Bellator Moving to Thursday Nights

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Bubba32, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Bubba32 Purple Belt

What do you think?

qw3rty likes this.
  2. immyaxl White Belt

Not competing with the UFC on the same day is always the way to go. Anyone who watches Bellator is probably going to watch UFC as well. Good idea to not make them choose.

Gmork, RabbitPunch36, AGEZ909 and 5 others like this.
  3. qw3rty PM me for free filler-room uppercuts

TBH I'd just put events when UFC is not on, fridays or saturdays.

It's not like they have a card every week so I don't see why they couldn't do it.

AGEZ909 and fifinex like this.
  4. VulcanNervPinch Gold Belt

For viewing, it makes a lot of sense.

Once live national shows are thing again, I don't know that I'd want to go to a show on a Thursday night. I guess you can take Friday off for long weekend once a year.

mime likes this.
  5. newjerseynick I can't stop eating cheese. Yellow Card

They should put bellator cards on Mondays and have Garfield sub in for one of the commentators then eat lasagne and talk about how he hates Mondays when the cards get boring.

6. GueseGuy Brown Belt

For now it doesn’t even matter. With no crowds it’s not like tix sales would be affected. It’s a good opportunity to get some viewers in this weakened fall sports window. I can see them going back to weekends maybe next year or something. But for now Thursday’s make sense.

AGEZ909, MMALOPEZ and Wrestler160 like this.
  7. podsox Gold Belt

it’s not a bad idea but the timing is awful. you start during the nfl football season? thursday night ftball does crazy numbers and will take away views

8. podsox Gold Belt

im surprised they don’t have a card october 24th. khabib fight will get over around 5 in the US. there will be hungry mma fans looking for more fights at night

9. David Street Yellow Belt

Funny UFC fight-pass wanted a show on a day no one puts on fights so Dana White started a show for Tuesday's. Thursdays still a hard day to get new content. Makes sense seeing cannot get auidances these days with Covid restrictions. So might as well do the fights on a week day.

Still though do not see it helping them. On the channel they get new content but for bellator viewers on a weekday.. I like weekends for sports when I have time.

But maybe start a new tradition if they get better matchmaking.

10. richardjohnson Green Belt

So are they just going to Thursday/Friday when they do two cards in one week like this past weekend? And when they just have one card they will have it on Friday? Or will Thursday be their primary day going forward?

11. MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

Gervonta davis vs Leo Santa Cruz card that same night. Viacom/cbs own Bellator and showtime boxing. They are never competing against each other

careto, fifinex and podsox like this.
  12. RainyMonday Orange Belt

Can anyone explain to me how Bellator is still afloat? I like that there is a viable alternative to the UFC out there, but it seems like they've been nothing but an abject failure business wise. And yet they still keep chugging along.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  13. Dreyga2000 Always Rooting for the Black Guy

First off you need to take in account that Bellator is a subsidiary Viacom, a major entertainment company with a lot of money.They have a huge finical backing

Second you to need to realize that Bellator isn’t meant to be a Global Sports Franchise the way UFC is. It exists merely to diversify Viacom’s entertainment portfolio with original sports content. Viacom isn’t prepared to invest the massive resources needed to truly compete with the UFC

Third while Bellator pays select fighters premium salaries, the majority of their roster get paid regional money. There are fighters on Bellator cards making 1,500/1,500 a fight. Sp it isn’t hard for them to get their return on investment

immyaxl, lsa, David Street and 5 others like this.
  14. kimocomplex Silver Belt

i will probably watch Invicta over Bellator tbh

David Street likes this.
  15. SakurabasEar Hype-Train Bum

I have no problem with them moving to thursdays. Just dont ask me to resubscribe to DAZN. Ill just watch paramount

16. mime Black Belt

Remember cbssportsnetwork doesnt report ratings so we may never get ratings again so hard to say from our viewpoint how much this helps

CC27 and skylolow like this.
  17. skylolow Silver Belt

Ariel use to ask Coker questions like this and that dude would just beat around the bush. Truth is, yes, they should just be on certain night 99% of the time and something like Thursday or Friday night would be perfect. Probably Thursday as the target audience on Friday probably has plans.

18. skylolow Silver Belt

Dreyga2000 pretty much nailed it on the head.

To further his point.....Bellator is getting over 30 million a year from Dazn and has been expanding internationally for years now getting more revenue. Rumors have Bellator's revenue has gone from less than 20 million a year to over 60 million and possibly approaching 100 million by end of 2020. A large majority of this being over the last three to four years.

But since this increase in revenue we have seen very little of that money be spent on the product/fighters or branding of Bellator. That alone tells you that Viacom's goal isn't to make Bellator really a competitor or even really a true option for all fighters. Very few fighters can really pit Bellator vs UFC in contract talks so in the end it helps some but doesn't really give much leverage to fighters out there.

Honestly, Bellator I think would be better off being sold to a party willing to grow the product and become more aggressive in growing. If someone else owned Bellator and has increased their revenue to the extent of what Bellator has been able to in the last few years they would've probably put millions if not 10 to 20 million more into fighter acquisitions yearly. Probably would be spending millions yearly on advertising and building the brand.

RainyMonday likes this.
  19. InfinityLens Black Belt

Didn't we used to get ratings from WSOF/PFL?

So are they still withering DAZN or not?

20. SalvadorAllende Interim Belt

I think it's cool despite me having to wake up at 6AM on friday.

BTW... I really miss the friday weekly cards during Bjorn era. I like Coker but that was the best era of Bellator. They have a better roster now but those tournaments were exciting as fuck.

sweetviolenturg likes this.