Bellator PPV - Are the numbers in?

BisexualMMA

Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!
@Titanium
Reaction score
How did this thing do? Anyone know?

Was it the embarrassment so many predicted?

Or did they outperform Brock and GSP?

I believe Da Bombers stated 400k buys at the very least. Easily.

Dave Meltzer says he's hearing in the range of 50-65K, closer to the high end but we're probably a couple weeks away from a definitive number.

Dave tends to overshoot on original projections so that's a little concerning. I thought they'd do low end 100K so 50-65K is a disappointment of sorts.

Bjorn will probably take the heat if it's a low seller. The reality is Bellator was a year away from PPV to begin with and a lot of circumstances (some they can control, some they can't) cut them at the knees.

A year away from PPV? That's pretty generous. Very generous.

Dave Meltzer says he's hearing in the range of 50-65K, closer to the high end but we're probably a couple weeks away from a definitive number.

If it did that, i'm fairly happy for them. Their Spike TV brethren TNA has the weekly viewer numbers Bellator covets and their PPV's do as low as 5K. I think 40K was their most successful several years ago. I'm sure they didn't break even(i heard 75K was the mark a few weeks ago) Spike might be happy with those numbers considering the hit the PPV took a week out and might give them confidence down the road with more build up and less bad juju.

Bellator huggers are saying 300-400k easy with no chance for it to be less.

Rational people say 50-150 .. probably closer to 50-100.

There is no conclusive source, and with the low numbers I don't think there will be.

So they might have made about a million or so after the ppv carriers take there cut?

Wouldn't be too bad if they haven't been trying to out pay the UFC... with Rampage, Tito, Chandler and Mo unless the gate was amazing they might not have lost that much money.

So they might have made about a million or so after the ppv carriers take there cut?

Wouldn't be too bad if they haven't been trying to out pay the UFC... with Rampage, Tito, Chandler and Mo unless the gate was amazing they might not have lost that much money.

If we say 60,000 people bought the PPV at $45, that's $2.7 million gross revenue from the PPV. The PPV carriers get their half, so that Bellator is left with $1.35 million. Take 10% off, or so, for taxes and that leaves them with about $1.22 million net revenue. Also need to subtract the costs for actually running the show, fighter pay, and bonuses.

Bjorn refused to comment on the live gate and paid attendance when directly asked by SBN's Luke Thomas. If they had a nice gate, Bjorn would have released the numbers. That means Bellator didn't do well on that front for this show.

Whether Bellator makes or loses money on this show doesn't really matter. Either way, Bellator is still a television property owned by Viacom. Bellator's losses are penny change to their parent company. If the PPV failed, business-wise, they don't do another (unless Eddie Alvarez is contractually obligated).

(unless Eddie Alvarez is contractually obligated)

Just to note, Eddie mentioned (I think either on the MMA hour or in an interview around then) that his next fight does have to be on PPV. Whether that's actually true or not remains to be seen, but he was asked and said that it was already announced that it would be so regardless of their numbers Bellator probably has to do another PPV.

Just to note, Eddie mentioned (I think either on the MMA hour or in an interview around then) that his next fight does have to be on PPV. Whether that's actually true or not remains to be seen, but he was asked and said that it was already announced that it would be so regardless of their numbers Bellator probably has to do another PPV.

Or let Eddie walk.

Indeed. After everything they did to try and keep him, though, I don't see them doing that unless their numbers fell way short of the break even mark.

Well I think they thought their odds of Eddie winning both was low. Now .. he fights Brooks, much greater chance to win. If he does and leaves it completely destroys the credibility of that entire division. If they let Eddie walk they can spin it.

Can't trust want his lame reports, Dave is always guessing wrong

I don't know why people continue to bring up the attendance/gate. Bjorn probably doesn't even know. Better to ask the arena. It was confirmed that (like most Bellator events) they received a site fee from the Landers Center.

They never talk about their gate/attendance. They sold out Mohegan for Bellator 110 (around 10,000) and didn't mention it. Because they received a site fee and the gate goes to the arena.

50k was my estimate and I thought I was being somewhat generous.

All things considered, I think if the number holds, then I'd consider it a success. Bellator being a clear number two making its PPV debut after losing its main event made it hard to see them making any real noise at this point.

Back