Bellator might surpass the UFC

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by ferrisjso, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Thenewguysnm1

Thenewguysnm1 Orange Belt

Rory mac Donald got beat up by wonderboy abd left the ufc with his tail between his legs
    Alvarez was champ but came to the ufc and did well but got embarrassed by mcgregor
    Bader is in the HW Grand Prix final and is a ufc reject
    Moussasi got beat up by hall and others
    Chandler got beat by Eddie
    The biggest bellator fights are by those who use to fight but got beat up in the ufc
    The ufc have the better talent

2. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Red Belt

Bellator signs untested prospects.

UFC signs 5-2 guys who say they like Dana's car.

3. RODNEY83

RODNEY83 Orange Belt

Changing the goalposts to fit your lame narrative. Rory MacDonald beat up Tyron Woodley the UFC Welterweight Champion Mousasi beat Hall in a rematch, Alvarez vs Chandler are 1-1 against each other, Alexander Volkov is 4-1 in the UFC and got beat by Minakov and Tony Johnson and Cheick Kongo in Bellator. Ryan Bader was top 5 light heavyweight in the UFC before coming to Bellator and only a child mindset would call any top 5 MMA fighter a reject. Just stop it with the cheerleading nonsense because it doesn't work. Enjoy the UFC, but stop trying to shame the fighters.

4. Communion

Communion Pitcher on JJ's Tbol team

This is a common misconception. UFC champs can absolutely vacate their titles and jump ship if another org buys out their contract. This is essentially what happened with Askren and ONE. Releasing DJ was the buy out.

This happens all the time in other pro sports. Doesn't happen in MMA because generally speaking no other MMA orgs are willing(unable) to spend millions of dollars on a UFC champ.

5. dog y

dog y The original dog

6. AimedWithV

AimedWithV Wound in the Force

This is NOT a misconception.
    DJ was not a champ when his contract was traded with Askren's. Cejudo was.

Theoretically yes, champ's contract can be bought out.
    UFC just will not sell.

7. Communion

I repeat, DJ was the buyout. Askren was the "retired" champ under contract. Like I said, no one besides the UFC has money to tread in this territory of buying contracts out.

And a fighter can always refuse to fight. That coupled with millions of dollars would possibly coerce the UFC to sell a fighter. But as stated no one's got that kind of juice right now besides the UFC.

8. AimedWithV

Askren example is irrelevant here. He was not a UFC champ and ONE doesn't gave this clause.
    And this was a "buyout", that was a trade whose only purpose was to get rid of DJ so they can dissolve the division, like they SLOWLY do now.

And I repeat, UFC will NOT sell their champions, not for the dollar and not for 6 mil. Plus, no one in right mind would've paid this money for DJ.

The "refusing to fight" champ leads to the GSP position: even though he's not a champ anymore, he cannot switch to other companies until his current (same from championship times) contract is finished.
    Also you can learn more from Couture case.
    Learn some history of UFC/MMA

9. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Better chance of you buying a winning powerball ticket and getting struck by lighting while holding it.

lsa likes this.
  10. GSP_37

GSP_37 Steel Belt

Maybe if Bellator rebranded as "FUC" and the fucktards who order every UFC PPV just because "UFC" get confused and support Bellator.

11. Zach The Maniac

Zach The Maniac Professional Russian

Maybe to the hardcore fans, but I don’t seee casuals ever moving over to Bellator, hell 9/10 casuals think the sport is called “UFC”

RODNEY83 and FrankieNYC like this.
  12. Evangelion

Evangelion Silver Belt

Huh? Ufc signs tons of top prospects

lsa and AimedWithV like this.
  13. lifer26

lifer26 Blue Belt

Not in my lifetime

14. Trojanlegal

Trojanlegal Orange Belt

Financially, Bellator is not even in the same universe as UFC. In 2017, according to Bloody Elbow and John Nash, UFC generated around $700 million in revenue versus $20 million for Bellator. Applying expenses, UFC made a record profit in 2017 while Bellator lost money. 2018 financials are not available. In 2019 and thereafter, the financial gap will increase due to the 1.5 billion ($300 million annual) ESPN deal for the UFC (the $100 million (approximately $33 million annual) DAZN deal will allow Bellator to achieve a small profit in 2019).

15. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

Bellator signs fighters with 0-12 amateur records.

lsa likes this.
  16. AimedWithV

Very lame attempt to save face in the debate. And an infantile one, too.
    So I have proven you wrong about UFC championships and showed irrelevance if your examples, so? You don't have to break a normal.discussion with childish insults...

17. muvand103

muvand103 Blue Belt

Probably not but would be nice if it could compete it would make mma more exciting

18. Hardcore MMA

Hardcore MMA Blue Belt

I think Bellator has the chance to surpass the UFC in Europe, but not in the Americas. Bellator has been focusing big time on signing prospects out of the European organizations, and they put on multiple shows in the UK/Italy every year. From what I’ve seen, the European MMA fans are tired of the UFC coming through once in a blue moon, and when they do, they put in shit cards. Bellator should keep maintntaining ira ground in the US for now, while simultaneously putting a big focus on Europe. I know they already have 2 UK cards in February, one in Newcastle and one in Dublin. Id like to see Bellator do more European cards outside of the UK/Italy. There is a big opportunity there. Russia would be a great place for Bellator to hold a card with guys like Shlmenko and Minakov on it.

tehMoose likes this.
  19. FrankieNYC

FrankieNYC "My balls was hot!" Platinum Member

The focus on non-US markets is a smart move by Bellator.
    Hopefully that continues & becomes profitable

Hardcore MMA and tehMoose like this.
  20. Communion

Had I realized you are 12, I probably wouldn't have engaged you in a conversation.

21. FrankieNYC

I'm not sure exactly the debate, so not taking sides
    but ...
    I don't see anything "12 years old" in his reply.
    You might not agree, but it was not a childish reply.

I don't always agree with @AimedWithV & he can be like a dog gnawing on a bone (lol), but he is pretty articulate in my back/forths.

What exactly is the debate?

AimedWithV likes this.
  22. Communion

"Learn some history of UFC/MMA"

I was fine with his reply until that line in particular.

He is using Argument from Silence because he is using the lack of evidence as confirmation.

"It hasn't happened yet so it will never happen."

He is saying the UFC will never sell their champions to other orgs. I'm saying the only reason this hasn't happened yet is because no other MMA orgs have the money to buy, but evenutally someone will, and it will happen.

He disagrees. He thinks the UFC is more interested in maintaining monopoly than quarterly profits for shareholders.

FrankieNYC likes this.
  23. FrankieNYC

I don't see UFC selling a current champ unless the whole division goes as well.
    Too easy to strip a champ before getting rid of them

24. AimedWithV

Yes, that's what he thinks. Because quaterly profits <<<< constant profits from UFC being a monopoly.

UFC has established itself as an organization with the best fighters in the world in every division they have. There is an unanimous agreement in this.
    They based all their policies and strategies to this and this is exactly why their name is synonymous to MMA today. This is why they get their lucrative and profitable TV deals, because ESPN do not even see other promotions.
    They're doing this by not only locking their champions contractually, but also locking those who retired with belt in their hands, like GSP.
    Eventually all the #1s landed there. With some divisions, like HW, it took time, as Fedor refused to fight in the UFC and eventually found himself in Strikeforce, UFC's last factual rival. But with Fedor losing and SF folding, all Fedor beaters found themselves in the UFC, making a UFC HW champion status undisputed #1.

The monopoly, the complete and utter dominance in MMA world, is worth more than even $6M. How much it's worth? Check the price of their TV deals combined, then add the price of their future deals etc.

You think it's just my theory? Then ask yourself the following questions:
    - Why this "trade" with ONE happened only after Mighty Mouse lost? Why didn't UFC do this earlier, as they were sick and tired of DJ at least one year before his loss to Cejudo. And why didn't they trade Cejudo himself?
    - Then , as I mentioned, learn about Couture and GSP situation, and tell me, why weren't they released? Affliction were throwing money right and left, surely they'd love to buy Couture from UFC just to make the legendary fight with Fedor. Why isn't GSP a free agent, as he hoped to be after being inactive for 4 years?
    - Why Viacom - which, as opposed to your theory, DOES have enough money to buy UFC champions - doesn't give Bellator a chance to acquire them?

Look, there is no shame to have gaps in knowledge. You're obviously new in MMA, probably followed it less than half a year. It's OK, and there is no shame in that. New fans are always welcome, especially if they're adequate and don't throw childish tantrums every time they're proved wrong/clueless.