Bellator has filed an objection to unsealing their financial details

Yeah competition breeds better mma and options for fighters and reach exposure than 1 company!

On the surface it seems so but I don't believe that really plays out in reality.

If it went to more of a boxing model per say, I think it would turn it into even more of everyone for themselves mentality than we see today in the sport, and this sport is filled with that mentality already. I think fighters might find themselves getting screwed over many more different ways and having very hard times getting matches consistently. Under the current mma landscape fighters know what they are dealing with.

I don't have any problem with the UFC being the only big player in the sport. We see that in most sports and this sport needed that badly 15 years ago to grow to where it is today. The difference is the athletes in those other sports eventually took a stand to get what they wanted/fairness. I think the same thing needs to and will eventually happen in the UFC. I'm pretty sure behind closed doors the UFC brass know that day is coming, it's just the evolution of any sport. If the fighters come together they can come to agreements that solve a lot of what everyone bitches about both as athletes in the sport and the fan base.

On the surface it seems so but I don't believe that really plays out in reality.

If it went to more of a boxing model per say, I think it would turn it into even more of everyone for themselves mentality than we see today in the sport, and this sport is filled with that mentality already. I think fighters might find themselves getting screwed over many more different ways and having very hard times getting matches consistently. Under the current mma landscape fighters know what they are dealing with.

I don't have any problem with the UFC being the only big player in the sport. We see that in most sports and this sport needed that badly 15 years ago to grow to where it is today. The difference is the athletes in those other sports eventually took a stand to get what they wanted/fairness. I think the same thing needs to and will eventually happen in the UFC. I'm pretty sure behind closed doors the UFC brass know that day is coming, it's just the evolution of any sport. If the fighters come together they can come to agreements that solve a lot of what everyone bitches about both as athletes in the sport and the fan base.
It is great for the fans, I dont think its a very good for the fighters given that they are forced to work under whatever the UFC offers or not work. Although, I agree that the best solution would come out of a fighter's union, that is not going to happen. Fighters usually tend to look out for themselves. There will always be a fighter that will fight for less just to be in Dana's good graces or take the opportunity to fight someone in the top 5-10. There are many examples of this, Burns taking a title fight for less money than Masvidal or Chandler taking less money than pretty much everyone in the UFC's top 5.

The idea behind the lawsuit is that the UFC and every MMA promotion is forced via legislation to have better contractual situation for fighters. In other words, to get rid of this one-sided contracts fighters are usually "forced" into. At least this is what Nate Quarry discussed with Big John and Josh Thomson. They are willing to go the whole 9 yards and see what it comes out of the lawsuit but they are also willing to settle out of court if they pass legislation that has better contractual situations for the fighters. I think if the situation for the fighters will improve anytime soon, it will be due to this lawsuit rather than fighters unionizing.

It is great for the fans, I dont think its a very good for the fighters given that they are forced to work under whatever the UFC offers or not work. Although, I agree that the best solution would come out of a fighter's union, that is not going to happen. Fighters usually tend to look out for themselves. There will always be a fighter that will fight for less just to be in Dana's good graces or take the opportunity to fight someone in the top 5-10. There are many examples of this, Burns taking a title fight for less money than Masvidal or Chandler taking less money than pretty much everyone in the UFC's top 5.

The idea behind the lawsuit is that the UFC and every MMA promotion is forced via legislation to have better contractual situation for fighters. In other words, to get rid of this one-sided contracts fighters are usually "forced" into. At least this is what Nate Quarry discussed with Big John and Josh Thomson. They are willing to go the whole 9 yards and see what it comes out of the lawsuit but they are also willing to settle out of court if they pass legislation that has better contractual situations for the fighters. I think if the situation for the fighters will improve anytime soon, it will be due to this lawsuit rather than fighters unionizing.

I think the contracts are just a small part of it. Legislation is not going to dictate pay or even set a standard. The UFC or any org is only going to pay you what they think your worth. Legislation could put time limits or amount of fights one could sign for. They could make the org be more transparent on the business side to the fighter for the event that fight fights on. I'm not sure that would accomplish much as everyone knows the UFC makes good money( ie: the sale proved that, massive increases in media deals,etc). Legislation isn't going to stop the UFC or any org from just dropping something on the fighters with little to no input from the fighters (ie: USADA, Reebok deal).

Real change for individual fighters will only come in a form of an association/union of the fighters. If this current lawsuit or even some form of the Ali act is approved for MMA it's a small win for the fighters and will help on a small level. But it will never get them a bigger piece of the pie or have certain demands pushed upon them.

I think the contracts are just a small part of it. Legislation is not going to dictate pay or even set a standard. The UFC or any org is only going to pay you what they think your worth. Legislation could put time limits or amount of fights one could sign for. They could make the org be more transparent on the business side to the fighter for the event that fight fights on. I'm not sure that would accomplish much as everyone knows the UFC makes good money( ie: the sale proved that, massive increases in media deals,etc). Legislation isn't going to stop the UFC or any org from just dropping something on the fighters with little to no input from the fighters (ie: USADA, Reebok deal).

Real change for individual fighters will only come in a form of an association/union of the fighters. If this current lawsuit or even some form of the Ali act is approved for MMA it's a small win for the fighters and will help on a small level. But it will never get them a bigger piece of the pie or have certain demands pushed upon them.
<PlusJuan>

Nate Quarry’s plan is very shortsighted. If he wanted real change he’d be working on creating a union. The system he is trying to engineer will just feed to lone wolf mentality of fighters and end up making things even more difficult for fighters in the bottom rung of the ladder.​

Last edited:
Back