Bellator PPV seems to be a big business mistake.

14 fights on the card is definitly way too many.

Have your 5 PPV, your 4 spike tv, ad then 2 spike.com fights is more than enough.

Tooth and Nail said:
I think this ppv is also Viacom deciding whether or not Bellator will ever be profitable, and worth keeping around.

I think that's why the event is so stacked, despite that being a bad idea for business over the next few months.

Basically if Bellator can't draw profit with THIS stacked ppv, it's evidence the market is too saturated and won't ever draw.

I don't see that a TV channel wants to judge how well a TV show will do on that TV channel by having a PPV. I think the Alvarez angle makes more sense. Or they just want to see if they can make money from a pay-per-view.

Would it be possible that PPV is done so that in the future they can use their matching right? Eddie say UFC offer PPV but Bellator can't, now they do one PPV so they can claim they have matched UFC PPV in future dispute with fighter who wants out.

When people talk about descent fights to watch on this card, I don't see why Newton vs Mo is one of them.

Is it the trash talk, or maybe the hype, if you could call it that coming into the bout?

It was an upset and Mo should win handedly, so what is all the fuss about this being a descent fight?

I don't see that a TV channel wants to judge how well a TV show will do on that TV channel by having a PPV. I think the Alvarez angle makes more sense. Or they just want to see if they can make money from a pay-per-view.

Then you're stupid because Alvares has 1 or 2 BFC fights left before he is released with no mathicng clause. You think Viacom would let BFC water down all the TV events for a PPV if the PPV did not interest them? It's not about a TV show, it's about the brand, and if the brand will succeed.

Then you're stupid because Alvares has 1 or 2 BFC fights left before he is released with no matching clause. You think Viacom would let BFC water down all the TV events for a PPV if the PPV did not interest them? It's not about a TV show, it's about the brand, and if the brand will succeed.

There are plenty of sports brands that succeed without pay-per-view. Bellator can succeed without it. Best you can hope for is that their TV product on Spike is not making money and they need to supplement it with a successful pay-per-view. But it is also possible they are making money on the TV product and want to make extra money from a pay-per-view.

I don't know anything about the Alvarez situation to know who is right about whether his contract requires a pay-per-view or not.

Would it be possible that PPV is done so that in the future they can use their matching right? Eddie say UFC offer PPV but Bellator can't, now they do one PPV so they can claim they have matched UFC PPV in future dispute with fighter who wants out.

You might be on to something here, it could be that they do a PPV with loss just to avoid legal disputes later on.

You might be on to something here, it could be that they do a PPV with loss just to avoid legal disputes later on.
that just means the competitor(Ufc conceivably) needs to word the contract with verbiage that Bellator cannot match. Whether UFC will do that is debatable and to be seen. If Eddie would have waited out the matching period, he could have been in UFC by now. That's on Eddie and his team for taking that risk

that just means the competitor(Ufc conceivably) needs to word the contract with verbiage that Bellator cannot match. Whether UFC will do that is debatable and to be seen. If Eddie would have waited out the matching period, he could have been in UFC by now. That's on Eddie and his team for taking that risk

if the PPV is a failure, how do they prove they're matching the contract? aren't they proving exactly the opposite?

Well when you look at where Spike is coming from you can see why they want to be in the PPV business also. They where paying UFC 30 million a year while watching the UFC piggy back that viewership into hundreds of millions of dollars a year in PPV buys year after year and reaping the full rewards of that.

I think there seeing just what they can do with a PPV. People at the top always have big egos and believe they can do anything. I won't be shocked if they honestly felt like they could pull a good 100K in buys. When in reality they'll have a hard time breaking 50K and too boot you got one the most looked forward to PPV's in a long time from the UFC right after it. Pretty easy to know where people will spend their money.

if the PPV is a failure, how do they prove they're matching the contract? aren't they proving exactly the opposite?

Well yes, but also who knows how long Bellator will be around and during that time how many guys are really worth giving PPV buys to?

Chandler and Curran both signed some pretty long contracts like 8 fights or something like that. So there tied up for a good 3 years unless they got some out clause in it. Outside of that I don't really see anyone they'd be interested in now or in the next year or so.

Askren I think they'll just have him wait out his year. So he can sign in the summer of 2014. Unless Askren can get something in writing by Bellator saying we won't match these type of terms or whatever. Otherwise if the UFC offers him a contract they might just do the same thing they did to Eddie. File a lawsuit and wait it out till the fighter can't wait anymore.

Back