Bellator just can’t seem to produce Stars like Pride and Strikeforce and WEC

Needs new name . Part of UFCs success and I know a lot don’t believe this ,,Is simply the name . All the American sports have 3 letter acronyms . UFC is easy to remember and just as fans associate basketball with NBA or American football with NFL, fans associate mma with UFC. Bellator just isn’t a good name . PFL sounds better than Bellator . Like wtf is a Bellator ?!

I ask people if they watch MMA and they ask me: "What is that?" I tell them about the UFC and then they know exactly what I am talking about.

Strikeforce gave us Rockhold, Lawler, Woodley, Masvidal, so many huge guys that made waves in the UFC.

Pride gave us everyone man. Werdum, Overeem, Shogun. Everyone from Pride was exciting.

Bellator only gave us Chandler.

MMA in the USA needs more competition!

WSOF is out there but I don’t know any good guys from there.

More competition means more exciting fighters!

I liked the hype that Chandler was coming in with and his performance at the Hooker fight.

I want to see more of that.

They have a name that sounds stupid in english. Bellator?? Bella is a girl's name. Im a fan of the promo but the name sucks

Strikeforce, One, Pride, UFC all sound better. Even Rizin sounds better.

bellator has had some homegrown talent:
hector lombard
eddie alvarez
ben askren
the pitbul brothers
joe warren
pat curran
julia budd

i don't know what the point of your post is
your title is about "stars"
but half of your post is about making waves in UFC and being exciting

the fighters I've named were stars in bellator to differing degrees
one of them even became UFC champ
several of them were very exciting

maybe you just weren't paying attention to bellator??

I'm not sure when Strikeforce or the WEC had "Stars" really.

i guess you could say Rousey of course, Carano/Cyborg. But at the time they weren't really stars, Carano may have been the biggest actually at a point. Outside of those women who was their biggest draw? Nick Diaz, a hardcore fan favorite for a minute. Maybe Jake Shields? Rockhold?

WEC had Faber. Pretty legit but still not a big one because niche hardcore and smaller weight class. Aldo was basically the same thing, lesser star power.

Really all these fighters became stars in the UFC, it was the UFC push hype machine that created more fame and views.

edit: I see your point though. But you forgot Eddie Alvarez who became LW champ...lol

Rousey was a huge star at the time & her popularity is the reason WMMA was brought to UFC
Cyborg/Carano was the biggest MMA fight of all time at that point in terms of TV ratings and it might still be true until today, I'm not sure
Frank Shamrock and Cung Le were the biggest SF draws aside from that

didn't read all the thread so dont know if it was mention but bellator also had Lombard when Lombard was a killer

Bellator gave us Alvarez who’s apart of a top 5 all time ppv
Eddie’s career before the UFC represents a lot more than just Bellator.

Bellator gave us Lombard, Askren, Brooks, Volkov. I think Chandler is going to lose more often than win against top 7. Hooker was off in that fight.

Yeah, I remember seeing this news! Fun fighter, and He will beat plenty of guys, but I feel like every wrestler beats him down like a Diaz brother.

Paul Daley groundfucked him...........
Need I say more?
How do you think he will fair?
to be fair would you ever tought daley would try to takedown someone
wouldn't be surprised if mvp didn't train wrestling at all for that fight. For exemple Reyes got taken down by Volkan because he didn't expected the takedown from him but when he fought jones he stuffed all his takedown.

Strikeforce gave us Rockhold, Lawler, Woodley, Masvidal, so many huge guys that made waves in the UFC.

Pride gave us everyone man. Werdum, Overeem, Shogun. Everyone from Pride was exciting.

Bellator only gave us Chandler.

MMA in the USA needs more competition!

WSOF is out there but I don’t know any good guys from there.

More competition means more exciting fighters!

I liked the hype that Chandler was coming in with and his performance at the Hooker fight.

I want to see more of that.

it almost like bellator has to make stars out of people the ufc doesnt want.

Bellator had more viewers, lower costs, more events and more homegrown stars under Bjorn than Coker.

Pit bull and Lima would both be top 5 in the ufc. Nemkov probably as well considering how shit the ufc LHW division is right now

It doesn't matter who they produce or not if they have record-low and steadily decreasing viewership

Bellator rarely lets their top talent go to other orgs. How do you know they don't have any stars when you watch only UFC? lol

Bellator gave them only the fighters they don't need anymore

Chandler got murked by FW Pitbull in 1 minute
Volkov lost 2 in a row

etc

They keep their elite fighters in their prime and let them go to the UFC only when they are past prime or they don't need them anymore

Last edited:
Bellator tends to keep the majority of their top fighters and didn’t get folded like Strikeforce which brought all their fighters to UFC to meet your criteria of making it. Using this loose term of stars since some of the guys you mentioned are top fighters but not necessarily stars...Bellator does produce top fighters(though not “stars”) much of the same way SF and PRIDE did..and they can be found on Bellator cards. Not UFC cards because unlike SF and PRIDE..Bellator hasn’t folded to have all their fighters absorbed into UFC and with few exceptions have been able to keep the fighters they want to keep.

The difference I would say is Bellator has tended to aim more for stability at a lower level of sucess. Pride was obviously a massive org and Strikeforce before the take over was also aiming at taking on the UFC directly were as most of the time Bellator has been happier to carry on at a smaller scale.

I would argue LHW recently is the first time Bellator have stuck their necks out a bit more and looked to go toe to toe with the UFC, Nemkov could potentially build up a claim for the #1 LHW spot by the end of the year.

Maybe. We shall see.

why would mvp leave he over protected in bellator and makes top money for there standards.

in the ufc he not even be top 10. you think mvp beats colby or jorge or maia or edwards or usman or chesia.

Difference is SF went for talent the UFC wanted to get, while BT goes for talent the UFC doesn't want to keep. It's settling for 2nd place, like a silent agreement. Their events won't become big that way. Maybe they don't want to after the SF buyout.

Back