Bellator is signing American wrestlers while the UFC is ...... not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortune got murdered by an average UFC Heavyweight today.

There's a huge skill differential between Bellator's cans/journeymen and their top dudes. Very few of those prospects ever make it to Bellator championship level. AJ McKee and Rafael Lovato are some of the few successful Bellator prospects.

can amosav throw a straight punch?

does ruth have idea how to take the back?

I think that's been the basic UFC business style since at least the late 00's, don't invest early in talent but rather have other prompters do it for you or force fighters to build themselves up for years in tiny orgs.

Its a good way to maximise profit because the risk is fairly low, your signing fighters you know have transitioned into MMA reasonably well and indeed that have committed to MMA already needing no "come and get me" money.

Its the main reason the MMA talent pool is weakening in the higher weightclasses IMHO, if the UFC wanted to for example I think they could have raided a ton of kickboxing talent from orgs like Glory and Kunlun but they'd have needed to pay out to do it as was the case with guys like Crocop and Hunt back in the day. Someone like Spong crying out to be signed by them but no interest, probably because he cost too much.
All that effort for the superior reebok shirts&shoes

Just a rundown of the American wrestlers in Bellator:

TyrellFortuneWTT600x375.jpg

Tyrell Fortune
Weight: 265 lbs
Height: 6'2

7-0 in MMA 7-0 in Bellator
5 finishes

Bellator signed him and gave him his 1st MMA fight.
Career Highlights
  • 2014: Team USA Ranking No. 3 at 125 KG

Romero-Cotton-2.jpg

Romero Cotton
Weight: 185lbs
Height: 5'10

3-0 in MMA 3-0 in Bellator
2 finishes

Bellator signed him and gave him his 1st fight.

50-10 (44-3 vs. D2 competition)
3-time All-American
2014 and 2015 national champ
2014 and 2015 MIAA champ

Logan-Storley-and-Brock-Lesnar-750.jpg

Logan Storley

Weight: 170lbs
Height: 5'9

10-0 in MMA 5-0 in Bellator
7 finishes

119-27 as a college competitor

ed-ruth-2012-13-ed67c59250b87bc8.jpeg

Ed Ruth
Weight: 170 lbs
Height: 6'1

8-1 in MMA 7-1 in Bellator

3 time NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Champ in Folk Wrestling
2 time World Wrestling Champ in Freestyle Wrestling

097f2fe854334fdc1c66235a74d6f74e.jpg

Ty-wan Claxton
Weight: 145 lbs
Height: 5'8

5-1 in MMA 5-1 in Bellator

All-American status in Division 2 at the 141-pound weight class
Two time division 1 national qualifier

image_handler.aspx

Joey Davis
Height: 5'11

6-0 in MMA 6-0 in Bellator

Two-time California State champion wrestler, three-time State finalist and two-time national champion in High School.
He was the third undefeated NCAA wrestler over a four-year career ever and the first wrestler in the history of the NCAA Division II to end his entire career undefeated. He finished his career with a 133-0 Division II record.

ec6f0c0ad264aa3ec9470fb8e4ebab0a-original.jpg

Jarod Trice
Weight: a few divisions
Height: 6'0

4-0 in MMA 4-0 in Bellator

3 time All American

Now I remember many many years ago during the early shootings of TUF. I remember Dana White saying after a fight( I can't remember what one) he said, "If you can't get back to your feet then you don't belong here".
Where did that Dana go? Seems for the past few years Dana has hated wrestlers.

When the UFC does get wrestlers, they are normally foreign ones. They pick up foreign wrestlers and then pair them up with someone that doesn't have a wrestling base. That shit pisses me off so much because Americans are very good at wrestling. The UFC needs foreign fighters and most high level ones have a wrestling base so the UFC doesn't have a choice.

How is it that Bellator can sign so many wrestlers without an MMA record and we see they go undefeated or have a great record after a few fights?

Is Bellators scouting better than the UFCs now? Does the UFC feel like they don't have to go scouting for fighters? Does the UFC just not want wrestlers anymore, if they can help it?

