1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for our live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE NOW, Click Here!

Bellator might surpass the UFC

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by ferrisjso, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM.

1. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Brown Belt

Obviously the UFC's brand advantage is huge. But Bellator is a successful subsidiary of a larger corporation. I do think long term there's a chance, higher than I'd like to admit that the UFC gets Prided and Bellator becomes the sports main promotion. Brand advantages can be broken.

What do you think?

GueseGuy, tehMoose, Vegeta and 2 others like this.
  2. Riot Punch

Riot Punch Yellow Belt

I disagree, maybe if they change the name.

3. Lando

Lando Yellow Card Yellow Card

UFC is gonna be rubbish for the next six months. Good chance for them to get some viewers

Falconkick and NorrinRadd like this.
  4. B ville Famous

B ville Famous Purple Belt

It’s possible. Strikeforce was very close then the UFC bought them.

tehMoose, Vegeta, MuddyFugger and 2 others like this.
  5. Wizzlebiz

Wizzlebiz Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest

Totally possible. Especially if WME stays doing douchey shit.

Bellator can brand as the sport while UFC can brand as male soap opera with real violence.

I pray the Sport version would win over male adults. But for fuck sake im not sure anymore.

6. linch

linch Blue Belt

Bellator just tried to match their new fighter Valerie Loureda against a girl who's 0:12 as an amateur!!
    That's fixing fights right there
    Their idea of developing homegrown talent is this.
    Bush league

7. Wizzlebiz

I dont mind seeing some cans get crushed to build a fighter.

Look at MVP. Crushed cans for a long time. Now I am seriously looking forward to seeing him in the tournament. I dare say I feel due to the long wait it is more anticipated.

tehMoose, Vegeta, ZeroGravity and 4 others like this.
  8. Thenewguysnm1

Thenewguysnm1 Orange Belt

That’s ridiculous
    Ufc is what kids dream about
    Nobody dreams of holding the bellator belt
    All the biggest bellator names are guys who got beat up in the ufc
    Ufc is number 1

9. Wizzlebiz

Every possible troll cliche. Try harder and yet more subtle.

10. linch

linch Blue Belt

There are no easy fights in the UFC.
    A debut in the UFC is tough.
    That's the difference.
    0:12 as an amateur!
    That's illegal. It's a sham

11. Wizzlebiz

You out did the troll before you.... amazing. Lmao

12. koquerelle

koquerelle Silver Belt

I like Bellator, but this is silly. They don’t have the roster and a lot of mma fans just don’t give a fuck about them.

DizzyYeahYeah likes this.
  13. TheBrownRanger

TheBrownRanger Brown Belt

That's the problem. Can crushing for a long time.

Think of all the good fighters we could have seen MVP face in the last 3-4 years. It was all spent on nothing fights. We get it, he can dance around outmatched opponents. MVP vs Daley is better late than never, I suppose. That fight should have happened three years ago.

Imagine Dana put Israel Adesanya against nothing but cans and obvious stylistically favorable match-ups for the next couple of years instead of top fighters

DDx2 likes this.
  14. RODNEY83

RODNEY83 Orange Belt

Clearly the UFC is the number one MMA promotion over Bellator, but here is some information for you. Derrick Lewis beat up Bellator by Tony Johnson, but fought recently for the UFC Heavyweight Title against Daniel Cormier. Curtis Milleneder got beat up in Bellator by Brennan Ward and Fernando Gonzalez, but is undefeated in the UFC. Patricio Pitbull Freire, never fought in the UFC and neither has Michael Chandler. Davi Ramos got beat by David Rickels in Bellator, but is 3-1 in the UFC on a 3 fight winning streak in the UFC. Try again with that lame attempt to try to disparage and to discredit fighters.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:53 PM
  15. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Brown Belt

No doubt rn. Questioning whether or not this changes. The UFC isn't that deeply established, UFC was about to go bankrupt as recently as what 2005 or 2006? How long will that remain the case? How much of a grip does the UFC have? Want to make clear I want the UFC to remain on top, but Bellator ain't going the way of Pride and Strikeforce and will exist for the indefinite future given their ownership. In these last 5 years the gains Bellator's made makes me think in just 10 everything can be reversed. UFC's business model is not very healthy in the long term and is relying on people's brand loyalty when that loyalty is younger than a college student.

I think NFL for example is doomed because all the people who will support it eventually are going to die and the next gen won't be attached enough to support it in spite of the medical risks, regardless of how deeply ingrained it is in the culture. NFL's also been around much longer. There was a time in the roaring 20's where soccer was hugely popular in this country too the biggest and most consistent bias humans have is the one favoring the importance of what is happening at the moment.

16. Throttlehead

Throttlehead Red Belt

There are a lot of really good fighters in other organizations. The UFC has the advantage in name recognition and hype. If the UFC keeps up with the shenanigans on top contenders in divisions not fighting who they should, eventually hardcore fans will be open to other orgs that do it properly.

Even though the UFC has a bigger, stacked roster, they will also try to build up iffy fighters only to make money from the appeal of that fighter, not necessarily because of that fighters talent, instead because of ticket sales. Don King ruined boxing, it can be repeated in UFC if they don't watch it, while other MMA orgs can grow during that time.

17. AimedWithV

AimedWithV Wound in the Force

1. Hardcore fans may switch to Bellator in their entirety, won't matter to UFC at all.
    They're redundant in terms of viewership/money. A drop in a casual sea.

2. These fans will swallow whatever fighters UFC will offer them, since their marketing is much much better than Bellator's.

Sorry, but with all the awfulness of UFC's politics, it reached a de-facto monopoly. And Bellator, even being #2 in the world, is much closer in size to #3 than #1

qw3rty likes this.
  18. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

The deep pockets make it possible. Otherwise no chance. It's all about who pays the prize fighters more.

They'll be pretty happy with whatever belt pays the most. Just gotta pay better long enough to suck up all the talent.

19. AimedWithV

AimedWithV Wound in the Force

Well, Bellator can buy all the Mousasis and Machidas in the world, it won't get them any closer to UFC.

And good luck to them trying to sign McGregor or Lesnar...maybe if they sell their internal organs to Arab Sheikhs...nah, still won't be enough.
    Champions, on the other hand, can't leave UFC even if they want to...

20. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

I guess it's futile in your view.