Bellator choses NOT to re-sign LaRue Burley,

LaRue had to go, they need extra cash to pay for Kimbo.

Holy fuck. Scott Coker and his management team are absolute, complete and utter cans.

This is probably making room for Hendo after he loses to Gegard, gotta have some cash to pay Hendo $800k/fight to not train and throw inside low leg kick to overhand right.

Door closed on return to bellator. They said they were interested then didn't have the money to sign him. He is planning on fighting in April for RFA. Makes sense a lot of power guys are there

Scott Coker is to Bellator what Nero was to Rome

Waiting for people to say the UFC is a disgrace if they don't pick this guy up like they complained when the UFC didn't sign Askren (even though Bellator let him go, but no, bad UFC!!!)

This legit made me laugh out loud.

However, the "not having enough money" thing makes it sound to me like maybe larue asked for some big money. It might have been a "You're good, but not that good, have fun throwing that number around elsewhere" sort of situation. Like maybe they had to sacrifice Larue and his salary demands to keep from having a bunch of other fighters asking for big bumps too.

Not saying it's right or wrong they did that. I can see both sides, but thats what it sounds like to me might have happened

He might be asking for too much money. So I don't really care - he's slow and boring to watch. Bellator is doing a great job signing big names and prospects, so lets just wait and see what Coker does next.

Waiting for people to say the UFC is a disgrace if they don't pick this guy up like they complained when the UFC didn't sign Askren (even though Bellator let him go, but no, bad UFC!!!)

What an irrational defense of UFC. No question they should have signed a 12-0 #2 promotion champ, and Bellator tried to but they got rebuffed. They didn't release him. That's spin. They tried to negotiate but when they were at an impasse because he wanted to pursue a UFC offer, Bellator waived the rest of their matching period like critics wanted them to do with Eddie. Damned if you do damned if you don't in Zuffa Zombies like yourselves eyes I guess.

This situation is completely different and you should know it or you're a fool. LaRue Burley is a 5-0 prelim fighter so it's perfectly fine if Zuffa doesn't sign him right away and Bellator did actually release him with some stupid excuse like tens of billions of dollar media giant Viacom didn't have the 5k/5k per fight to pay him anymore, but they have hundreds of thousands per for Kimbo.

I don't think UFC needs to pick him up but RFA is perfect for him. Should get tested by some high level guys and maybe even Main Event. Then if he does well, jump into UFC.

Strange ass move for Bellator but as has been stated. Maybe his demands were high. Never know. Still big mishap for them.

The convenient changes in rules, the undeserved title shots, the frivalous use of interim titles, and the phantom injuries to setup certain fights. Not to mention mismatched tournament brackets in order to setup certain finals.

Bjorn's blatant favoritism towards certain fighters was downright disrespectful. Not long ago fighters still in the organization today, even some of it's current champions, complained about this.

You're pretty gullible if you think most of that was Bjorn's doing. He's a shady promoter as most are, but manufacturing title challengers and champs was the complete opposite of his M.O. He was stubborn as hell about a strict tourney format yielding challengers, and not caring about nationalities/marketability, probably to a fault before Viacom took over. After they did, as president he might have carried some of their directives out and been a convenient scapegoat though.

If Bjorn ever comes back, I hope he does learn some from the mistakes he did make with Bellator when he had virtually full control of it pre-Viacom. The tourney format, without some flexibility in it, is not ideal. Just because you did something in the past doesn't mean you need to do it in the future or you're some kind of cheating phony. It's called an evolution. But Bjorn's basic ideologies of how to run a promotion were good overall for MMA, vastly superior to Viacom who are short-sighted and stuck in the past.

This legit made me laugh out loud.

80s hair bands are always good for that.

However, the "not having enough money" thing makes it sound to me like maybe larue asked for some big money. It might have been a "You're good, but not that good, have fun throwing that number around elsewhere" sort of situation. Like maybe they had to sacrifice Larue and his salary demands to keep from having a bunch of other fighters asking for big bumps too.

Not saying it's right or wrong they did that. I can see both sides, but thats what it sounds like to me might have happened

I completely agree that it is impossible to come to a conclusion about a signing or lack thereof without knowing the details. And we do not know the details. It could be that Coker handled the matter professionally and wisely.

80s hair bands are always good for that.

I completely agree that it is impossible to come to a conclusion about a signing or lack thereof without knowing the details. And we do not know the details. It could be that Coker handled the matter professionally and wisely.

His/Viacom's treatment of prospects and originals does not earn them the benefit of the doubt in this situation. The more likely explanation is Bellator merely values established names, even from yesteryear, much more. They don't have the patience, intention, or know-how to take the time to build many fighters up.

Back