully they can continue to build the roster. the strength they should focus on is the young guys, eventually they won't have to steal the UFCs best guys if they can develop the best guys. UFC will always have the brand recognition though so the temptation will be for the younger bellator guys to go there even if it becomes a situation where the best fighters are in bellator down the road

its a huge improvement from 1-2 yrs ago, hopefully they can continue to build the roster. the strength they should focus on is the young guys, eventually they won't have to steal the UFCs best guys if they can develop the best guys. UFC will always have the brand recognition though so the temptation will be for the younger bellator guys to go there even if it becomes a situation where the best fighters are in bellator down the road

Yeah, it is important for them to build their prospects. I expect they will. GPs are good for that when prospects are included.

I wonder if CC will at least do that 1 fight for bellator or not.

As someone who has watched the Rebney and Coker eras of Bellator, coker’s Overall roster looks much better than Rebney’s. Of course a solid roster comes with time and more commitment (from Viacom), but the roster really is looking nice from a pure sport standpoint.

They do seem to be signing more and more, so I hope they do well and become a viable company. Takes a ton of investment to create a successful org

Bellator has a solid roster. The problem they have is two fold.

1.) Coker: The guy just can't get any momentum going with his rosters. He is very event focused with little thought to long term. Many match ups are just squash match ups or match ups that lead to nothing(just put on for the sake of the event). I believe this makes it hard for many fringe fans to follow or bring in new fans.

2.) Promotion: I know hardcore UFC fans that literally don't even now when most Bellator events are taking place and it was the same with Strikeforce. At some point Viacom/Paramount/Bellator have to spend money on pushing the product in the faces of the general public. Right now it seems like they are taking the build it they will come approach or any advertising I seen is being spent on sites like this(well that fan base probably is already tuning in). A simple name change in channels literally dropped the avg. rating by 200K give or take. I think also moving to DAZN is great financially for Bellator but I think it will further alienate the avg joe MMA fan from tuning in. Which also could have a negative effect on the Paramount ratings for Bellator.

All I know is Bellator has made it through that tricky time period for orgs when they are growing(taking on better fighter contracts) and landed a good paying deal with DAZN. Many orgs fail before they get that payout from hemorrhaging to much money. These next three years will be very interesting to see how this all turns out. At least for the first time in a long time you can honestly say fighters have another viable option to help them leverage their worth and not just for the named guys. I just hope between Viacom/Paramount/Dazn and Coker they can cement the org long term on a big stage. Because I don't know what it will take for these fighters to ever come together and form an associating/union. So with two orgs with some money they'll at least help themselves short term.

i feel like this is the problem with even the ufc. there is so much mma, that it takes a special type of fighter to get casuals truly interested. if it were easy to build a star, ufc wouldn't be sucking conor's dick to come back.

to be a super star, you need the skills, as well as the look and personality. interesting how that works.

Bellator has a couple of fighters who could come out as solid draws for them. i feel like Pico, mvp, and Gallagher are a couple of them. Pico has the skill, but doesn't have the personality IMO. Gallagher leeches off of conor's hype, so he has a leg up. he can be a draw for bellator if he keeps winning, but the problem is that i just don't see him as being skilled enough to win at the elite level. I feel that he will fall flat anytime he stops fighting jobbers and attempts to climb the ranks.

Last edited:
Bellator has a solid roster. The problem they have is two fold.

1.) Coker: The guy just can't get any momentum going with his rosters. He is very event focused with little thought to long term. Many match ups are just squash match ups or match ups that lead to nothing(just put on for the sake of the event). I believe this makes it hard for many fringe fans to follow or bring in new fans.

2.) Promotion: I know hardcore UFC fans that literally don't even now when most Bellator events are taking place and it was the same with Strikeforce. At some point Viacom/Paramount/Bellator have to spend money on pushing the product in the faces of the general public. Right now it seems like they are taking the build it they will come approach or any advertising I seen is being spent on sites like this(well that fan base probably is already tuning in). A simple name change in channels literally dropped the avg. rating by 200K give or take. I think also moving to DAZN is great financially for Bellator but I think it will further alienate the avg joe MMA fan from tuning in. Which also could have a negative effect on the Paramount ratings for Bellator.

All I know is Bellator has made it through that tricky time period for orgs when they are growing(taking on better fighter contracts) and landed a good paying deal with DAZN. Many orgs fail before they get that payout from hemorrhaging to much money. These next three years will be very interesting to see how this all turns out. At least for the first time in a long time you can honestly say fighters have another viable option to help them leverage their worth and not just for the named guys. I just hope between Viacom/Paramount/Dazn and Coker they can cement the org long term on a big stage. Because I don't know what it will take for these fighters to ever come together and form an associating/union. So with two orgs with some money they'll at least help themselves short term.
This was astonishing to me. bellator's ratings were sagging a bit before the rebranding, but they were still avging aroundj 600+ an event. the moment they switched to paramount, they started getting in the 400 range. such a huge misidentification of their target market.

to be fair though, UFC has been getting sagging ratings for their fightnights. last one did 560 iirc, but what im getting at is the fact that ratings for bellator seemed to have jumped of a cliff since the rebranding, as you said, a solid 200k dip.

The dazn deal really helped bellator.

Dunno what the source of info that Sidelnikov is signed but during broadcast of the event where Viktor Nemkov's last fight happened commentators anounced that he (Viktor) is signed with Bellator.

The entire Fedor team was signed to bellator when fedor signed.Sidelnikov and the eldest nemkov are only ones yet to debut in bellator.

Back