Bellator had a great debut in to the ppv world

Iraq

Black belt in spinning shit
@White
Reaction score
I mean let's be honest here I enjoyed the fights.
I enjoyed Michael Page showing off his dominating style once again and of course walking out the game of death glasses.
Will Brooks and Chandler had a good fight who was intense and Will Brooks really fought hard to get that victory because Chandler is no joke.
I honestly Thought Rampage won because many people including me thinks that damage should count when it comes to judging fights and I thought King Mo did a great job against a guy who has been knocking fools out left and right.

UFC guys please respect what bellator is putting for us to watch and I know that no organisation can match the cards the ufc are putting on.

Bellator's ppv buyrate should be at 80k, what do you think?

What is are your thoughts and do you agree or disagree?

My thoughts are Worldwide MMA Discussion

My thoughts are this is in the wrong section and I hope Bellator books Tito vs Joe Warren next, so Tito can stay relevant

I mean let's be honest here I enjoyed the fights.

Since you enjoyed it , it doesn't matter about the rest of them ... of us .... the rest ... of us

TWD reference in case you didn't get it

80k would be UFC 1 level of ppv buys or about the same as Affliction 2

80k would be UFC 1 level of ppv buys

Did they get 80k? I heard 50k.

In any case, I though the fights were on par with what I'd expect. Page was good, Chandler/Brooks was good, Rampage/Mo and Tito/Storm weren't so great, but overall it was pretty good.

I do think that going forward they need to take a page from the UFC though, and replay prelim fights in the PPV to fill in the time if there are quick KOs or subs. The time management for the event was shit.

As far as how the fights turned out though, I think the only way it could have gone worse for Bellator is if Mo won the decision. Page's fight was never in doubt, so that was fine. But Tito/Storm totally screwed over their MW division, IMO, and realistically did nothing to promote Tito. Chandler's loss wrecked the rematch everyone wanted to see, and made Chandler look bad doing it. Rampage and Mo were both pretty unimpressive, but at least the guy who did damage won.

So I think it was a decent PPV, but if anything hurt Bellator going forward.

Da Bombers is predicting 400k buys haha.

The fights were enjoyable but every fight was meaningless, the whole PPV is worthless as far as advancement of fighters to "earning" that title shot. So from an enjoyment it was not PPV worthy but I enjoyed it. From the standpoint of what did the PPV do for Bellator it's worthless. 100% worthless.

One of the LOSERS is being pushed into a title fight by Bellator. So the guy who lost his last 2 might get a title shot while the guy who won the interim belt sits out.

One of the LOSERS is being pushed into a title fight by Bellator. So the guy who lost his last 2 might get a title shot while the guy who won the interim belt sits out.

Its like Diaz fans were are right in bizarro Bellator world.

My pre-PPV prediction, based on a formula I use for every show and found at http://mmadraws.blogspot.ca/2014/05/bellator-120-ppv-and-prelims-preview.html , was around 245K but to fair, the only data that I really have for PPV is UFC so to expect Bellator to match that projection when no one has ever had to pay for their product was probably unrealistic. Essentially what my projection was saying is that it would've done that if all the fighters on the show were promoted by UFC.

That said, I think the 80K is realistic and Bellator would be happy with that number. I've heard 70K is the cut-off to whether or not they make money on the show.

Last edited:
great thread.

Bellator should get more love and respect from the fans.

I really enjoyed that PPV a lot. I'd love to get more Bellator shows like that a couple times a year.

great thread.

I really enjoyed that PPV a lot. I'd love to get more Bellator shows like that a couple times a year.

It was the most worthless PPV ever. What fight made the least bit of sense? What fight fit in with Bellator's Title Shots are earned gimmick?

i really tried to like bjork and bellator, but after the post fight interview impersonation of hulk hogan by tito and his pointless rant, i realized why i would never buy a bellator ppv.

seriously, what is wrong with tito? does tito have a functioning brain inside his giant coconut head? i can understand why people may assume tito is mentally slow with his cross eye, but does tito have a bipolar personality disorder?

to make matters worst, frank shamrock should never be allowed to do any live tv interviews. frank has the personality of a door knob and his interview skills were as entertaining as watching paint dry.

it was just an awful low budget production that needs so much more improvement and refinement before it can be seriously taken as a legitimate alternative to other ppv sporting events.

great thread.

even tho they constantly shoot themselves in the foot? which seems like twice a week now.. bjorn completely shitted on brook's win in the press conference talking about how chandler can still get the title shot if Alvarez says so..regardless what he said about brooks beforehand

Did they get 80k? I heard 50k.

That said, I think the 80K is realistic and Bellator would be happy with that number. I've heard 70K is the cut-off to whether or not they make money on the show.

well there is a guy called MMA Supremacy on twitter who is always tweeting out TV ratings/ppv numbers and other gossip. He is very much someone who is talking up Bellator as much as he can (a little anti dana) and he is claiming 65K as the high end number.

even tho they constantly shoot themselves in the foot? which seems like twice a week now.. bjorn completely shitted on brook's win in the press conference talking about how chandler can still get the title shot if Alvarez says so..regardless what he said about brooks beforehand

They do make mistakes.

Like Ariel Helwani said in his podcast on monday, people seem to forget Bellator is 5 years old. Do you remember what the UFC was doing and how it was back then when they were 5 years old?

i really tried to like bjork and bellator, but after the post fight interview impersonation of hulk hogan by tito and his pointless rant, i realized why i would never buy a bellator ppv.

seriously, what is wrong with tito? does tito have a functioning brain inside his giant coconut head? i can understand why people may assume tito is mentally slow with his cross eye, but does tito have a bipolar personality disorder?

to make matters worst, frank shamrock should never be allowed to do any live tv interviews. frank has the personality of a door knob and his interview skills were as entertaining as watching paint dry.

it was just an awful low budget production that needs so much more improvement and refinement before it can be seriously taken as a legitimate alternative to other ppv sporting events.

while i personally had no problem with Tito and his post fight speech (a little corny), I agree with your description about that useless Frank Shamrock. You would think that Bellator/Spike people would have seen him totally stink up the Strikeforce showtime cards, so why they used him for Spike boggles my mind.

They do make mistakes.

Like Ariel Helwani said in his podcast on monday, people seem to forget Bellator is 5 years old. Do you remember what the UFC was doing and how it was back then when they were 5 years old?

By year 3 UFC had broken 300,000 buys on PPV. Unfortunately by year 5 they had been effectively banned from cable PPV and were illegal in most states. That was pretty much the start of the dark years. After struggling for years with regulation SEG sold UFC to Zuffa in 2000.

Zuffa bought an org in a sport that you weren't even allowed to show on TV and it was illegal in most states. Despite the uphill battle Zuffa got the sport legal got it back on cable. By their 5th year they fund a reality show called TUF and buy air time on a tv network that had 0 faith the show would be successful. TUF 1 launches UFC back into the public eye and has effectively turned the UFC into a world wide phenomena.

Bellator had 0 of the same struggles. They came into a market that demanded MMA. They already had the blueprints from Zuffa basically riding the UFC coattails. There were already fighters available. Plus TV networks are looking for MMA programming. Yet they still can't manage to even reach the level of some pre TUF PPVs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back