I know Bellator has more wrestlers but I posted some that maybe you haven't heard of or that they fight now.

They've been signing a ton of these wrestling prospects since Bubba Jenkins back in 2013 and none of them have panned out yet as top tier fighters. I'm not sure their approach is working and I wonder how much money they have spent on these guys.

Lol so when Fortune and Ruth and all these guys get there what will they be? Don’t be an idiot, don’t be that guy that says everyone sucks and then looks like a retard when they come to UFC and wreck shop. I saw so many idiots talk about Cormier/Romero etc and then when they get to the UFC they change their mind real quick.
Jesus you’re angry. Maybe take a cycle or two off.

Just a rundown of the American wrestlers in Bellator:

TyrellFortuneWTT600x375.jpg

Tyrell Fortune
Weight: 265 lbs
Height: 6'2

7-0 in MMA 7-0 in Bellator
5 finishes

Bellator signed him and gave him his 1st MMA fight.
Career Highlights
  • 2014: Team USA Ranking No. 3 at 125 KG

Romero-Cotton-2.jpg

Romero Cotton
Weight: 185lbs
Height: 5'10

3-0 in MMA 3-0 in Bellator
2 finishes

50-10 (44-3 vs. D2 competition)
3-time All-American
2014 and 2015 national champ
2014 and 2015 MIAA champ

Logan-Storley-and-Brock-Lesnar-750.jpg

Logan Storley

Weight: 170lbs
Height: 5'9

10-0 in MMA 5-0 in Bellator
7 finishes

119-27 as a college competitor

ed-ruth-2012-13-ed67c59250b87bc8.jpeg

Ed Ruth
Height: 6'1

8-1 in MMA 7-1 in Bellator

3 time NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Champ in Folk Wrestling
2 time World Wrestling Champ in Freestyle Wrestling

097f2fe854334fdc1c66235a74d6f74e.jpg

Ty-wan Claxton
Weight: 145 lbs
Height: 5'8

5-1 in MMA 5-1 in Bellator

All-American status in Division 2 at the 141-pound weight class
Two time division 1 national qualifier

image_handler.aspx

Joey Davis
Height: 5'11

6-0 in MMA 6-0 in Bellator

Two-time California State champion wrestler, three-time State finalist and two-time national champion in High School.
He was the third undefeated NCAA wrestler over a four-year career ever and the first wrestler in the history of the NCAA Division II to end his entire career undefeated. He finished his career with a 133-0 Division II record.

ec6f0c0ad264aa3ec9470fb8e4ebab0a-original.jpg

Jarod Trice
Weight: a few divisions
Height: 6'0

4-0 in MMA 4-0 in Bellator

3 time All American

Now I remember many many years ago during the early shootings of TUF. I remember Dana White saying after a fight( I can't remember what one) he said, "If you can't get back to your feet then you don't belong here".
Where did that Dana go? Seems for the past few years Dana has hated wrestlers.

When the UFC does get wrestlers, they are normally foreign ones. They pick up foreign wrestlers and then pair them up with someone that doesn't have a wrestling base. That shit pisses me off so much because Americans are very good at wrestling. The UFC needs foreign fighters and most high level ones have a wrestling base so the UFC doesn't have a choice.

How is it that Bellator can sign so many wrestlers without an MMA record and we see they go undefeated or have a great record after a few fights?

Is Bellators scouting better than the UFCs now? Does the UFC feel like they don't have to go scouting for fighters? Does the UFC just not want wrestlers anymore, if they can help it?

I know Bellator has more wrestlers but I posted some that maybe you haven't heard of or that they fight now.
So true. If Dana had signed more American wrestlers, Khabib would never be champ.

So true. If Dana had signed more American wrestlers, Khabib would never be champ.

But who are these American wrestlers that would beat Khabib? I can't think of any off the top of my head. We talking about Chandler here? Kevin Lee? Iaquin- oh, wait...

LW is just not a wrestler-heavy division to begin with and it's also the deepest division in the sport. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back