Bellator Gaining Ground?

dumdum.jpg

I don’t think overpaying for good but boring fighters such as Davis and Bader is smart.

Nor is setting up Rory MacDonald to get humiliatingly big-brothered by Mousasi.

Coker seems like a nice guy but nice guys don’t tend to finish first in the fight promotion business.

I think you miss the point of why they sign these guys.

Sure, part of it is ability. But the bigger part is the name value they carry.

An org like Bellator doesn't have the money to do massive national or global advertising for each event. The easiest and cheapest thing to do is to use that money towards fighters that bring eyes to your product in both viewership and butts in the seats. They become your advertising essentially. Yes, some of them might be over the hill or boring but they all do bring eyes to the product. Unfortunately, by doing this you have to build revenue off of it and the UFC has been very good at letting fighters go that their salary doesn't equal their stardom and turns out many of these fighters just suck money out of the org until the org goes out of business. DAZN deal is helping Bellator more than we'll probably ever know in keeping this going on longer.

Yeah I'm not an MMA fan because I don't watch the post prelims and prelims of B rate MMA shows. <45>

I've been watching MMA since 2006, real MMA, PrideFC. You started watching a few years ago because of Conor McGregor.

If you actually spend your time watching mma prelims then obviously you're not a very successful person and I feel sorry for your pathetic existence soy boy.

& you just confirmed everything I said

Thanks

Good luck with your next name after this one gets banned

& you just confirmed everything I said

Thanks

Good luck with your next name after this one gets banned

You keep bringing up me being banned, that leads me to believe that your worst nightmare is being banned off sherdog and losing your precious post count. If anyone on this site besides a perma virgin like yourself gets banned they literally don't care because sherdog isn't what our life revolves around.

This is sports and in sports usually one form/org/league reigns supreme and anything below fights for the scraps of about 5 percent or so of the market. So if the players in those sports want a voice then they have to form and association to speak as one and negotiate the basics for all.

It is easier to bitch on Twitter for most

Another reason why Bellator will never be better than UFC, is international recognition. No one knows Bellator outside the US. Even in the US many people do not know Bellator. It is known mainly by martial arts fans. Even my Turkish dad who gives zero fucks about combat sports know what UFC is, but Bellator no way.

Another reason why Bellator will never be better than UFC, is international recognition. No one knows Bellator outside the US. Even in the US many people do not know Bellator. It is known mainly by martial arts fans. Even my Turkish dad who gives zero fucks about combat sports know what UFC is, but Bellator no way.

Bellator is really working on being known outside of US

They made great strides in England & have an office there

That is the smartest thing they have done

You are only saying that because thats what you want to believe. Bellator doesn't have real drug testing and had a card headlined but two 50 year olds and Kimbo and DADA 5000. They pay as low as 1000 dollars to some fighters and have them selling their own tickets to be on the card. Its just pure hating to say Bellator is more professional. If the UFC had Royce vs Ken headlining a card they would be ripped apart and called a joke of an org

Well less than a year ago they offered a guy 250/250 to fight...
https://fansided.com/2018/02/07/bellator-contract-surfaces-revealing-250-dollar-fighter-purse/

Coke got caught selling tap water as bottled water in the UK. They still out-sell Pepsi by a long shot though. And Coke vs. Pepsi =/= UFC vs. Bellator.

Coke vs. R.C. Cola is a more accurate comparison to UFC/Bellator (in terms of popularity). (*TV ratings being the one exception where they're closer)

Dana could join ISIS, and UFC would still get better ratings. Sad but true.

Coke got caught selling tap water as bottled water in the UK. They still out-sell Pepsi by a long shot though. And Coke vs. Pepsi =/= UFC vs. Bellator.

Coke vs. R.C. Cola is a more accurate comparison to UFC/Bellator (in terms of popularity). (*TV ratings being the one exception where they're closer)

Dana could join ISIS, and UFC would still get better ratings. Sad but true.

Re: ratings

Bellator did about 1/2 the ratings UFC did in 2018 for US (not exact but in that ballpark)
&
UFC makes at least 7x the amount of money (2019 expected TV rev in US)

Who needs an illegal stream for an organization that used to air their events on their website, then switched to an easy to use, cheap streaming platform?
Because I'm in London where no channel shows them?

Ha ... I love how somebody that gets banned & has to create new names just to come back on Sherdog is discussing how others think SD is important.
If he/she or he-she had any pride they wouldn't be where they are obviously not wanted by staff.

But as usual ... a Double Yellow occurs lol

See you next board name and try & get therapy for your obsession with returning to places that ban you

Ufc 232 did more ppv buys than any Bellator cable card did in views.

Clearly people don't give a shit about Jones positive test

Ufc 232 did more ppv buys than any Bellator cable card did in views.

Clearly people don't give a shit about Jones positive test

We don't know the 232 numbers yet
hopefully this week

No. Not gaining ground at all. Jones is probably a bigger star now than he was before all of this. All Bellator can do, is keep building prospects and survive. TV success isn't an option for them in 2019. They have to do everything they can, and I think they are, to add content to DAZN and hope that it really takes off. That will make them the primary MMA league on the primary combat sports streaming service in the world (if it works out in practice). They also need to do what Strikeforce did and make you wonder if one or two of their divisions could mess with the UFC equivalent. HW will generally be wide open for anyone to make a move. If Minakov comes back in dominant fashion, then they can argue that point. They need a few prospects to show up as well. Ed Ruth can still be a great fighter. Now we know that Gracie is legit, and so we have two top prospects for the price of one. Pico and McKee are as good of prospects at 145 as anyone anywhere. Sadly they will never fight each other, but I think that Bellator can make some real money off of them both. Their WMMA divisions have some potential to move the need as well, at least in terms of live attendance in the right markets.

The short version is no. They aren't gaining meaningful ground in the sport, and I don't see them doing anything in 2019 to change that a great deal either. They need to survive and continue working on developing their prospects and champion brands. I like a lot of what Coker does, but this was always an insane longshot to succeed.

The paying casual crowd doesn't care about the Jon Jones drama and they care even less about Bellator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back